2018 World Cup

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Sao

Post by Sao »

Duketown wrote:Sao..
You sound like those Belgium fans who considered themselves as top 4 favorites in WC2014 and EC2016 as well. Belgium 2014 squad was their best team since it had leaders and thus hierarchy. Still, they didn't impress in groupstage, needed a lot of luck against USA and lost their first real test against Argentina. Then in 2016, expectation were even bigger but results were they same: struggle in groupstage and even beaten by Wales, the best possible draw.

Since then, the new coach might be better but that remains to be seen. With those Belgium players, even Urbanus could have brought this team to Russia. However, I have my doubts by a Spaniard managing complex Belgium mindset through this tournament. Still, it's a better option then any Belgium coach, so I understand the choice.

But is Belgium good enough to beat countries with deep benches like France, Germany or Brasil, in knock-outs, while having some injuries and/or suspensions themselves and while dealing with nation-wide pressure? And that 3 or 4 times in a row? Even ignoring complete history or even last 2 tournaments, Belgium still lacks some qualities and even has some more question-marks.

They lack defenders on the bench. Kinda silly since they have 8 great players on the bench but to much mono-quality. Unless Martinez insists in having so many offensive players, it would even mean Witsel in defense or add defenders like Ciman, Boyata, Jordan Lukaku, Denayer and/or Kabasele to the squad. With 2 of them in your squad, you don't stand a change against the big boys while other outsiders easily can beat such defense as well. Obviously, tite is impressed by midfield and attackers but doesn't understand that Belgium is lacking defender number 5, 6 and 7. Without Nainggolan, only defensive midfielder is Witsel and he already falls short against the big boys.

So I compare them to Portugal; an outsider with some nice players but once knock-out starts and a few suspensions and injuries arise, the big boy simply will be better; just like last times. A quarter final would be great and then hoping for a good draw. If Belgium wins that, maybe a huge upset may happen if the mindset is right. For now, that's only a dream.

However, they have my support and they sure as hell can score against any other team. If everything plays out right, we really might enjoy their attackers! I hope Martens finally get's all the trust he deserves.
Belgium fans who considered themselves as top 4 favourites in WC2014 were few and far between. It wasn't remotely close to Oranje-fever that breaks out when Holland go to the WC. Even the players were surprised by the welcome they received in Belgium after a QF exit. In 2014 hopes were set on reaching the QFs with one of the youngest squads in Brazil (IIRC due to a last-minute injury there was only one squad younger than ours or Belgium would have been the youngest team). The likes of Hazard and KDB were in their early 20s, Fellaini, Witsel and Dembele are only a bit older, ... the personnel was basically the same as now but many had yet to reach their prime (Mertens is a bit of a late bloomer and Wilmots left out Nainggolan). So we had leaders in every line when they were 4 years younger but now we don't? Januzaj, crazy Vanden Borre, a 3rd string goalie that's now nowhere near the team, ... none of them will be in Russia but also none of them were leaders. Kompany's injury proneness always is a worry but when he's on he's still barking orders. Courtois and Vertonghen (+/-Alderweireld), KDB, Hazard (capt. now), Lukaku have grown a lot in the past 4 years and the dressing room is now more settled than it was in Brazil (or any time under Wilmots's soft touch). "even beaten by Wales" implies expectations weren't out of tune. On paper doesn't matter in the end and on grass Wales deserved the win. I disagree the group stage was labored in France though (our stats back this up as well).

A defensive side adept at depriving the best opposition of time, space and opportunity is hard to break down and especially in international football you shouldn't expect big wins. I agree we were hardly impressive in the group in Brazil but it takes two teams if you want to see an actual game of football. Both Algeria and (Capello's) Russia set up for an ultra defensive snoozefest against us and for the final one v. S.Korea only the goalie and Vertonghen played a 3rd game as we were already through. Compared to Germany v. Algeria we faced a more conservative Algeria and had to come from behind after Vertonghen's mistake. It didn't look pretty but we still won our game in 90'. Germany struggled for control untill the end of extra time and if those chances weren't wasted Algeria could have easily had a result against Germany. There are quite a lot of games where Germans (or another powerhouse) are short of ideas and don't score in 90'. It's a pain in the ass for everyone. Besides under Wilmots we often scored from play in transition (as you'd expect when you lack a plan for how to attack). Sure Martinez has plenty to prove but you can't exactly blame him for the group we were drawn into, no manager has control over that, and then sailing through the WCQs. Wilmots got results too but the play wasn't as good. Because it went so smoothly Martinez can keep finetuning and keep working on tactical flexibility (well within the limits of international football).

3 more things:

1. Show me the NTs that donot have any weaknesses in their starting line-up and on the bench. Be my guest. Just like every other NT Belgium have weaknesses. Belgium aren't top four in the world. We barely merit to be in pot 1 (i.e. I agree with our odds). Getting out of the group and being knocked out immediately after would be failure. QFs (or better, please) and instead of Siberia the team can return to a warm welcome. Wales aren't there to stop us, so...
2. Depth is less important compared to club football and NTs can only bring 23 players (sorry poor Spanish midfielders). It's smarter to bring extra attacking talent as NT managers have fiddled a lot less with their defences at past WCs (most of the unused subs are goalies and defenders). Also, do I need to remind you who Holland had in their backline in 2010 and 2014? TBF except for Ron Beton their names were hardly recognizable at the time and there was plenty of discussion about them ahead of those WCs (yet some earned a move away from the Eredivisie after). Ciman, Boyata, Denayer and/or Kabasele = only one of them will be a squaddie in Russia if the others are fully fit and in form.
3. If there's one player that tries too hard and could tense up it's Lukaku (his move to a big club could do him a world of good). Wilmots didn't do him any favours and Lukaku was under added pressure of being benched every minute Wilmots was in charge. Wilmots also didn't feel he needed a striker coach and thought of himself as an amateur psychologist. He said his strikers were just too young and we had to wait until their wastefulness was no longer a problem instead of offering some support. We now have Henry working with them and by the looks of it he's doing a good job. We'll also see plenty of Mertens.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

So if I got all this final tournament seeding business right, it's like this.

1. Russia.
2. Germany.
3. Brazil.
4. Portugal, if they qualify, at least via play-offs.
5. Argentina, if they qualify, at least via play-offs..
6. Belgium.
7. Poland.
8. Switzerland, if they win tonight.
9. Chile, if they win tonight.
10. Peru, if they win tonight.
11. France, if they win tonight.
12. Spain.
13. France, if they don't win tonight.

Just go down the list from top to bottom until you got 8 teams for pot 1.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

greenbay wrote:So if I got all this final tournament seeding business right, it's like this.

1. Russia.
2. Germany.
3. Brazil.
4. Portugal, if they qualify, at least via play-offs.
5. Argentina, if they qualify, at least via play-offs..
6. Belgium.
7. Poland.
8. Switzerland, if they win tonight.
9. Chile, if they win tonight.
10. Peru, if they win tonight.
11. France, if they win tonight.
12. Spain.
13. France, if they don't win tonight.

Just go down the list from top to bottom until you got 8 teams for pot 1.
You got everything right except no. 13 and partially no. 6.

If France don't win tonight (let's say they draw), Chile are ahead of them regardless of their result, Switzerland are ahead if they draw, Colombia are ahead if they win.

Belgium also need to take at least a draw tonight to be safe in pot 1.
Last edited by nogomet on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Mmmh. On second thought. What if all those conditions don't meet? Then it 7 teams only. As France can still fail at all? What's next? England? Confused...
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

nogomet wrote:If France don't win tonight (let's say they draw), Chile are ahead of them regardless of their result, Switzerland are ahead if they draw, Colombia are ahead if they win.
Could even be worse. Say neither France nor Chile nor Columbia qualify. More confusion.

Edit: no. Then Argentina or Peru must be in. Impossible to have Chile, Colombia, Peru and Argentina all fail. Problem solved.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

I wanted to test the hypothesis that the friendlies are distorting the FIFA rankings at the top. Turns out, that's not the case.

These would be the top two pots in case all friendlies in the past 4 years are taken out of the calculation:

Germany 2110
Brazil 1950
Portugal 1841
Argentina 1738
Belgium 1708
Poland 1684
France 1661
---------------------
Chile 1571
Spain 1548
England 1489
Switzerland 1421
Iceland 1420
Colombia 1399
Italy 1378
Mexico 1360
Croatia 1326
----------------------
Peru 1306
Uruguay 1281
Denmark 1250

Turns out Pot 1 would be exact same as it is now, while in Pot 2 Iceland would replace Uruguay, which is even more controversial than what we have now.

What causes the distortion is that some teams play friendlies regularly and some very rarely, if at all. But taking out the friendlies does not solve the problem of FIFA ranking being crap. It's the weightings. There's too big of a difference between cycle 1 (weighted by 1.0) and all other cycles (0.5, 0.3, 0.2) which causes older results depreciate too quickly, especially results at past World Cups and continental competitions.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Can you give the number for Wales, please?
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

greenbay wrote:Can you give the number for Wales, please?
1227. But if they beat Ireland yesterday, it would've been 1404, so they'd be in Pot 2 instead of Pot 1.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

And what about a draw yesterday? Looks to me like pot 3 still. Likely no where near Croatia's 1326. So for Wales, taking friendlies into account, that's a two-pot difference.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

greenbay wrote:And what about a draw yesterday? Looks to me like pot 3 still. Likely no where near Croatia's 1326. So for Wales, taking friendlies into account, that's a two-pot difference.
1286 pts. But a draw yesterday would've eliminated Wales, as worst runners-up.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Ok, I've played around with the FIFA prognosis tool. If I'm correct, then only the current top 12 of FIFA world ranking can make pot 1.

Amongst those, the best possbile number of ranking points not to make it to pot 1 is Peru with 1255 points. Possible if i.e. Switzerland win, Portugal later win the play-offs, Belgium win, Argentina win, Chile win and Peru win.

On the other hand, the worst possible number of ranking points still to make it to pot 1 is Peru with 1160 points. Possible if Switzerland and Portugal draw, Portugal then lose the play-offs, France lose, Colombia and Peru draw, Argentina lose and Paraguay lose, and finally Chile lose and then lose the play-offs.

Surely pot 1:
Brazil Win 1619
Germany 1606
Brazil Draw 1532
Brazil Loss 1488
Portugal Win 1446
Argentina Win 1445
Portugal Draw 1378
Argentina Draw 1362
Portugal Loss 1344
Belgium Win 1333
Argentina Loss 1321
Switzerland Win 1317
Belgium Draw 1261
Chile Win 1256

Possibly pot 1:
Peru Win 1255
Poland 1250
France Win 1226
Belgium Loss 1225
Chile Draw 1201
Switzerland Draw 1196
Spain 1184
Colombia Win 1180
Chile Loss 1173
France Draw 1171
Peru Draw 1160

Surely not pot 1:
France Loss 1143
Switzerland Loss 1135
Peru Loss 1112
Colombia Draw 1095
Colombia Loss 1052

All numbers assuming that teams qualify, even with a loss tonight, which is possible for all.

Edit: Which mea
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

[quote="greenbay"]Ok, I've played around with the FIFA prognosis tool. If I'm correct, then only the current top 12 of FIFA world ranking can make pot 1.

Amongst those, the best possbile number of ranking points not to make it to pot 1 is Peru with 1255 points. Possible if i.e. Switzerland win, Portugal later win the play-offs, Belgium win, Argentina win, Chile win and Peru win.

On the other hand, the worst possible number of ranking points still to make it to pot 1 is Peru with 1160 points. Possible if Switzerland and Portugal draw, Portugal then lose the play-offs, France lose, Colombia and Peru draw, Argentina lose and Paraguay lose, and finally Chile lose and then lose the play-offs.

Surely pot 1:
Brazil Win 1619
Germany 1606
Brazil Draw 1532
Brazil Loss 1488
Portugal Win 1446
Argentina Win 1445
Portugal Draw 1378
Argentina Draw 1362
Portugal Loss 1344
Belgium Win 1333
Argentina Loss 1321
Switzerland Win 1317
Belgium Draw 1261
Chile Win 1256

Possibly pot 1:
Peru Win 1255
Poland 1250
France Win 1226
Belgium Loss 1225
Chile Draw 1201
Switzerland Draw 1196
Spain 1184
Colombia Win 1180
Chile Loss 1173
France Draw 1171
Peru Draw 1160

Surely not pot 1:
France Loss 1143
Switzerland Loss 1135
Peru Loss 1112
Colombia Draw 1095
Colombia Loss 1052

All numbers assuming that teams qualify, even with a loss tonight, which is possible for all.

Edit: ...found a scenario in which Peru can be in pot 1 despite only a draw tonight.
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

Sao wrote:
Duketown wrote:Sao..
You sound like those Belgium fans who considered themselves as top 4 favorites in WC2014 and EC2016 as well. Belgium 2014 squad was their best team since it had leaders and thus hierarchy. Still, they didn't impress in groupstage, needed a lot of luck against USA and lost their first real test against Argentina. Then in 2016, expectation were even bigger but results were they same: struggle in groupstage and even beaten by Wales, the best possible draw.

Since then, the new coach might be better but that remains to be seen. With those Belgium players, even Urbanus could have brought this team to Russia. However, I have my doubts by a Spaniard managing complex Belgium mindset through this tournament. Still, it's a better option then any Belgium coach, so I understand the choice.

But is Belgium good enough to beat countries with deep benches like France, Germany or Brasil, in knock-outs, while having some injuries and/or suspensions themselves and while dealing with nation-wide pressure? And that 3 or 4 times in a row? Even ignoring complete history or even last 2 tournaments, Belgium still lacks some qualities and even has some more question-marks.

They lack defenders on the bench. Kinda silly since they have 8 great players on the bench but to much mono-quality. Unless Martinez insists in having so many offensive players, it would even mean Witsel in defense or add defenders like Ciman, Boyata, Jordan Lukaku, Denayer and/or Kabasele to the squad. With 2 of them in your squad, you don't stand a change against the big boys while other outsiders easily can beat such defense as well. Obviously, tite is impressed by midfield and attackers but doesn't understand that Belgium is lacking defender number 5, 6 and 7. Without Nainggolan, only defensive midfielder is Witsel and he already falls short against the big boys.

So I compare them to Portugal; an outsider with some nice players but once knock-out starts and a few suspensions and injuries arise, the big boy simply will be better; just like last times. A quarter final would be great and then hoping for a good draw. If Belgium wins that, maybe a huge upset may happen if the mindset is right. For now, that's only a dream.

However, they have my support and they sure as hell can score against any other team. If everything plays out right, we really might enjoy their attackers! I hope Martens finally get's all the trust he deserves.
Belgium fans who considered themselves as top 4 favourites in WC2014 were few and far between. It wasn't remotely close to Oranje-fever that breaks out when Holland go to the WC. Even the players were surprised by the welcome they received in Belgium after a QF exit. In 2014 hopes were set on reaching the QFs with one of the youngest squads in Brazil (IIRC due to a last-minute injury there was only one squad younger than ours or Belgium would have been the youngest team). The likes of Hazard and KDB were in their early 20s, Fellaini, Witsel and Dembele are only a bit older, ... the personnel was basically the same as now but many had yet to reach their prime (Mertens is a bit of a late bloomer and Wilmots left out Nainggolan). So we had leaders in every line when they were 4 years younger but now we don't? Januzaj, crazy Vanden Borre, a 3rd string goalie that's now nowhere near the team, ... none of them will be in Russia but also none of them were leaders. Kompany's injury proneness always is a worry but when he's on he's still barking orders. Courtois and Vertonghen (+/-Alderweireld), KDB, Hazard (capt. now), Lukaku have grown a lot in the past 4 years and the dressing room is now more settled than it was in Brazil (or any time under Wilmots's soft touch). "even beaten by Wales" implies expectations weren't out of tune. On paper doesn't matter in the end and on grass Wales deserved the win. I disagree the group stage was labored in France though (our stats back this up as well).
Oranje-fever refers to the quality of our fans; not to our expectations. Those grow along with results. But why not? WC quarterfinals, semi-finals and finals are the norm; not the exception. This is already since the 70s, with the exception of the 80s but then we had the EC-title. Oranje only failed in 1990 and 2002. And Belgium? Without the exception in Mexico, ZERO history, while last 2 tournaments only confirmed history.
And we don't loose to underdogs or other outsiders; we lose to favorites, mostly while being better but lacking squad depth. This is a what sets favorites apart from outsiders and we learned that the hard way, via countless penalties, offside goals and terrible refs.
Even beaten by Wales refers to an outsider loosing to a surprise. Playing the big-boys is the platform where outsiders become challengers.
Mertens is a bit of a late bloomer? Not recognizing his winning attitude is large part of Belgium's early tournaments exits. He is a winner pur sang, already since he played at AGOVV. Somehow, people don't recognize this; even at PSV he didn't receive his deserved credits and even at Napoli it took forever. Same goes for Belgium NT. Besides being a winner, don't underestimate how smart he is and the spirit he brings to a team. Already in 2014 he was Belgiums best attacker.
Biggest win for Belgium is that their squad has 4-5 players which weren't raised with Belgium mindset but choose to play in The Netherlands at early age.
And EC2016 stats say, that Italy beat Belgium. Again losing from the big boys; also Sweden was a problem. Belgium still has to overcome many obstacles; beating the big boys only once would be huge. Beating them 2-3 times in a row is a dream for now.
Sao wrote: A defensive side adept at depriving the best opposition of time, space and opportunity is hard to break down and especially in international football you shouldn't expect big wins. I agree we were hardly impressive in the group in Brazil but it takes two teams if you want to see an actual game of football. Both Algeria and (Capello's) Russia set up for an ultra defensive snoozefest against us and for the final one v. S.Korea only the goalie and Vertonghen played a 3rd game as we were already through. Compared to Germany v. Algeria we faced a more conservative Algeria and had to come from behind after Vertonghen's mistake. It didn't look pretty but we still won our game in 90'. Germany struggled for control untill the end of extra time and if those chances weren't wasted Algeria could have easily had a result against Germany. There are quite a lot of games where Germans (or another powerhouse) are short of ideas and don't score in 90'. It's a pain in the ass for everyone. Besides under Wilmots we often scored from play in transition (as you'd expect when you lack a plan for how to attack). Sure Martinez has plenty to prove but you can't exactly blame him for the group we were drawn into, no manager has control over that, and then sailing through the WCQs. Wilmots got results too but the play wasn't as good. Because it went so smoothly Martinez can keep finetuning and keep working on tactical flexibility (well within the limits of international football).
WC2014 squad indeed lacked many qualities: bad coach with terrible choices and preferences, strikers where too young, mediocre defense, no backup midfielders and defenders, choking mentality, and poor quality in-field leaders. Simply too much to be a favorite or even to stand out among the many outsiders. Thus results speak for themselves.
If you still think Germany late goals are luck then you don't understand pure quality. Winners rise once it matters most and I've never seen Belgium doing that. In fact, it's the opposite and not just in football.
Managing a tournament is about managing mentality and spirit while dealing with nation wide pressure and Martinez isn't experienced in this. Even lacking the most important tool: language. So this remains to be seen but since this is the hardest aspect in coaching a tournament, I don't see concrete reasons for him succeeding in managing the complex Belgium mindset. Martinez can keep finetuning whatever he wants but now we enter the tournament itself and that's a whole other ballgame. Ask Portugal..
Sao wrote: 3 more things:

1. Show me the NTs that donot have any weaknesses in their starting line-up and on the bench. Be my guest. Just like every other NT Belgium have weaknesses. Belgium aren't top four in the world. We barely merit to be in pot 1 (i.e. I agree with our odds). Getting out of the group and being knocked out immediately after would be failure. QFs (or better, please) and instead of Siberia the team can return to a warm welcome. Wales aren't there to stop us, so...
2. Depth is less important compared to club football and NTs can only bring 23 players (sorry poor Spanish midfielders). It's smarter to bring extra attacking talent as NT managers have fiddled a lot less with their defences at past WCs (most of the unused subs are goalies and defenders). Also, do I need to remind you who Holland had in their backline in 2010 and 2014? TBF except for Ron Beton their names were hardly recognizable at the time and there was plenty of discussion about them ahead of those WCs (yet some earned a move away from the Eredivisie after). Ciman, Boyata, Denayer and/or Kabasele = only one of them will be a squaddie in Russia if the others are fully fit and in form.
3. If there's one player that tries too hard and could tense up it's Lukaku (his move to a big club could do him a world of good). Wilmots didn't do him any favours and Lukaku was under added pressure of being benched every minute Wilmots was in charge. Wilmots also didn't feel he needed a striker coach and thought of himself as an amateur psychologist. He said his strikers were just too young and we had to wait until their wastefulness was no longer a problem instead of offering some support. We now have Henry working with them and by the looks of it he's doing a good job. We'll also see plenty of Mertens.
1. I showed you the reasons why Belgium isn't a favorite and even among the outsiders they don't hold the best cards.
2. lol, so wrong! It's about missing defenders and defensive thinking midfielders. Having abundant mono-quality within the squad doesn't mean having 2 equals teams. About those poor quality backup defenders.. If only one is in the tournament squad, you will miss defenders in knock-out phase once injuries and suspension kick in. This will be a problem. Even if Belgium leaves 1 or 2 bigger name attacker at home in favor of 2 no name defender/defensive midfielder, the problem isn't solved. And don't forget, BPL players are mostly under-performing in tournaments.
If you refer to Dutch defense in 2010; we adapted with N. de Jong covering central defense and Kuyt covering right wing. I recommend watching the semi-final goal against Uruguay by left defender Van Bronkhorst, pure quality. btw, that team had a few CL winners aboard: Van Bronckhorst, Sneijder, Robben won on 3 different occasions with 3 different team, while not only being part of those successes but being among the driving forces behind it. Not to mention the countless CL matches Van Bommel, Van Persie, Kuyt, and Vd Vaart added. That's what I call leadership. Combine that with a great coach and some Eredivisie talents and you have a silver medal.
3. Yes, Wilmots personally wasted Belgium best change ever; he wasn't up to the tasks how to grow tournament spirit. Now strikers are still abundant; no problems overthere, like it wasn't in 2014-2016. The winner have to stand up and show himself when it matters most; not once but multiple times, specifically to overcome setbacks. From this regard, Belgium strikers are still lightweights but if I see someone doing this, it's Mertens. And maybe Vertonghen but he might as well become the one breaking when it matters.
Last edited by Duketown on Wed Oct 11, 2017 18:23, edited 17 times in total.
Interested in football economics, trends, TPO, FFP, annual reports, stadium development & transfers. Accurate sources are Football leaks, UEFA club reports 2016, UEFA benchmark reports, KPMG, Deloitte, Asser Institute, CIES, FifPro.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Compared to Germany v. Algeria we faced a more conservative Algeria and had to come from behind after Vertonghen's mistake. It didn't look pretty but we still won our game in 90'. Germany struggled for control untill the end of extra time and if those chances weren't wasted Algeria could have easily had a result against Germany. There are quite a lot of games where Germans (or another powerhouse) are short of ideas and don't score in 90'. It's a pain in the ass for everyone.
Simple story.
Germany were rubbish in 2014, needing extra time vs Algeria.
Spain were rubbish in 2010, losing their opener to Switzerland.
Italy were rubbish in 2006, needing a dodgy penalty in added time to beat Australia.
While Belgium on the other hand always had just tough luck no to win the trophy.
If football Gods were just, then Belgium would be three-time defending champions :!:
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

greenbay wrote:
Compared to Germany v. Algeria we faced a more conservative Algeria and had to come from behind after Vertonghen's mistake. It didn't look pretty but we still won our game in 90'. Germany struggled for control untill the end of extra time and if those chances weren't wasted Algeria could have easily had a result against Germany. There are quite a lot of games where Germans (or another powerhouse) are short of ideas and don't score in 90'. It's a pain in the ass for everyone.
Simple story.
Germany were rubbish in 2014, needing extra time vs Algeria.
Spain were rubbish in 2010, losing their opener to Switzerland.
Italy were rubbish in 2006, needing a dodgy penalty to beat Australia.
While Belgium on the other hand always had just tough luck no to win the trophy.
So true.. Setbacks creates winners. On the other side you can make a list with all those great groupstage victories and then meeting a struggling team to turn all those expectations upside down. For me, EC2000 is best example. The Netherlands giving a football exhibition against Yugoslavia and Italy, while the latter wins after penalties.

Most people don't understand that the impact of mindset, spirit and strong will, will always beat talent, specifically in tournaments when pressure rises. Thinking it is though luck, lol..
Last edited by Duketown on Wed Oct 11, 2017 00:26, edited 4 times in total.
Interested in football economics, trends, TPO, FFP, annual reports, stadium development & transfers. Accurate sources are Football leaks, UEFA club reports 2016, UEFA benchmark reports, KPMG, Deloitte, Asser Institute, CIES, FifPro.