Sweden

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Michele

Sweden

Post by Michele »

5 mins ago the Swedish squad was announced. To a large extent, it consists of well-known and expected players, but there are a few surprises too, especially in defence.

The squad looks like this:
Andreas Isaksson
John Alvbåge
Rami Shaaban

Teddy Lucic
Olof Mellberg
Petter Hansson
Erik Edman
Mikael Nilsson
Karl Svensson
Fredrik Stenman

Tobias Linderoth
Niclas Alexandersson
Anders Svensson
Fredrik Ljungberg
Kim Källström
Daniel Andersson
Christian Wilhelmsson

Henrik Larsson
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Markus Rosenberg
Marcus Allbäck
Johan Elmander
Mattias Jonson

I'm surprised that Alexander Östlund has been dropped from the squad. His replacements are found among the three surprises as I see it, Mikael Nilsson, Fredrik Stenman & Karl Svensson. Or maybe Niclas Alexandersson will play the right back.

The midfield is more or less exactly as I expected, very strong and with some good subs. The attacking 6 are also exactly who I expected. Zlatan and Larsson as the natural starters, Rosenberg as a danger from the bench and Allbäck as a very cynical striker who is about to become top scorer in the Danish league. Elmander and Jonson can both play in attack or in midfield, one young and one old, and they probably won't see too much time on the pitch.

A final comment: I'm a bit shocked to see Rami Shaaban back in the squad. He was a great talent when he moved to Arsenal, but after his broken leg, I haven't really noticed him too much. Apparently, he must have played well in Fredrikstad in Norway. His performance has pushed 39 year old Bengt Andersson down to reserve and my favourite for 3rd keeper, Eddie Gustavsson completely out.