Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lubomir25

Euro 2020

Post by Lubomir25 »

Scotland, Wales, and the Republic of Ireland have made a joint bid for euro 2020, they are bidding against Turkey and Georgia

Post by 1 »

for a long time turkey seemed as the only favourites to host. but uefa began to have a more sceptic approach to turkey's bid because of the match-fixing scandal and unsatifsying "punishments" (no club was punished but only inviduals) http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/05/15 ... -23860283/

tbh i wouldnt like to see a euro c'ship in the city i live in. i dislike "national team" football in general.

imo ireland-scotland-wales bid has one disadvantage.. three automatic qualifications of non-regular big competition participants seem "too much" despite number of teams are expanded to 24
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

I don't think 3 automatic qualifiers is to much with a 24 team tournament. Ireland and Scotland would have a good chance of qualifying anyway, so it is only Wales that will be instead of another team. Still the best 20+ teams qualify.

I think it will be between the Scotland/Ireland/Wales bid and the Turkey bid. I can't see such a small country as Georgia organise a 24-team tournament on their own. You need at least 10 stadiums of 30000+. Georgia probably has to build 8 or more new stadiums then that will hardly be used after the tournament.
Friesland

Post by Friesland »

Turkey will host this tournament for sure. I don't think the match fixing scandal will change anything. Perhaps there chances dropped from 99% to 95%, but they're still the clear favourites to host the Euro 2020 tournament.
fillow

Post by fillow »

Georgia bid can't be serious. They probably won't reach the final voting.
I'm 95% sure Turkey will get Euro '20
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

I am 99% sure Turkey will get the 2020 finals. UEFA seem to like to reward continual efforts at bidding.

Scotland/Ireland/Wales would be lovely, but I can't see it happening.

Post by 1 »

currently there are four top-class stadiums which can easily host international events. and one is under construction. so even if Turkey wins, there's not much business left to do

Atatürk Olimpiyat, İstanbul
*Hosted 2005 Champions League final
*Doesn't belong to a particular club but it's used by İstanbul Bş. Bld. since 2006-07 season
*Galatasaray played all home matches there in 2003-04 season, and Champions League group stage matches in 2006-07
*Also some other clubs used it as temporary home stadium for few matches
*It is not home stadium of Turkish national team contrary to what many websites on internet says so :roll: Turkey played there only once (Turkey 2-1 Germany, Friendly, back in 2005). Turkey does not have a national team stadium.

Türk Telekom Arena, İstanbul
*Completed in 2010. Home stadium of Galatasaray since the second half of the 2010-11 season
*National team plays there recently

Kadir Has, Kayseri
*Home of Kayseri, undisputedly the best stadium outside İstanbul
*Opened in March 2009

Şükrü Saracoğlu, İstanbul
*Historical ground of Fenerbahçe since their foundation
*Tribunes demolished and renovated part-by-part (so Fenerbahçe didn't have to leave temporarily) between 1999 and 2006
*Hosted 2009 UEFA Cup final

+

Timsah Arena, Bursa
(Under construction)
It's not being built for possible Euro 2020, they were already planning for a new stadium for Bursa. But when it's completed it can join the "category" of stadiums above. To be opened in 2013 (according to what they say recently)
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

I'm not sure if they will use all these 3 stadiums in Istanbul. Usually not more then 2 stadiums are used in each city during Euro or World Cup.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Scotland has at least 4 ready to use, although 3 are in glasgow, aberdeen have plans to have a new stadium built well before 2020 and wales have the millenium stadium.

Also this is Scotland and Irelands 2nd bid, the last one being for the 2012 euros.

Post by 1 »

Forza AZ wrote:I'm not sure if they will use all these 3 stadiums in Istanbul. Usually not more then 2 stadiums are used in each city during Euro or World Cup.
yes i know, i've just meant there are already 3 in istanbul to pick up 2 from

technically türk telekom arena and atatürk olimpiyat are better but the latter one is (as it's understood on its name) an olympic stadium with an athletism track, so tribunes are far away from the pitch. plus, it's located outside city centre, the surrounding neighborhoods are s**t, nowhere to hang around
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

1) Officially it's only Georgia bidding for the 2020 tournament, but Azerbaijan have joined their campaign. As we all know from the recent Song Contest, in Azerbaijan money doesn't matter.

2) Turkey will be a good choice, for sure.

3) Wales, Scotland, Rep. Ireland is an interesting option. But I can't imagine three automatic qualifiers. Probably the three will play a pre-qualifiers for two spots with the loser going to the regular qualifiers.
Executor

Post by Executor »

greenbay wrote:3) Wales, Scotland, Rep. Ireland is an interesting option. But I can't imagine three automatic qualifiers. Probably the three will play a pre-qualifiers for two spots with the loser going to the regular qualifiers.
With 24 teams, 3 automatic qualifiers would not seem so much. No way we'll ever see a tournament with a missing host.
HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee »

There has been scepticism in the press here that Scotland-Eire-Wales isn't a 'proper' bid ... the 3 associations involved had not even formally agreed anything when the deadline came.

Suggestions have been made that UEFA asked them to bid to make it look like it wasn't just being handed to Turkey, and/or it's opportunism... in the unlikely event Istanbul get 2020 Olympics but UEFA say Turkey cannot do both, then we could pounce.

It would be a proper joint bid with all 3 countries qualifying automatically - there are also plans in Northern Ireland to rebuild Windor Park, Belfast to modern standards... but it won't be 30,000 capacity.

Our bid would face 3 big problems compared to Turkey.

[1] joint bids are always less desirable than single bids... multi currencies, multi governments, fewer qualifying slots

[2] all our big stadia are in just a handful of cities, of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Cardiff

[3] Eire-particular issues... economy is in complete mess, no guarantee of GAA co-operation over stadiums
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

HibeeJibee wrote:in the unlikely event Istanbul get 2020 Olympics but UEFA say Turkey cannot do both, then we could pounce.
In the last few days, the German media have been reporting that UEFA might start a new tender procedure if Istanbul gets the Olympics. And the German FA might consider submitting a bid then, although this is only a vague possibility.

http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball- ... -1.2863891
JK

Post by JK »

Forza AZ wrote:I don't think 3 automatic qualifiers is to much with a 24 team tournament. Ireland and Scotland would have a good chance of qualifying anyway, so it is only Wales that will be instead of another team. Still the best 20+ teams qualify.

I think it will be between the Scotland/Ireland/Wales bid and the Turkey bid. I can't see such a small country as Georgia organise a 24-team tournament on their own. You need at least 10 stadiums of 30000+. Georgia probably has to build 8 or more new stadiums then that will hardly be used after the tournament.
Georgia has a population of over 4 million. So if Qatar with less than 2 million citizens is considered big enough for the WC with 32 teams, a 24 teams Euro should be a piece of cake for Georgia. :tongue: