Third European Cup plans (2021- )

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

krdel wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 15:14 Stupid, as everything else by UEFA.
UEFA treats Europe and the Conference League as unwanted children. All matches will be scheduled at the same time on Thursday night. :mol:
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Creating a "weaker" competition from scratch is very hard. The current EL isn't very important, so ECL would be the "even more meaningless competition".
So they are putting this together to make the package even more interesting. Then they hope that both can grow, EL more then ECL, and they can sell in separate packs with profit.

There's no doubt that they should be played on thursday nights. ECL would lose more if played during CL or in an earlier window. TV will pick their clubs matches, so it makes more sense the 2 competitions being together so clubs from same country don't end at same time.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 16:52 Creating a "weaker" competition from scratch is very hard. The current EL isn't very important, so ECL would be the "even more meaningless competition".
They screwed it up. The ECL should have been the EL and the new competition in the middle.

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Elite League
UEFA Europa League

The name Conference is really bad. It screams bottom tier. UEFA Challenge League was one a few on here said, UEFA Expansion League, UEFA Elevation League, UEFA Evolution League... come on, it's not difficult to come up with a better name... I'm actually really liking Elevation League, as the idea was to give more teams European football, to elevate them.
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

Lorric wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 18:42
rpo.castro wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 16:52 Creating a "weaker" competition from scratch is very hard. The current EL isn't very important, so ECL would be the "even more meaningless competition".
They screwed it up. The ECL should have been the EL and the new competition in the middle.

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Elite League
UEFA Europa League

The name Conference is really bad. It screams bottom tier. UEFA Challenge League was one a few on here said, UEFA Expansion League, UEFA Elevation League, UEFA Evolution League... come on, it's not difficult to come up with a better name... I'm actually really liking Elevation League, as the idea was to give more teams European football, to elevate them.
Wasn't the "Conference" name from back when they wanted the competition to be separated into regional groups? I remember it from those videos with the Rapid Wien official a few years back.

But yeah, I think for 3 competitons, and to also elevate the EL without harming the CL too much, a club distribution of 3-2-2 for the Top 4 Leagues would make way more sense than what we have now. Sadly, what will happen from 2027 or so onwards is probably 5-2-1.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

OlliWender wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 18:53

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Elite League
UEFA Europa League

Wasn't the "Conference" name from back when they wanted the competition to be separated into regional groups? I remember it from those videos with the Rapid Wien official a few years back.

But yeah, I think for 3 competitons, and to also elevate the EL without harming the CL too much, a club distribution of 3-2-2 for the Top 4 Leagues would make way more sense than what we have now. Sadly, what will happen from 2027 or so onwards is probably 5-2-1.
I've never seen anything official about that concept, I don't know where the idea originated.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

All they should have done is give a little hope for ECL winner to qualify for CL - even just as a replacement for EL winner if it is already qualified, or give them a ticket to CL Q3 League Path.
Very little harm could be done by doing this, I'm very surprised they didn't go that route.
From what I saw (with Milan for example that played their top team against Man. United), teams don't usually try to do the exact math - a small probability of the prize is close in their eyes to the actual prize.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Lorric wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 19:58

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Elite League
UEFA Europa League

I've never seen anything official about that concept, I don't know where the idea originated.
There is is thread for that on this forum, legit looking documents were posted:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewto ... =12&t=5519
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

amirbachar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 21:28
Lorric wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 19:58
There is is thread for that on this forum, legit looking documents were posted:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewto ... =12&t=5519
Back around August 2019 there was lots of talk in the "New Champions League at 2024" thread about all the possible reforms and also regional groups.
It was Funkmaster who posted those videos from the Rapid website:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewto ... 344e54470e
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Someone I know about is calling Conference League for Leftover League. Because it is many clubs from Europa League and Champions League will come over to this tournament when they have lost in their own competition.
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Have I understand this correct?
The winners of these matches from first qualifying rounds are seeded in second qualifying rounds.
The winners of matches involving NK Maribor, Fehérvár, Dundalk, Suduva, The new Saints, Spartak Trnava, Sarajevo, Domazle and KI Klaksvik?
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... jB0famvaEM
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Korgutt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 21:02 Have I understand this correct?
The winners of these matches from first qualifying rounds are seeded in second qualifying rounds.
The winners of matches involving NK Maribor, Fehérvár, Dundalk, Suduva, The new Saints, Spartak Trnava, Sarajevo, Domazle and KI Klaksvik?
Since the Q2 draw is done before the Q1 matches, you are correct
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

dnina10 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 21:09
So these winners can be potential opponent for Vålerenga in second qualifying rounds?
And the winners of matches involving the clubs from KUPS Kuopio and down to Gzira United will be unseeded in second qualifying rounds.
Do you know if it will be a geographically draw pots in Conference League?
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Korgutt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 21:21
dnina10 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 21:09
So these winners can be potential opponent for Vålerenga in second qualifying rounds?
And the winners of matches involving the clubs from KUPS Kuopio and down to Gzira United will be unseeded in second qualifying rounds.
Do you know if it will be a geographically draw pots in Conference League?
Everything you said is correct. We do not know how the grouping will be done. It might be similar to last season, with smaller 6-8 team groupings instead of 8-10. We don't know about the geographical groupings yet