Chelsea 6.00

For bottom 3:
Burnley 1.15
Luton 1.30
Nottm Forest 2.15
Looks just about right to me.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Newcastle above United for me, United has a sure loss to Arsenal while Newcastle has 3 winnable matches.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Firnen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 01:25 Newcastle above United for me, United has a sure loss to Arsenal while Newcastle has 3 winnable matches.
United to Intertoto cup? Sign me up! :up:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

The run ins for the clubs with European interests:

Aston Villa 67 points, 3 games left: Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Crystal Palace (a) - surely they gather 3 points and 70 points should be enough
Tottenham 60, 5: Chelsea (a), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Man City (h), Sheffield United (a) - minimum 6 points, but less than 10, enough to keep 5th
MU 54, 4: Crystal Palace (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (h), Brighton (a) - 9 points possible, but probably less
Newcastle 53, 4: Burnley (a), Brighton (h), MU (a), Brentford (a) - maybe 7 points, their game away to MU could be decisive
West Ham 49, 3: Chelsea (a), Luton (h), Man City (a) - even if they win all 3 games won't be enough to finish 7th
Chelsea 48, 5: Tottenham (h), West Ham (h), Nottingham (a), Brighton (a), Bournemouth (h) - they might need to win all 5 games to catch Newcastle, not impossible, but highly improbable
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I can't wait for Tottenham in the EL. I wonder what club this time will repeat a story with Mura. Maybe Petrocub or Pyunik fans will have a reason to celebrate after beating "English giant - mighty Tottenham".
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Greyn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 18:42 I can't wait for Tottenham in the EL. I wonder what club this time will repeat a story with Mura. Maybe Petrocub or Pyunik fans will have a reason to celebrate after beating "English giant - mighty Tottenham".
I'd rather see Chelsea than Tottenham in the EL. Their name is much more attractive for small teams in the East. They might have a chance for the Intertoto cup, but I don't want them at the expense of Newcastle.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

bugylibicska wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 19:09
Greyn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 18:42 I can't wait for Tottenham in the EL. I wonder what club this time will repeat a story with Mura. Maybe Petrocub or Pyunik fans will have a reason to celebrate after beating "English giant - mighty Tottenham".
I'd rather see Chelsea than Tottenham in the EL. Their name is much more attractive for small teams in the East. They might have a chance for the Intertoto cup, but I don't want them at the expense of Newcastle.
I have same wish - Newcastle qualifying instead of Chelsea. Reason is very silly - Alan Shearer was one of my favourite strikers in my childhood (along with Jari Litmanen). At least I don't know for what other reason I like Newcastle.

As for Chelsea - I don't like clubs which waste huge sums of money and Chelsea's owner is a kind of person who probably thought that money is all he need to build a strong team. He should have taken a lesson from United and their owners who wasted tons of money with very poor effect. Instead, he made same mistake and after spending millions he still has no team for top European level.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Greyn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 19:54
I have same wish - Newcastle qualifying instead of Chelsea. Reason is very silly - Alan Shearer was one of my favourite strikers in my childhood (along with Jari Litmanen). At least I don't know for what other reason I like Newcastle.

As for Chelsea - I don't like clubs which waste huge sums of money and Chelsea's owner is a kind of person who probably thought that money is all he need to build a strong team. He should have taken a lesson from United and their owners who wasted tons of money with very poor effect. Instead, he made same mistake and after spending millions he still has no team for top European level.
Well, I've started out with Tottenham, because of Jimmy Greaves. Then Nottingham Forest after their double CL (then EC) triumph with Brian Clough. Liked Leeds and Newcastle later. Chelsea and MU run by stupid people, like the world run by the same ones.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I wouldn't expect that in the EL, they usually at least get out of the group. They'd care more about the EL than ECL.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Greyn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 19:54

That clown Boehly would probably be happy in the Conference League. Because that's what they have in American sports, conferences. So maybe he'll think it's the best competition! :tongue:
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

bugylibicska wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 23:45
Well, I've started out with Tottenham, because of Jimmy Greaves. Then Nottingham Forest after their double CL (then EC) triumph with Brian Clough. Liked Leeds and Newcastle later. Chelsea and MU run by stupid people, like the world run by the same ones.
I remember I did read somewhere an article about Brian Clough. He had very harsh methods of work with players and was a type of coach like Felix Magath. His dream was getting a job as England NT manager, but he never got it. Clough called Tomaszewski "a clown" in the TV studio before England - Poland match in 1973 and then Tomaszewski had an outstanding match and thanks to him Poland qualified for the WC 74' at the expense of England. :grin1:
Lorric wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 00:23 I wouldn't expect that in the EL, they usually at least get out of the group. They'd care more about the EL than ECL.
Well, their only aims are EPL and CL. Maybe they would take this competition seriously since they believe that they are so super-big and super-strong club that they have more than 80% to win this trophy and qualify for the CL next year as EL winners. They would also play vs much stronger and more "attractive" company in comparison to the clubs participating in the ECL. I guess it would also motivate them.
Lorric wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 00:29
That clown Boehly would probably be happy in the Conference League. Because that's what they have in American sports, conferences. So maybe he'll think it's the best competition! :tongue:
Guy seems to be completely clueless in every matter. He probably thinks that there is no difference between running a top football club and a chain of stores. Unfortunately for him, the former is much more complicated.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

I've seen the game on Hungarian tv, Tomaszevski "kivédte a szemüket" - difficult to translate this phrase, but he saved everything. I remember somebody called him a clown, but didn't know it was Clough.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

bugylibicska wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 04:31 I've seen the game on Hungarian tv, Tomaszevski "kivédte a szemüket" - difficult to translate this phrase, but he saved everything. I remember somebody called him a clown, but didn't know it was Clough.
Yes, it was Clough.
The match is also indelibly linked with Brian Clough, one of the most successful football managers of the era, because he dubbed Poland's goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski a "clown".
Half-a-century since Brian Clough and the night of "The Clown" at Wembley Stadium
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... omaszewski
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Greyn wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 04:42
bugylibicska wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 04:31 I've seen the game on Hungarian tv, Tomaszevski "kivédte a szemüket" - difficult to translate this phrase, but he saved everything. I remember somebody called him a clown, but didn't know it was Clough.
Yes, it was Clough.
The match is also indelibly linked with Brian Clough, one of the most successful football managers of the era, because he dubbed Poland's goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski a "clown".
Half-a-century since Brian Clough and the night of "The Clown" at Wembley Stadium
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... omaszewski
A trip down on memory lane, thanks. Just watched the awesome Jokic, Murray pair knocked out the Lakers with LeBron James! :up:
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

in the recovery match: Chelsea beat Tottenham 2-0.
For Spurs: 3rd defeat in a row in the Premier League, 4th place is 7 points away, and they have 1 game less than Aston.