English Football 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Some statpadding for Haaland today. And it works for those who want to force a recreation of the Messi-Penaldo debate between him and Mbappé.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Zapping between cycling races led me to Liverpool-Tottenham. Something is very wrong: heavy rain and beautiful sunshine in Liverpool!
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

This will be the 4th straight defeat for Tottenham. Liverpool beat them 4:0 after 65 minutes.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

bugylibicska wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 18:58 This will be the 4th straight defeat for Tottenham. Liverpool beat them 4:0 after 65 minutes.
They're doing their best to give Newcastle fans hope for 5th place, which won't mean CL as was expected a few weeks ago, but might be the difference between going to Europa League and going to the Conference.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

mspm89 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 23:28
bugylibicska wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 18:58 This will be the 4th straight defeat for Tottenham. Liverpool beat them 4:0 after 65 minutes.
They're doing their best to give Newcastle fans hope for 5th place, which won't mean CL as was expected a few weeks ago, but might be the difference between going to Europa League and going to the Conference.
Newcastle have to be careful, looks like Chelsea have woken up, though they might represent more danger for MU. Spurs should be OK for 5th place, they still have to play Burnley and Sheffield United and City will beat the neighbours in the cup final.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Tottenham has to play Burnley and Sheffield, that's 6 points.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Firnen wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 00:47
Tottenham has to play Burnley and Sheffield, that's 6 points.
I know, but their form is abysmal. I would be worried at least about the Burnley game if I was a Spurs fan.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

I became curious and checked it out at William Hill:

English Premier League 2023/24 - Top 6 Finish

Tottenham 1.02
Newcastle 1.57
Chelsea 3.75
Man Utd 4.00

The wacko might miss out even on the Intertoto cup. :rollfloor:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 17:23
bugylibicska wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:59
Oldelpaso wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:28

That link is broken for me, but West Ham have traditionally played expansive, attacking football. Managers who follow that blueprint, such as Harry Redknapp, are popular there. Pragmatists like Moyes and Allardyce are very much not. West Ham's self image is based around the likes of Bobby Moore, the "Academy of Football" tag and so on. A substantial proportion of the West Ham support would rather they played in a more attacking manner even if it meant a lower league position. There's only so much of having 30% possession and hoping Bowen can do something on the break people can watch. Especially when its in an athletics stadium with dreadful sightlines, which has a fraction of the atmosphere of Upton Park.
I couldn't follow English football in the time of Bobby Moore, in Hungary Italy were No.1 and France a distant 2nd. I remember when Ferguson said: I've never understood what is the West Ham way. Yeah, it's not much fun watching your team parking the bus and outshot by 32:1 like happened in Leverkusen, but there is no doubt David Moyes has overseen one of the most successful eras in the club's modern history over the past four years. Three consecutive years in Europe - a club record. Two top-seven finishes in the Premier League. Silverware for the first time since 1980. It has been a wonderful time since he returned in 2020. His win percentage of 45.81% makes him the most successful manager in the club's history, eclipsing the 43.6% achieved by Billy Bonds in the early 1990s.
This is an often discussed topic in the comments sections of West Ham matches on the BBC if you want to see how the West Ham fans feel. Of course some of them are behind Moyes, but a lot want him gone, and for a good number it is about not liking the brand of football. Plenty though also think the team would do better under a new manager.

I don't watch West Ham in the Premier League, but I've enjoyed their performances in Europe very much. I hope they keep Moyes.
Hope was in vain. Moyes out, Lopetegui in next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 0z7w94wy4o

Thanks for the memories.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 19:16
Lorric wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 17:23
bugylibicska wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:59

I couldn't follow English football in the time of Bobby Moore, in Hungary Italy were No.1 and France a distant 2nd. I remember when Ferguson said: I've never understood what is the West Ham way. Yeah, it's not much fun watching your team parking the bus and outshot by 32:1 like happened in Leverkusen, but there is no doubt David Moyes has overseen one of the most successful eras in the club's modern history over the past four years. Three consecutive years in Europe - a club record. Two top-seven finishes in the Premier League. Silverware for the first time since 1980. It has been a wonderful time since he returned in 2020. His win percentage of 45.81% makes him the most successful manager in the club's history, eclipsing the 43.6% achieved by Billy Bonds in the early 1990s.
This is an often discussed topic in the comments sections of West Ham matches on the BBC if you want to see how the West Ham fans feel. Of course some of them are behind Moyes, but a lot want him gone, and for a good number it is about not liking the brand of football. Plenty though also think the team would do better under a new manager.

I don't watch West Ham in the Premier League, but I've enjoyed their performances in Europe very much. I hope they keep Moyes.
Hope was in vain. Moyes out, Lopetegui in next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 0z7w94wy4o

Thanks for the memories.
Bad choice. Moyes might be back soon, the 3rd time. When he left the 1st time Pellegrini came and went soon and Moyes was called back.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Crystal Palace 2-0 Manchester United at the moment. Key match for the other United, this one. I really, really want the Europa League rather than the Conference. Not that they'll do a Tottenham, every European season is taken very seriously by the fandom and the new ownership must've picked up on that already. But even if they win the trophy it will be heavily downplayed by people. The only reason it's not more widely derided is the fact that Mourinho won the first one and he still has a lot of dickriders.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

I'd prefer EL over ECL, too, but ECL also better than nothing. Looks like the wackos miss out on Europe altogether. I've read that Bayern Munchen might hire ten Hag? What are they smoking over there? :rollfloor:
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Crystal Palace has managed to stay in the PL for God knows how many years in part due to this ability to sucker punch more famous teams when they least expect it. I think they have more victories over Pep's City than any other "small" team.
Last edited by mspm89 on Thu May 09, 2024 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

4:0! The goal difference of MU is -3!!! :down:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Bring on Gary Neville. Shave his head, he might look smarter. Why import shit when Gary is there?