2014 WC QUAL UEFA GRP A - CRO - SER - BEL - SCO - MAC - WAL

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
maluyaca

Post by maluyaca »

Everybody who follows belgian football knows that Leekens is a defensive coach.
zender

Post by zender »

A 4-3-3 formation is hardly a "defensive formation" to keep it simple just check the last 3 games of the Belgian squad. Greece, France and Romenia.

I do admit that he loves his 'organisation" but I won't call him defensive. The lack of goals at the last recent games can't be pinned on him. The Belgian squad is great but they miss a striker that actually gets to play at his club.
zender

Post by zender »

Belgium is looking for a new coach after media reported that Bruges has contracted him for 3 seasons.

Who is still available...
VeliborVasovic

Post by VeliborVasovic »

zender wrote:Belgium is looking for a new coach after media reported that Bruges has contracted him for 3 seasons.

Van Gaal.
zender

Post by zender »

VeliborVasovic wrote:
zender wrote:Belgium is looking for a new coach after media reported that Bruges has contracted him for 3 seasons.

Van Gaal.
I don't think that the Belgian FA can afford him though.
NightfallSD

Post by NightfallSD »

After being suspended in Fiorentina Ljajic now managed to get himself thrown out of the national team. That kid is just brilliant.
Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! - Albert Einstein
Ubi bene, ibi patria - Gala Placidia
agram

Post by agram »

he is suspended because he did not want to sing a national anthem of serbia
:shock:

sinisa mihajlovic set a new rule-all NT players must sing national anthem before the international game, and ljajic refused to do so, because he is not ethnical serb :shock:
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

agram wrote:he is suspended because he did not want to sing a national anthem of serbia
:shock:

sinisa mihajlovic set a new rule-all NT players must sing national anthem before the international game, and ljajic refused to do so, because he is not ethnical serb :shock:
Even as an ethnical Serb you should have the right to not sing the national anthem. :roll:

I would never do something the coach requires the players to do if I don't want to do it (and it is unrelated to football).

I want to add that I don't know the complete background of this story, so maybe there is more to this than just the refusal to sing the national anthem.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

agram wrote:he is not ethnical serb :shock:
where does he come from?

he's still U21, why doesn't he change his "nationality"? or why did he accept to play for Serbia if he didn't feel Serbian?
ignjat63

Post by ignjat63 »

The truth is, Serbian national anthem speaks of Serbs only and not of, what these days could be termed as the citizens of Serbia. I suppose most national anthems are the same.

What really matters, though, is that Sinisa Mihajlovic has introduced some rules of behavior in the national team. From what I gathered from the news he has drawn some kind of contract that the players must sign when playing for the national team. Singing the anthem is part of that.

My personal, unimportant opinion, is that such rules undermine the players' dignity. It just shows Mihajlovic's narrow-mindedness. Plain stupidity, to put it bluntly. The players are not kindergarten babies.

On the other hand, it is not clear at all why Ljajic has changed his mind. He seems to have accepted the conditions and then rejected them. Not a very serious, dependable person.
ignjat63

Post by ignjat63 »

Lyonnais wrote:
agram wrote:he is not ethnical serb :shock:
where does he come from?

he's still U21, why doesn't he change his "nationality"? or why did he accept to play for Serbia if he didn't feel Serbian?
I'll try to explain as best as I can.

Ljajic is a Muslim. Where did the Muslims came from into this parts? Well, partly they were Turks (Ottoman Empire), partly Serbs and Croats who, in them days changed the religion and became Muslim. The important thing is, by changing religion they stopped being Serbs and Croats, and for a long time had not a distinct national identity. These days they call themselves Bosniaks (as opposed to Bosnians - all the people living in Bosnia).

You know the movie director Emir Kusturica? He was born into a Muslim Bosniak family in Bosnia. Because his ancestors were Serbs he felt compelled to change his religion and is now Orthodox Cristian. Not a very popular move among Bosniaks and he is now despised among them - considered some kind of traitor.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that it's not as easy as that, but he could have chosen to play for Bosnia instead.

We also had this debate about singing or not the national anthem in France. In the 70s and 80s, none player was singing it and this didn't hurt anybody but under the pressure of some politicians in the right (right extreme), the issue was raised in the late 90s.
Players are required (advised) to sing it, but some of them don't do it (typically Benzema). I have not heard politicians complaining yet, but I guess that if the NT has some good results this summer and thus if there is more attention to the NT again, the issue will arise again I am afraid.
ignjat63

Post by ignjat63 »

I should clarify an important point. Bosniak means a Muslim regardless of where he lives - Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro (ex-YU space) etc. Ljajic is from Serbia.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

I thought it was traditional to watch the camera pan over a group of men mumbling their anthem while one guy belts it out! :D
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

Michael S Collins wrote:I thought it was traditional to watch the camera pan over a group of men mumbling their anthem while one guy belts it out! :D
Personally I am used to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ljs-WV ... age#t=416s