Portuguese Football Season 2016/17

Domestic league and cup football
Cedrik

Post by Cedrik »

So it looks like Nuno and Porto have agreed on mutual termination of his contract :). Curious to see who will become the next manager.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

The press is saying Porto chose Marco Silva and it's up to him now. Apparently he has another offer from Watford that is better money-wise.
Cedrik

Post by Cedrik »

Interesting, I think Marco Silva would be a good choice. He did a pretty decent job a Sporting in the past.
Cedrik

Post by Cedrik »

Thunder_PT wrote:The press is saying Porto chose Marco Silva and it's up to him now. Apparently he has another offer from Watford that is better money-wise.
And he just signed for Watford. Unbelievable this current world of football. Rejecting a top team in Portugal, that battles every year for trophies and is almost guaranteed of playing CL, for an EPL team that finished 17th. Money, money, money :roll:
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Cedrik wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:The press is saying Porto chose Marco Silva and it's up to him now. Apparently he has another offer from Watford that is better money-wise.
And he just signed for Watford. Unbelievable this current world of football. Rejecting a top team in Portugal, that battles every year for trophies and is almost guaranteed of playing CL, for an EPL team that finished 17th. Money, money, money :roll:
Even then I would have expected him to sign for Palace. At least they have a couple players with more quality than anybody at Watford. (Zaha, Benteke).
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Cedrik wrote:
It's not that easy. First, he's not a Porto fan. I know several other coaches that are supporters of other clubs had success in rival clubs, Jesualdo Ferreira and Fernando Santos were both champions at Porto, for example. But maybe Marco Silva would be harder to convince. I for one would take any offer over one from Benfica, definitely one from the PL.

Second, and probably more importantly, Porto are starting to become a pretty risky career move. I Watford he's on good season away from attracting the likes of Everton or even something bigger. The Porto he could be the next failure. This is a club that fired Lopetegui when he had the same points as future champions Benfica (only to become much worse after the decision), fired Nuno despite saying the reason they're not champions are the refs, that is the only club where Paulo Fonseca didn't have success, that saw Vítor Pereira live 2 horrible years of criticism and jeers while winning the title in both seasons and losing only 1 in 60 games.

Porto is becoming a toxic place for coaches, the same way Benfica and Sporting were not that long ago. I perfectly understand that Marco Silva would demand certain conditions before signing and, with those conditions not met, reject and go to the PL instead.