2018 Russia qualifying competitions

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

@ nogomet Oh that's a relief! I used the tool on the FIFA site for the predictions for next month and it really looked bleak.

Thank you. :smile1:
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Lorric wrote:@ nogomet Oh that's a relief! I used the tool on the FIFA site for the predictions for next month and it really looked bleak.

Thank you. :smile1:
You're welcome, but you should thank Ed and Edgar from football-rankings who are really doing a fantastic job there with the simulations. 8)

The situation looks bleak now for England, Croatia and other teams who performed poorly in the World Cup, but the thing is, when July 2015 ranking comes, all of the WC matches (except the semis and the final) will devalue to the 0.5 timeframe which is why France and Switzerland, who have not collected much points since the WC, will lose some huge points and drop to Pot 2 almost certainly. England have had a great campaign since the WC, Romania and Czech Rep as well, and Croatia will have a great campaign if they beat Italy in June. So it's gonna be close, but unless something crazy happens, Romania and England are in, Czech Rep will need not to lose in Iceland, and Croatia and Italy are left to duke it out in Zagreb on 12 June for that last Pot 1 spot.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Thanks for the explanation. He he he. Cue the conspiracy theories when the dramatic shift happens right before the World Cup. They'll be talking about England being protected by FIFA, provided England take care of their side of things. I wonder if England's victory in Switzerland will prove crucial?
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Given that UEFA keeps separating Russian and Ukrainian clubs to avoid them play against each other, is it possible that Ukraine will not participate in the WC 2018 qualification? What if they qualify, would they even want to play in Russia? I read Ukrainian president saying recently that a world cup in Russia is a disgrace and called for the boycott.
stakhanovite

Post by stakhanovite »

Mongolia 0 - 1 East Timor (1-5)
Nepal 0 - 0 India (0-2)
Bhutan 2 - 1 Sri Lanka (3-1)

Not only did Bhutan go through, they did it with a second win. Granted they only got the winner in stoppage time when Sri Lanka were likely pushing forward, but what a great result.

Pakistan vs Yemen is postponed after bombings in Lahore with the 2nd leg to be played at a neutral venue, Cambodia are coasting the 2nd leg against Macau, and Brunei are set to lose at home and go out to Taiwan despite a 1st leg win.
fillow

Post by fillow »

nogomet wrote:Given that UEFA keeps separating Russian and Ukrainian clubs to avoid them play against each other, is it possible that Ukraine will not participate in the WC 2018 qualification? What if they qualify, would they even want to play in Russia? I read Ukrainian president saying recently that a world cup in Russia is a disgrace and called for the boycott.
Russian-Ukrainian antagonism is constantly being blown bigger for no reason.
I'm pretty sure if Ukraine qualifies, they will have no problem assembling players who will gladly play at WC regardless of whatever Ukrainian president thinks.
Last edited by fillow on Tue Mar 17, 2015 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Personally, I'd go all out to qualify, and then go and knock the hosts out in the tournament. (Because we all know, sods law, group stage or last 16 draw!) But that's just me...
matt

Post by matt »

nogomet wrote:Given that UEFA keeps separating Russian and Ukrainian clubs to avoid them play against each other, is it possible that Ukraine will not participate in the WC 2018 qualification? What if they qualify, would they even want to play in Russia? I read Ukrainian president saying recently that a world cup in Russia is a disgrace and called for the boycott.

It would be a pity,but i don't see the problem if Ukraine boycott the tournament,it's only one country less,almost nobody would care.And it's far from sure that they will qualify.

The world cup to boycott should be Qatar 2022.
matt

Post by matt »

Michael S Collins wrote:Personally, I'd go all out to qualify, and then go and knock the hosts out in the tournament. (Because we all know, sods law, group stage or last 16 draw!) But that's just me...
If no Italian team arrives in the final of El,i want Zenit-Dnipro or Zenit-Dinamo Kyiv.
I wonder what Uefa would make:match at closed doors(it would be a disgrace for sport and uefa),or risk clashes...however the locals(final to be played in Warsaw) would support the ukrainian team i think.
Carson

Post by Carson »

India, Timor Leste, Cambodia, Chinese Taipei, Bhutan all advanced this week to Round 2 of Asian Qualfying.

Yemen vs Pakistan 2nd leg was moved to the 23rd of March. Yemen take a 3-1 lead to Pakistan.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Upset!

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ro ... index.html

0 Barbados - US Virgin Islands 1

I thought this would be like 6-0 to Barbados or something.

Barbados had a red card and missed two penalties.
matt

Post by matt »

Today the last match of Asian qualifying-round 1

Pakistan(1)-Yemen(3)
matt

Post by matt »

Lorric wrote:Upset!

US Virgin Islands captain Dusty Good before the match"People might not know a lot of our names,but we've got some young boys that are very technical.I think we are going to pull off a shock in this first leg and they'll know some of our names then".

He was right :)
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

matt wrote:
Lorric wrote:Upset!

US Virgin Islands captain Dusty Good before the match"People might not know a lot of our names,but we've got some young boys that are very technical.I think we are going to pull off a shock in this first leg and they'll know some of our names then".

He was right :)
Well, I still don't know their names. Well, I know one now: Dusty Good :P
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

UEFA confirmed today that we Europeans will have 13 spots + Russia in the 2018 WC.

So that's a huge relief.

The qualifying format will stay the same. 9 group winners qualify directly and 8 best runners-up will play-off for the remaining 4 spots.