Max number of clubs per association in European football

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

rpo.castro wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:01
OlliWender wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 18:54 I've been wondering for some time if it would maybe make sense to determine the access list and number of teams not by place in the ranking, but by total coefficient points.

Maybe somthing like:
0 - 3 points (San Marino) 1 CL + 1 UECL
3 - 6 ( Gibraltar, Montenegro, Wales, Andorra) 1CL + 2 UECL
6 - 12 etc. (Belarus ... Kosovo) 1CL + 3 UECL
13 - 20 1 CL + 1 EL + 2 UECL
etc.
over 75 points: 4 CL + 2 EL + 1 UECL

I know it would lead to the overall number of international teams fluctuating every season, but for example, Portugal (56.3) is only 5 points behind the Netherlands (61.3), but will have 1 CL place less now, the same number as Belgium (48.6) and Turkey (38.6), even though quality wise they're much closer to NL.
By the same logic, there's no way that France should have the same number of teams as the Big 4 as long as they're almost 20 points behind them.
The problem with current ranking is the gap sometimes is to big between two consecutive places, like 5th and 6th, and this was made clearly to help France.
So the problem isn't the system/ranking, its the way you apply it.
The Access list is such that the Top 5 countries do not play in the qualifiers at all, except PO ECL. This gives them a huge advantage over other countries. France was only 8th according to the Country coefficient in 2021 with a coefficient of 7,916, but with the new access list in 2022 it takes 16,316, then 12,583, and this season so far 16,083 with two more clubs in the game. It is not unimportant that from next season France regularly plays with 3 or 4 clubs in the GS CL, maybe sometimes with 5 clubs, this will inject huge money into the strongest French clubs in the coming years. So we can expect France to fight for fourth place from 2026 onwards. :D
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I have looked mainly at places 6-9 as thats where Netherlands was for almost all years in the last 30 years. And where with each reforment the top-5 won and sometimes lower spots from 10 downwards were compensated 6-9 lost the most. From serious title contenders in a good year to making the 1/8th final in a good year. I'm curious how the new system will work. I am not really interested in it anymore, maybe the new system will bring it back?