WC 2010 Qualifiers - Group 2 (GRE-ISR-SUI-LVA-MDA-LUX)

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
El del Punyalet

Post by El del Punyalet »

I think that Greece will get the first place. All possibilities are open, but it is the most stable team. Israel will not reach higher that 3rd place; they are too inexperienced.
Que tremoli l'enemic
en veient la nostra ensenya.
Com fem caure espigues d'or,
quan convé seguem cadenes.
VISCA BARCA! -Mes que un club-
ilias

Post by ilias »

El del Punyalet wrote:I think that Greece will get the first place. All possibilities are open, but it is the most stable team. Israel will not reach higher that 3rd place; they are too inexperienced.
Don't forget that the word "chaos" has greek origins :)
fcz

Post by fcz »

Luxembourg - Latvia 0-4
25' G. Karlsons
48' A. Caunas
71' A. Visnakovs
86' A. Pereplotkins

Moldova - Switzerland 0-2
32' A. Frei
93' G. Fernandes
Switzerland got their 3 points (how isn't important ;)).

Israel - Greece 1-1
42' T. Gekas 0-1
55' O. Golan 1-1
Good result for Switzerland :)

Code: Select all

1. Greece      5 3 1 1 10:3 10 Pt.
2. Switzerland 5 3 1 1 9:6  10 Pt.
3. Israel      5 2 3 0 9:6   9 Pt.
4. Latvia      5 2 1 2 8:6   7 Pt.
5. Luxembourg  5 1 1 3 3:11  4 Pt.
6. Moldova     5 0 1 4 2:9   1 Pt.
Olympiakos

Post by Olympiakos »

If the game was to end at 85th minute I would say a draw is a more proper result, but those 2 unique chances in the end by "Patsa" and Charisteas leave a bitter taste. That home loss by Swiss made huge damage
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

That draw in Latvia made a huge damage for us.
I think that it won't help us too much to win in Greece, because we will need to win in Switzerland as well anyway. Therefor we should be careful and try to finish the next match in a draw too...
aekFC4ever

Post by aekFC4ever »

Important wins for Greece and Switzerland who lead with 13 points. .3rd is now Latvia who really can do something with these 7 points gained in the last three matches. . And yes, that draw of Israel with Latvia made a damage to Israel which is now 4 points less than Euro2004 winners and the host of Euro2008. .Things are getting clearer in the 6th leg. . :twisted:
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Of course the match Switzerland-Luxembourg was a huge surprise... on the other hand it looked quite logic to me to expect Greece and Switzerland to fight for the 1st spot at the end...

Latvia and Israel can play football - that's clear... but Latvia 2004 or some performances of Israel aren't what they do all the time.
Greece and Switzerland are simply stronger overall - what of course again doesn't mean they already won... it just puts them in the role of favorites... and that's what happened so far.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

:D

It's me again... hello everyone supporting one of the teams in this group :wink:

It might not be the hot-shot-group of the qualification... nevertheless I have big respect for all of the teams here which could qualify for the world cup. And after all... it's one of the closest and most interesting groups... in fact others are more easy than this one... because there are always groups with one big team in great form (and maybe another in weaker shape)... there's hardly another group where all three top3 pot teams could finish first (even still now) even when all others are in good shape and mood. :D

I will try to - just for fun - look at bit at what the teams are doing now... if they are in good form or in real trouble :roll:
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

Vickzq wrote::D

there's hardly another group where all three top3 pot teams could finish first (even still now) even when all others are in good shape and mood. :D
That's because the pot 1&2 teams of this group are the weakest teams a group could possibly get.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Lusankya wrote:
Vickzq wrote::D

there's hardly another group where all three top3 pot teams could finish first (even still now) even when all others are in good shape and mood. :D
That's because the pot 1&2 teams of this group are the weakest teams a group could possibly get.
Yes... there I agree completely... but this makes the group at least interesting.

HT 0:0 so far for Sui-Gre... and one player of greece got two yellow cards... referee didn't give penalty for Switzerland because the foul happened before game was reopened by the whistle... in some way bad in some way lucky for greece so far...
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

O.K. the matches are over...

0:0 Moldova-Luxembourg
0:1 Israel-Latvia (a bit surprising maybe)
2:0 Switzerland-Greece

I watched the third match (obviously).

Well... of course the referee decision helped to decide the match. But I do not really agree with Rehagel... it's possible to give the card (the player was just dumb), and the referee didn't really send him of because of this interference (the problem was just he already had a yellow card before).
In some way Greece showed a disappointing attitude... they never played to win - not only after they had 10 men left. They just knew that a draw would be good and thought they would get that just defending for 90 min... the same mistake they did more or less in the home-match.
Switzerland wasn't a dream-team either... but hey... they are the pot3 team in this draw... so does anybody want to blaim them because the group isn't the hardest? At least they tried to play... and the dismiss was positive for them, of course... and after all... a bit luck can change a lot :D

O.K., it isn't over yet. Anything can still happen... :shock:

But in the moment when everybody laughed at Switzerland because they lost against Luxembourg :lol: ... they tried to recover and fight :twisted: ... while everything looked nice for Greece 8) ... which twice played like they just needed to defend a bit and get a draw. :roll:
Olympiakos

Post by Olympiakos »

De Bleeckere, what a nice lady you are, pussy. Why did they handed to him another game of Swiss after what happened with Turkey??

I get dangerously pissed off when people talk and talk about the "best" referees, who "incidentally" become the biggest clowns in the game, like him yesterday.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Olympiakos wrote:De Bleeckere, what a nice lady you are, pussy. Why did they handed to him another game of Swiss after what happened with Turkey??

I get dangerously pissed off when people talk and talk about the "best" referees, who "incidentally" become the biggest clowns in the game, like him yesterday.
To be frank... that is just a loser's comment you made :D . He clearly showed Vyntra to keep his hand close to the body and not holding Magnin. It's not the referee to blaim... the player is just a noob.

After what happened with Turkey? Well... what happened with Turkey??? Nothing... the match was important... all decisions were fair... the problem was just the turk supporters can't loose in a fair manner and started to beat the others up... should the referee got blaimed for it or rather the turk team... be a real MAN not a CHILD... you know the answer already :twisted:
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

I forgot to add something to my last comment... don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the team of Greece.

Overall... especially looking at the tactics they had in the matches against Switzerland (probably considered as strongest opponents for the first place) I'm a bit disappointed... and this is for 100% sure not De Bleeckere's fault or something... rather the one of Otto Rehagel!!!
O.K., he did well with Greece in 2004... but not by playing nicely... by defending well. But later on... 2006 qualifiers or 2008 final rounds one could see that other teams had adapted to the greek play.
Greece has a decent, very good team with good players... why do they just defend and wait for counter-attacks???? Even when they play the strongest opponent for qualification AT HOME in GREECE???
:o
Just because a draw would have been enough??? :cry:

Man... stick to reality... neither Latvia, nor Israel or Switzerland are dream-teams (but they can play football). But Greece tried to play minimal football like Italy often did... and was punished... that's all... Rehagel's tactics are old fashioned... maybe too old.
Olympiakos

Post by Olympiakos »

Vickzq wrote: To be frank... that is just a loser's comment you made :D . He clearly showed Vyntra to keep his hand close to the body and not holding Magnin. It's not the referee to blaim... the player is just a noob.
Are you serious? Can you tell me how many times you have seen a referee warning players before a free kick and then nothing happening even though they are holding each other?? Almost all the time, isn't it? Don't try to make black look like white, this referee had only one purpose in mind, and that was to push (again) Switzerland. Enough said.

And yes, I don't like Rehaggel's tactics either, until 2004 this old-fashion style paid off, but as you say with Greece quality and especially as a european champion you have to play different, more initiative football. We yet to see such a football.