Unbeaten teams in European Championships.

Domestic league and cup football
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

SteffenM wrote:
dnina10 wrote: I think it's fair to say, Celtic certainly are not as good as all may perceive them to be.
I guess it depends on what one perceive? ;)
I perceive them to be the best team in the 23th best UEFA league ;)

And maybe 80-100 on UEFA ranking as a 'natural' fit.

However, are you Scottish or how come you follow the league?

Do you know what happend to Sviatchenko i Celtic?
I heard he started awesome and he took everyone by surprise. Him and Dembele being to good for the Scottish League,
but now Sviatchenko warms the bench? :? :roll:
His form has dropped off sharply according to a Celtic forum I took a quick look at.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

dnina10 wrote:
Lorric wrote:Celtic have gone the entire league season undefeated, and can go the entire domestic season undefeated if they win the cup final (or I suppose if they lose on penalties.) This has not been done in the league in Scotland since 1898/99, when the season was 18 games. In addition, they broke the goals scored record with 106, which is also the number of points they racked up with 34 wins and 4 draws, which is also a new record. They also scored in every single match. Their goal difference is +81.

Not a team you want to draw in CLQ I think.
All hail Celtic. They won the Scottish premiership unbeaten. To those who follow this league (like myself), please do not be offended by this statement. If you put eleven ants on the field in replace of Celtic, they could do the exact same thing. Unfortunately, Scottish football at in dark times. Not to diminish Celtic's accomplishment, the other eleven teams just are not good enough. The league is in disarray, and it needs to be fixed quickly.
On another note, it's interesting that everyone I commending Brendan Rodgers and his men, yet little do some realize, they lost the first competitive match this season... To Lincoln Red Imps! That is embarrassing. Not even to mention the seven goal drumming from Barca. They didn't even win a single game in the Champions League group stage. I think it's fair to say, Celtic certainly are not as good as all may perceive them to be.
I think either your thing about the ants came out wrong or doesn't translate well into English.

Still, I get the gist of it that you are unimpressed. But all I said is you wouldn't want to draw them in CLQ. Champions path teams usually get slapped around in the GS, Celtic did pretty well for such a team in a really tough group. Celtic have already qualified from the champions path 3/5 attempts before. I think this will be the strongest team Celtic have sent to the champions path. But unless they get lucky and end up in Pot C, they'll probably still be underdog against anyone they can draw in the GS if they get there.

I do not understand why the Red Imps thing persists. I predicted no one would care about it if Celtic got to the GS, but here we are at almost season end and it keeps coming up, you're far from the only one to bring it up. I was clearly wrong in that prediction, but I don't get it. Note I don't count a joke about Red Imps in that but do count seriously bringing it up which you and others have done. Celtic were a mess when Rodgers took over for that first game. They're not anymore, they're transformed. A massive upgrade from Deila's Celtic.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

bbb wrote:
stakhanovite wrote:The same Rijeka that not so long ago got humped by Aberdeen? :lol: :lol:
Yep. :lol:

It's pretty much different team now and much stronger one. IIRC, Rijeka should've won by 5-6 goals in return leg and overcome 0-3 deficit, they almost did it. That 0-3 match was their only choke and fail since their renaissance started.

Winning Croatian league these days is, as user @nogomet can confirm, a fuc*ing MONUMENTAL :lol: challenge, and they almost did it undefeated.

I am pretty convinced in Rijeka's ability to defeat Celtic. Of course, if top players stay at Rujevica along with coach.
Rijeka winning the title is monumental because of the corrupted system where half the league are Dinamo's vasals and give them free points when they need them. Not because this is such a strong league. Actually, the clubs below the top 4 are very low in quality in my opinion.

Both Rijeka and Croatian national team have some very bad experiences with Scottish teams, and for some reason they keep getting underestimated here and in Croatian press. In fact, Scotland is the only team, along with France, Brazil and Portugal, that Croatia still have never beaten. And they played quite a lot of matches. Celtic are giants, and I would never consider any Croatian club a favourite against them. That doesn't mean that Rijeka would have no chance.

So, no Scottish teams in Croatia this season, please.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I forgot to watch, but Celtic did the treble, with an injury time winner to beat Aberdeen 2-1.
el-pietro

Post by el-pietro »

Malko wrote:As far as I see, they are still 5:
1. Celtic Glasgow (scotland) 28 v 3 d
2. Rijeka (Croatia) 21 v 5 d
3. Shakktar Donetsk (Ukraine) 20v 3d
4. F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg) 15v 5d
5. Kukesi (albania) 14v 13d

we could add Cork City in Irland, but they just have begun the championship, and count 7v 0d
We're up to 16 this season now. Just in the league. We play the second placed team this Friday away so we could lose that one.
edit: 15 wins 1 draw.
Maribor

Post by Maribor »

How bad are the other teams in Scotland or are Celtic a good team? I remember seeing Aberdeen in August and thought they were very poor as were we, it just happened that their player (sorry, i forgot his name) made a stupid mistake in the 2nd leg to allow us to win on aggregate 2-1.

Celtic then lost heavily to Barcelona, Barcelona who proved this season weren't as good as previous recent seasons.

Okay remaining unbeaten is not easy and they should be applauded for that but how big of achievement is it if the rest of your league is poor?.
Only Slovenian Team to Reach Champions League and Europa League Group Stage.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

I remember that 2007-08 season with Celtic on last 16 of UCL, Rangers finalists of UEFA Cup, and even Aberdeen in the last 32 against Bayern (not embarrassing themselves too much). Last good season for Scottish football, even though Celtic have had a couple of showings since then.
Maribor

Post by Maribor »

mspm89 wrote:I remember that 2007-08 season with Celtic on last 16 of UCL, Rangers finalists of UEFA Cup, and even Aberdeen in the last 32 against Bayern (not embarrassing themselves too much). Last good season for Scottish football, even though Celtic have had a couple of showings since then.
What the season Aberdeen only beat Cophenhagen in their group?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Maribor wrote:How bad are the other teams in Scotland or are Celtic a good team? I remember seeing Aberdeen in August and thought they were very poor as were we, it just happened that their player (sorry, i forgot his name) made a stupid mistake in the 2nd leg to allow us to win on aggregate 2-1.

Celtic then lost heavily to Barcelona, Barcelona who proved this season weren't as good as previous recent seasons.

Okay remaining unbeaten is not easy and they should be applauded for that but how big of achievement is it if the rest of your league is poor?.
Aberdeen were stronger than when they faced you and Celtic beat them 6/6 times this season. The standard of the rest of the SPL is poor, if you take out Celtic and measure their coefficients, they're around Republic of Ireland's level. Aberdeen unfortunately are now being picked apart by other clubs so may well be weaker than when they faced you in Europe next season.

Celtic's level of domestic dominance is unusual though. I think they'll be difficult for any unseeded champions path team to stop, they'll probably strengthen in the window too. But they'll struggle in a CL group unless they're lucky enough to get into the third pot. Celtic Park is always an X factor in Europe. I probably will want the English teams to avoid them if they're a Pot D team, though that's partly as they'll fire up against English opposition. I also wonder if they know how important this season is, since they lose the CL last 16 points from 5 years ago. They were in the same situation 5 years ago and replaced a last 16 season with another last 16 season.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Maribor wrote:
mspm89 wrote:I remember that 2007-08 season with Celtic on last 16 of UCL, Rangers finalists of UEFA Cup, and even Aberdeen in the last 32 against Bayern (not embarrassing themselves too much). Last good season for Scottish football, even though Celtic have had a couple of showings since then.
What the season Aberdeen only beat Cophenhagen in their group?
Yes. Though they only won 1 point fewer than Zenit, eventual champions. :mrgreen:
Maribor

Post by Maribor »

I don't think you'd really want to meet anyone, maybe besides Salzburg as it currently stands. I don't think we'll get that far anyway we're not that good right now honestly I think any of the five teams who we could currently face would beat us over two legs.
el-pietro

Post by el-pietro »

el-pietro wrote:
Malko wrote:As far as I see, they are still 5:
1. Celtic Glasgow (scotland) 28 v 3 d
2. Rijeka (Croatia) 21 v 5 d
3. Shakktar Donetsk (Ukraine) 20v 3d
4. F91 Dudelange (Luxembourg) 15v 5d
5. Kukesi (albania) 14v 13d

we could add Cork City in Irland, but they just have begun the championship, and count 7v 0d
We're up to 16 this season now. Just in the league. We play the second placed team this Friday away so we could lose that one.
edit: 15 wins 1 draw.
19 wins 1 draw now. We will lose our best player and top scorer after one more league game unfortunately as well as a very good left back so it is unlilkely we can go the whole season unbeaten.