Tennis

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Lorric wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 23:50
Uh, normal people watch tennis, you know.
Watch, right. But attend? I understand that ticket prices in Wimbledon are almost prohibitive.
Yes, but why would you know? I'm interested to watch tennis, not understand the interpersonal relationships between random players. Especially non-British ones.

Might as well offer my opinion on the whole thing, I wouldn't boo if I was there about refusing the handshake, you should be allowed to choose not to or the handshake doesn't mean anything if they make you do it. But I do think the handshake should happen. These people are holding racquets not rifles. They can't do anything about Putin or this war, they're not in the war, they're not in Russia or Ukraine.
Polak is right, the whole Svitolina drama made the rounds in mainstream non-sporting news. The public at the match must have known, they don't live in caves. It's just that they virtue-signaled too hard, forgetting their own internal logic.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

mspm89 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 01:18
Uh, normal people watch tennis, you know.
Watch, right. But attend? I understand that ticket prices in Wimbledon are almost prohibitive.
They might be if you were trying to get a ticket now, but they're not normally, especially if you're not attending the main courts.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/ticket_prices.html

Pricey on the last days, but keep in mind you're getting hours of top level sport for the money.

EDIT: The match in question was on Court 1 on Day 7, so £125-£140 for those fans.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

By Tom Cary, at Wimbledon
"So the ‘nightmare scenario’ has been avoided. The prospect of the Duchess of Cambridge handing over the Venus Rosewater Dish to a Belarusian, with all the potential for embarrassing PR that might have entailed, is no more. Wimbledon has Ons Jabeur to thank for that."

Russophobia, Belarussophobia. Same here in Canada. We've the Heritage festival in August, 3 days to celebrate the diversity of the country, used to have cca. 130 tents, each representing a country with food, dance, songs etc. Russia banned. The official explanation: they cannot guarantee their safety. It doesn't matter that hundreds of Russians protest the war together with Ukrainians.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Polak wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 13:54 Blasphemy aside I agree with mspm. Svitolina's attitude isn't nice, and the idea of her not shaking hands of players from certain countries is absurd. Unless they openly say they support what Putin is doing in Ukraine, which as far as I know, they are not doing, why would she do that?

It was also absurd that Wimbledon fans booed Azarenka for not shaking her hand. They should have booed Svitolina.
Anyone has the right to shake hands or not to. Its her decision. Her country is at war. Its more than understandable her reaction. Would you shake hands with a german guy during WWII because he might not agree with Hitler. Put on her shoes.

About the crowd they were just stupid. It wouldn't have surprised me in US because they are stuck up on themselves and don't know there is more world beside their borders.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

mspm89 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 21:27 Even in the tennis thread we have the same "Russians/Serbians/Belarussians = Evil" nonsense. Jesus f*cking Christ. :degsmile:

And the one insufferable biatch in the tournament is Svitolina. And no, Iga didn't lose to her on purpose, though some people here would do so in her shoes, I guess. :degsmile:
I don't like Djokovic not because of his nationality but because of his behavior on and off the court, if he was English, French, German or Brazilian I also wouldn't have liked him. Though have to admit he is a phenomenal player, objectively speaking already the best in history. As for Russian and Belarussian players apart from Darya Kasatkina :applause: none of them said that they oppose Russia's invasion only some vague statements that they "want peace". Well, Putin also said many times that he "wants peace", so just saying peace is not enough they should condemn invasion and Putin's/Lukashenko's regimes. And Sabalenka for ex on the opposite not long ago signed the letter supporting Lukashenko. Hopefully she ll never become number one, f*ck her :evil:
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

anty1975 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 16:22 As for Russian and Belarussian players apart from Darya Kasatkina :applause: none of them said that they oppose Russia's invasion only some vague statements that they "want peace". Well, Putin also said many times that he "wants peace", so just saying peace is not enough they should condemn invasion and Putin's/Lukashenko's regimes. And Sabalenka for ex on the opposite not long ago signed the letter supporting Lukashenko. Hopefully she ll never become number one, f*ck her :evil:
Why should they? To paint a bullseye on themselves so they can't enter their own country?

Anyway, this is fanatical thinking. I ain't gonna change it, so it's best if we stop discussing the subject.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

mspm89 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 18:36 Why should they?
They are public figures (esp top players like Sabalenka and Medvedev), their words can influence public opinion and weaken regime.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Medvedev out and Sabalenka out :grin1:
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

As expected men's final will be between Djokovic and Alcaraz. Djokovic is probably the favorite but Carlos is playing amazingly, some of his shots are out of this world, never seen anything like that. Should be a cracker :grin1:
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

anty1975 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 20:09 As expected men's final will be between Djokovic and Alcaraz. Djokovic is probably the favorite but Carlos is playing amazingly, some of his shots are out of this world, never seen anything like that. Should be a cracker :grin1:
Alcatraz for me is a surprise in the final. His style doesn't suit (yet) grass bit he made impressive progression in this tournament. Still I think he is not yet ready to face Djokovic in the grass.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) became the first unseeded player to win the Wimbledon women's singles title by beating Jabeur(Tunisia) 6:4,6:4.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Czechs have really the best tennis school in the world, so many great champions for such a small country, esp in women's tennis and its also striking how all their players even those not so great are technically sound, can hit all the shots unlike 99% players from other countries who have some sort of technical deficiencies. Marketa is a good example, she can do everything on a good level, serve, forehands, backhands, slices, volleys and of course her amazing dropshots.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

British interest ends in victory for Skupski! :applause: :applause: :applause: :up: :smile1:

The match ended swiftly, 6-4, 6-4. Was there even a double digit rally in the whole match?
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

bugylibicska wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 16:56 Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) became the first unseeded player to win the Wimbledon women's singles title by beating Jabeur(Tunisia) 6:4,6:4.
That was a surprise for me, as for most others too probably. Not taking anything away from her but Jabeur did seem a bit off her normal form today. At least the husband of Vondrousova was able to watch today as they found someone to mind the cat at home. Not sure if they would be trusted to wash it though! Will be able to afford plenty of cat treats with the winners cheque.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

SimonB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 20:57
bugylibicska wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 16:56 Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) became the first unseeded player to win the Wimbledon women's singles title by beating Jabeur(Tunisia) 6:4,6:4.
That was a surprise for me, as for most others too probably. Not taking anything away from her but Jabeur did seem a bit off her normal form today. At least the husband of Vondrousova was able to watch today as they found someone to mind the cat at home. Not sure if they would be trusted to wash it though! Will be able to afford plenty of cat treats with the winners cheque.
First unseeded player to win - doesn't happen very often. Yes, Jabeur was very nervous(?) and made lots of unforced errors, uncharacteristically.