2023/2024 Europa League Round of 16

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
emortal

Post by emortal »

BurningStorm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 00:39
matt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 00:26 How can this be a red for Qarabag while that nasty Rakitic foul not even worth of a (second) yellow in last season's EL final? Unbelievable.
(same ref)
I don't know the Rakitic foul anymore but in this Qarabag case it was seen as a last-man-foul and then it doesn't have to be a hard foul. It was a foul for sure and the only question was if it's a last man foul of if the other player is in reach.
It's been many years that the "last man" rule has changed.

A red card is given only in case of "an obvious goal-scoring opportunity".
Falco

Post by Falco »

Lorric wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 00:14
Polak wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 23:46
Lorric wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 23:01 Brighton bow out with a 1-0 win for the coefficient. It was a very good performance, they were unlucky not to score more than one, though certainly didn't do enough to recover the tie.
You could be the only Englishman in the world who cares about english coefficient :grin1: .
Not anymore. They were talking about it in the comments on the Villa win article on the BBC. About Villa helping their own cause for that 5th CL place.
I'm a Tottenham fan and normally don't care about any other English clubs in Europe, but it looks like we could benefit if England overtake Germany for the extra CL place next season. I felt a bit dirty having to cheer on West Ham for the first time in my life :grin1:
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

emortal wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 09:58
BurningStorm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 00:39
matt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 00:26 How can this be a red for Qarabag while that nasty Rakitic foul not even worth of a (second) yellow in last season's EL final? Unbelievable.
(same ref)
I don't know the Rakitic foul anymore but in this Qarabag case it was seen as a last-man-foul and then it doesn't have to be a hard foul. It was a foul for sure and the only question was if it's a last man foul of if the other player is in reach.
It's been many years that the "last man" rule has changed.

A red card is given only in case of "an obvious goal-scoring opportunity".
Which was the case IMO. And yeah, I know about the rule change, but it's still the word I use for this. Even tv commentators do this, despite knowing the correct rule. In the most cases it's the same anyway.
Last edited by BurningStorm on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Patrick Schick with the 2 late goals for Leverkusen to continue their amazing season was the standout for me.

I didn't expect West Ham to beat Freiburg like that either, West Ham is such a bipolar team.
Polak

Post by Polak »

4 out of 8 from the previous round. Very average. Got Liverpool, Bayer Leverkusen (easy ones), Roma and West Ham and missed Milan, Atalanta, Benfica and Marseille.