2023/2024 Europa League Knockout Round PO

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Benfica advanced as expected. Congratulations! :clapping:

However, they did it in a shameful way, with 2 penalty kicks and a red card.

Toulouse was the only team in the EL playoffs that didn't change a single player from its starting XI between the first and second legs.

Milan advanced as expected. Congratulations! :clapping:

Rennes was eliminated in the EL playoffs for the second season in a row, and in their first post-group stage KO round for the third season in a row. Last time they advanced from a post-group stage KO round was five years ago when they eliminated Real Betis in the EL last 32.

Freiburg advanced as expected. Congratulations! :clapping:

However, it was much harder than expected. They were losing 0-2 at half-time in the second leg, only scored their second in second half added time, and only won in extra-time. At least they didn't benefit from red cards and/or penalty kicks.

At least for Lens the season isn't over yet, they're still alive in the UEFA Youth League.

Congratulations Qarabag! :applause:

Their two goals advantage from the first leg was lost after Jafarguliyev was sent off. But then in extra-time they prevailed, despite playing in numerical disadvantage and Braga getting a penalty kick.

Braga, like Lens, at least is still alive in the UEFA Youth League. But they won't be able to use Roger Fernandes there anymore, he already played thrice for the senior team.

Roma advanced as expected. Congratulations! :clapping:

It was much harder than expected, only after a penalty shootout.

Roma reached the last 16 stage of CL or EL or Conference League for the 10th season in a row. Impressive!

Feyenoord, like Braga and Lens, at least is still alive in the UEFA Youth League. And they too won't be able to use Milambo anymore, he already played thrice for the senior team.

Sparta Praha advanced as expected. Congratulations! :clapping:

They were the most affected team by suspensions between the first and second legs, three starters (Krejci Jr, Rynes and Birmancevic) were unavailable for the second leg.

The last time that Galatasaray progressed from a post-group stage KO round was already over a decade ago, in 2012/2013, when they eliminated Schalke 04 in the CL last 16.

Congratulations Marseille! :applause:

They did something unique, which was changing their manager between the first and second legs!

I'm not sure if Shakhtar's season cand be considered better, worse or equal compared to last season. Last season they only got 6 points in CL, this time they got 9 so that part was clearly better now. But last season Shakhtar eliminated Rennes at this stage and reached the EL last 16, this season they were immediately eliminated by Marseille. So this EL part was clearly worse now. Overall they got a 2-4-4 last season, 10 points in 10 matches, while this time they got a 3-1-4, also 10 points in 8 matches. :upset:

Sporting advanced as expected. Congratulations! :applause:

Young Boys was the the team in EL with more changes in its starting XI between the first and second legs, they changed six players!

Overall it was a balanced playoff round, no team won both legs, and no team won by an aggregate score of more than 2 goals. Let's see if this will keep happening in the following rounds.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Polak

Post by Polak »

Only 3 out of 8 for me here. I got Roma, Benfica and Milan. All the rest were wrong. Surprise of the round for me and probably for most people apart from rpo.castro was Braga going out against Qarabag. Dragonite has hounded me and others for our supposed 'disrespect' to Shakhtar, so I finally predicted them to win, and of course they went and lost :( .
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Polak wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 14:27 Only 3 out of 8 for me here. I got Roma, Benfica and Milan. All the rest were wrong. Surprise of the round for me and probably for most people apart from rpo.castro was Braga going out against Qarabag. Dragonite has hounded me and others for our supposed 'disrespect' to Shakhtar, so I finally predicted them to win, and of course they went and lost :( .
So, you thought that Shakhtar would lose, but you changed your mind because of me? :grin1:

If I remember correctly, you already underrated Marseille before, you didn't even expect them to get this far.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Polak

Post by Polak »

Dragonite wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 17:11
Polak wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 14:27 Only 3 out of 8 for me here. I got Roma, Benfica and Milan. All the rest were wrong. Surprise of the round for me and probably for most people apart from rpo.castro was Braga going out against Qarabag. Dragonite has hounded me and others for our supposed 'disrespect' to Shakhtar, so I finally predicted them to win, and of course they went and lost :( .
So, you thought that Shakhtar would lose, but you changed your mind because of me? :grin1:

If I remember correctly, you already underrated Marseille before, you didn't even expect them to get this far.
I was joking.

I didn't expect much from Shakhtar in the CL group stage. I thought they would finish bottom but they were 3rd and also beat Barcelona at home. Marseille on the other hand went out in the CL qualifiers to Panathinaikos and are only mid table in France at the moment. I thought Shakhtar would be stronger than Marseille. Apparently not.