English Premier League 2016-17

Domestic league and cup football
MalcolmW

English Premier League 2016-17

Post by MalcolmW »

Fixtures are published.
The team parings include the usual Arsenal/Spurs, Liverpool/Everton, ManCity/ManUnited, and more random ones:
Bournemouth/Watford, Burnley/West Brom, Chelsea/Sunderland, Crystal Palace/Swansea, Hull/Stoke, Leicester/Middlesbrough and Southampton/West Ham.

Leicester have a lucky time. Not only have the new rules placed them in Pot 1 for the CL, but they also pay at home in the PL match following all 6 CL group stage matches.
Leeuw

Post by Leeuw »

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Vardy has rejected Arsenal and signed a new contract with Leicester:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36606270
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Has there been any reaction to the Brexit vote from the Premier League or from the clubs?
Leeuw

Post by Leeuw »

I'm interested if foreign footballers get a privilige or not.
Because a lot of them don't have enough international caps for their country. But I'm talking in IF form because until now They didn't ask yet to go out of the European Union.

@Spoonman: I don't know but I know that they asked to vote REMAIN.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

FA chairman Greg Dyke on the BBC: "I don't think that Brexit will have a major impact on football in the next few years. It might be different in the long run but that depends on the conditions under which we leave."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ibrahimovic to Manchester United.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36689575
max tre

Post by max tre »

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Klopp signs a six year contract:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36745294
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

I just noticed Man City just changed their logo to something resembling their old one. Why is that? I can't see it being for marketing reasons. To please their "real" fans?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I bumped the old thread last time without noticing.

It happened in June, but I've only just found out Chesterfield picked up the pariah Ched Evans. Wonder how that will go.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Looks like referees will be coming down hard on players who oppose them pretty much in any way this season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

Including straight reds for mouthing off at the ref.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Thunder_PT wrote:I just noticed Man City just changed their logo to something resembling their old one. Why is that? I can't see it being for marketing reasons. To please their "real" fans?
The eagle badge was never popular. This one allows them to play the tradition card, but my suspicion is more that they wanted one similar to those they created for New York City and Melbourne City.
No to Superleague
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

COMING SOON

During four years in charge of his country Mr Roy got lots of money for himself and gave the rest of the world a tremendous laugh but only now is the nature of his service to England becoming clear. As clubs around Europe rev up for the start of a new season, and football watchers far and wide slowly recover from the epic giggle fit triggered by England’s performance against Iceland, it looks clear Mr Roy’s greatest achievement to his homeland during his time as the Three Lions’ ringleader was to shock and appal FA wonks so badly that they finally agreed to embrace Big Sam Allardyce.

For years the FA shunned Allardyce as if employing him would be an act of embarrassing uncouthness on a par with ordering bubble and squeak at a Uefa gala. The man’s lack of silverware could be tolerated, but his reluctance to brown-nose was a concern. Not any more, though, thanks to the sheer comprehensiveness of Mr Roy’s failure. After 46 years of hurt, it only took Mr Roy four unsuccessful years to wind the English football clock back to Year Zero. England are not trying to impress anyone else anymore, they’re just learning how to look at themselves in the mirror again. If that means being confronted by Sam’s mug on a regular basis, then so be it. It doesn’t matter any more if FA blazers find that hard to countenance. The FA has realised, at last, that the point is that opponents won’t relish it either.

At least that’s what The Fiver is deducing from the fact that the FA board has given its approval to the appointment of Allardyce as England’s new manager, as recommended by a three-man panel of Martin Glenn, Dan Ashworth and David Gill, and following a stringent interview process and an exhaustive search of Sunderland and Hull. However, the appointment has not yet been confirmed because the FA has so far been unable to negotiate an appropriate compensation package with Sunderland, who are presumably worried that losing their manager at this juncture could leave them going into a new campaign looking like a team totally devoid of a coherent plan and mental agility. And as Mr Roy has already forced the FA to concede, no one wants to look like that.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

The defeat in France to Iceland and, more broadly, that England have made embarrassing shows of themselves under recent managers while attempting to look slick in clothes that did not fit, should give Allardyce the freedom to tailor a team devoid of pretence. At their lowest ebb England may be ready for Allardyce’s bottom-line approach.

http://www.footytube.com/news/guardian/ ... p_newsfeed