The bloody race for 6th place between France and Portugal

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bugylibicska

The bloody race for 6th place between France and Portugal

Post by bugylibicska »

OK, it`s tongue in cheek, but why not? Russia took over 5th place already - both France and Portugal will lose 2 more points than Russia next season. Malko deserves a counter attack after that load of bullshit he floods the forum with. :lol:
Malko

Post by Malko »

bugylbisca, race for 6th place???? do you mean 5th?

Presently France is still on 5 , havind more than a point advantage to Russia and 2 to portugal in the 2017 ranking, who will be determinating the places for 2018/190.
In the 2018 ranking, Russia is slightly before France....and Portugal far behind (some 3 points). But that year, Russia will lose his best year, and will so lose 2 more points than France......
Now for this year, many games still to play, and next round, France will have easier opponents than this round: Qabala,Salzburg, Basel, ...and Moscou. Only Lyon has a very tough opponent with Juventus.......

Anyways, Russia makes until now a good season in.......EL, and a bad in CL......but i think it will be Portugal who will be 7th in the next few years.....
Todor

Post by Todor »

Malko wrote:bugylbisca, race for 6th place???? do you mean 5th?

Presently France is still on 5 , havind more than a point advantage to Russia and 2 to portugal in the 2017 ranking, who will be determinating the places for 2018/190.
In the 2018 ranking, Russia is slightly before France....and Portugal far behind (some 3 points). But that year, Russia will lose his best year, and will so lose 2 more points than France......
Now for this year, many games still to play, and next round, France will have easier opponents than this round: Qabala,Salzburg, Basel, ...and Moscou. Only Lyon has a very tough opponent with Juventus.......

Anyways, Russia makes until now a good season in.......EL, and a bad in CL......but i think it will be Portugal who will be 7th in the next few years.....
France only have 0.666 advantage over Russia, which is less than 2 wins, given that Russia's denominator is 5.
Malko

Post by Malko »

Todor you are right, Bert did not make the update yesterday yet. But still is important how many teams will still be there in spring......the decision willbe made there. anyways portugal seems to get this 7th place.
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

We shall see. Portugal might very well end up getting a lot of points in the EL next spring like they always do.
Malko

Post by Malko »

Zarastro..if there are teams remaining in EL........
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

Porto, Benefica and Sporting seem like a safe bet.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Malko wrote:Zarastro..if there are teams remaining in EL........
Sporting...

Portugal are doing a great job getting themselves out of this race. It's insane how Porto, Benfica AND Braga are only on 1 point.

The only positive side is that all 4 teams have put their toughest game behind then and overall this 2nd matchday was the toughest. If Porto can recover, Portugal can very well get 10 points in bonus points, maybe even 15, against Russia's 0. That would be a huge boost. Or we could make a lot of points in the EL with Sporting and or FC Porto, but so can Zenit.

But right now I can't be optimistic. The way things are right now, we'll probably only get 5 bonus points (Benfica) and lose Braga. In this scenario we'd place 2 strong teams in the EL, but that's never a guarantee of points.

Russia are likely to lose both CL teams, but their EL will keep getting points and both are likely to end up group winners. Not sure if Portugal can get close enough during the groups to then overtake them in spring.
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

Well you never know. France has not been very impressive either, if we look at their performance. Nicce and St. Etienne are likely to not survive the GS, Monaco will probably end up in EL, as will Lyon and we all know how French teams perform there and PSG looks like a quarter-finalist at best.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Zarastro wrote:Well you never know. France has not been very impressive either, if we look at their performance. Nicce and St. Etienne are likely to not survive the GS, Monaco will probably end up in EL, as will Lyon and we all know how French teams perform there and PSG looks like a quarter-finalist at best.
PSG might not even make it to the quarters this time. They don't look as strong and the home draw against Arsenal makes the English favourites for the top spot. Of course, they could be lucky and draw Napoli or Leicester, but it's not a comfortable situation.

Monaco is where we disagree, though, I see them as favourites to win the group.
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

Thunder_PT wrote:
Zarastro wrote:
Monaco is where we disagree, though, I see them as favourites to win the group.
Possible, but I can't really see them as favourite's after their match against Leverkusen.
Malko

Post by Malko »

"Nicce and St. Etienne are likely to not survive the GS, Monaco will probably end up in EL, as will Lyon and we all know how French teams perform there and PSG looks like a quarter-finalist at best."

Nice, okay, they won't make it...

But Saint-Etienne has all his cars in his hand and probably will survive the group . They have to beat Qabala twice of course for that. Mainz and Anderlecht now taking points from each other. The late goal reput Saint-Etienne in....Lyon will probably go to EL.....Monaco? Arent they first of their group???? How can you say they only will go to EL ?. Monaco is favorite for winning that group now. Either Mainz or Tottenham will go to EL.
Malko

Post by Malko »

Thunder PT : "they could be lucky and draw Napoli or Leicester" i do not think you are lucky if you draw Napoli.....There may be easier group-winners.....Now consider that french teams often beat arsenal in England. .
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

How I see it. For France: PSG surely advance, but if only on 2nd spot they could be out after the 1st knockout round already. Monaco have more than 50% chance to go on, but could easily end up on 3rd place. Lyon will end up 3rd and EL waits. Nice are almost out and St.Etienne have maybe 50% chance to go on, but would be out soon after.
For Portugal: I think Porto still can make it, I give them more than 50% chance. Benfica about 50% chance to advance, but could end up 4th. Sporting can`t see to progress, but 3rd place is secure. Braga in a difficult position, less than 50% chance to go on.
Hard to predict, France performs close to expectations, maybe only Nice very disappointing. Portugal are way below expectations, only Sporting satisfactory. I give the edge for France.
Malko

Post by Malko »

France will probably lose Nice and coming in spring with at least 4 teams......Paris, Monaco and Lyon being quite sure, Saint-Etienne having all the chances. Paris and Monaco nearly sure to get the bonus-points of CL, Monaco having all chances to be first of his group and go at least until quarterfinals, or further this year.....that depends on the drawing. PSG should advance to quarterfinals or semi-finals at least, unless they finish second and have Real or Barca or Atletico.....