World maps

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
_GS_

Post by _GS_ »

first of all. USA is a huge country. whole European continent doesnt even have 3x population, and when you include EU-members only (those which are considered as "Western"), ratio is even lower than 1/2. biggest "typical" European country is Germany, which have almost 1/4 of USA's population.

more population = more difficulty to succeed in every aspect of life, more difficulty to offer services. it's a very basic fact... let's say you need 1000 population to raise 1 doctor amongst and you need 1 doctor for 100 patients. even if a larger population means raising more doctors in number, it also means the gap between patients and doctors just keep widening when compared to smaller countries.

some others, like comparisions of song contest, football etc. are totally nonsense so no need to discuss that. i think they just wrote them for fun... because when they stop making fun, they can have a look at all-time olympic medal table.

i would say this was just another typical snobbish supremacist Euro-centrist crap, but it's an American website as it seems, so i guess the guys who wrote that just want to be self-critical

btw it's funny that Europeans are always "one" against "others.. like the USA vs EU comparisions. which means, one country vs a lot of countries...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Yes, of course it was written with tongue-in-cheek, but there`re some truths in all of these. :)
flob

Post by flob »

_GS_ wrote:more population = more difficulty to succeed in every aspect of life, more difficulty to offer services. it's a very basic fact... let's say you need 1000 population to raise 1 doctor amongst and you need 1 doctor for 100 patients. even if a larger population means raising more doctors in number, it also means the gap between patients and doctors just keep widening
OMG :roll:

Why do you keep posting in a forum which is mainly dedicated to people who have at least a slight understandment of mathematics? You even beat Malko at his best times with this nonsense.

In your example, one doctor has to take care of 1000 people while he can only take care of 100.
Increase the population as much as you want, this ratio will be the same.

In other words: Let's say, in a forum of 100 people, one of them posts mainly bullshit, compared to a forum of 1000 people, 10 of them posting mainly bullshit.

You'll probably think, 1st option is better (hey, at least just one :wink:),
but I guarantee, the percentage of bullshit posts will stay stable.

Think about it...
_GS_

Post by _GS_ »

as much as you want, this ratio will be the same.
the gap between patients and doctors just keep widening
as i learnt from maths, ratio and gap are two different things. i said gap, not ratio.
in a single unit, 5x-x = 4x
if you have 5 units, 5.(5x-x) = 20x

if you are a big country, your job is more difficult. because in those each 1.000 you need more "other" things to "produce". and your problem is not only "producing", but also distributing it.. this is why countries like usa, china, brazil, india, russia etc. can never be "perfect" and they have too much regional differences

but i didnt explain these further in my first post, i cut it short and gave you the chance to jump and play mr. smart, that's my fault... btw your disrespectful style reminds me of many other members from your country. interesting...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Good day for Canada, Alice Munro won the literature Nobel prize!
(Shame or not, I`ve never read anything from her, now it`s high time.) :(
Just for fun: some really weird people. :lol:

http://blogdramedy.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... servation/
Executor

Post by Executor »

bugylibicska wrote:Just for fun: some really weird people. :lol:

http://blogdramedy.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... servation/
7. “They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax.”
:rollfloor: :rollfloor: :rollfloor:

This gets my vote for "The best of all". However, the others just seem to be made by people who don't seem to know how much 2 + 2 is. Most of them almost look made up. Like this one:
19. “My fiance and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”
Oh! Come on! That is really over the top!
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Well, of course I`ve no proof that all these really happened, but I`ve little doubt...There`re daft people everywhere, but armed with the sense of entitlement (not prevalent in Eastern Europe) they can produce wonders here... :)
_GS_

Post by _GS_ »

countries by average wage (US $ unless stated otherwise).. imo this is a more accurate statistic than GDP, as it reflects "regular" people's condition
one of the best maps to show dramatic difference within EU.. when you cross east from Vienna... nothing is same anymore
Nixda

Post by Nixda »

_GS_ wrote:imo this is a more accurate statistic than GDP, as it reflects "regular" people's condition
Problem i see here is for example the difference in the tax systems and the costs for living. I therefore think it would be more suitable to compare the purchasing power of those wages.
AnelZ

Post by AnelZ »

I'm looking at this map and I see that B&H has 567$ average net wage (although the grey economy is huge here) but the municipality in which I live has an average net wage of 711$ which is about 25% more then the average (it is the second municipality in the country according to net average wage). It really sadness me to see such inequality, especially in my country...
Doživjeti možda neću da prođeš u finale
i da velikog Reala pobjediš na penale...
JPV

Post by JPV »

PPP (average EU = 100)

EU (28 countries) 100
Euro area (17 countries) 108
Luxembourg 272
Austria 131
Ireland 130
Netherlands 129
Sweden 129
Denmark 125
Germany 122
Belgium 119
Finland 115
United Kingdom 110
France 108
Italy 99
Spain 97
Cyprus 91
Malta 86
Slovenia 82
Czech Republic 79
Portugal 75
Slovakia 75
Greece 75
Lithuania 70
Estonia 69
Hungary 66
Poland 66
Latvia 62
Croatia 61
Romania 49
Bulgaria 47

non-eu, but eurostat got data:
Iceland 113 
Norway 196 
Switzerland 160 
Montenegro 43 
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, the 35 
Serbia 35 
Turkey 56 
Albania 30 
Bosnia and Herzegovina 28 
United States 149 
Japan 105 
_GS_

Post by _GS_ »

Nixda wrote:
_GS_ wrote:imo this is a more accurate statistic than GDP, as it reflects "regular" people's condition
Problem i see here is for example the difference in the tax systems and the costs for living. I therefore think it would be more suitable to compare the purchasing power of those wages.
yeah i know it's more important what you can do with your money, instead of how much you earn. i admit i'm not an economics graduate, but the problem with the PPP is... it has too many elements. for example as i know water is very expensive in Malta, but another "basic" thing could be very cheap :roll: what exactly do we take into consideration and what not.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

seso

Post by seso »

I don't think it is that easy for most people to name the capital of Canada. The same with the Netherlands.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

seso wrote:I don't think it is that easy for most people to name the capital of Canada. The same with the Netherlands.
Yeah, but this is Harvard, one of the ``best`` and most prestigious universities and only 2 countries in North America. :shock: