Third European Cup plans (2021- )

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
conscription

Third European Cup plans (2021- )

Post by conscription »

The plans include making the Europa League a 32 team competition while adding a new 32 team competition (third level)

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-new ... ition-2021

How do you see the potential new format?
My bet is that BOTH third and fourth placed teams from CLGS would play in Europa 1/16 finals which will sadly eliminate the battle for the third place
every team eliminated in the EL qualifiers+group stage would be transferred in the third cup
no teams from big leagues will originally start in the new competition
Perhaps we'll have 3 qualification rounds instead of 4 from now on? A champions path in the third cup? Cup winners start in the third level cup instead of the EL?

The thing also sounds less competitive at the first glance than it would supposedly be. Think of the 16 best PO losers of the Europa League (out of 21) + the 16 worst teams that DID qualify for the EL, doesn't sound bad.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I'm curious how the difference will be made between who plays in which cup.
Will there be direct spots for the top -7 countries in the 2nd level? Will top-4 countries always play in 2nd level or can they fall down to 3rd?

With other words. Will the division be made by sporting results or by money.
Idea is to generate more money, so I fear money will define too much which countries will have the easier paths(direct qualification and so).
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

The third cup will not be watched and sponsored that much, especially without top5 league clubs.

In comparison with the past, UEFA Europa League generates decent money with the clubs like chelsea-sevilla-arsenal etc. and direct spot to CLGS
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

The best option would be 32 in CL-GS and 64 in EL-GS.

With only 32 in EL-GS it will be very difficult to get there and a third EC won‘t generate much attention. But it would be an improvement to the current status (with this stupid qualification-system).
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

If the UEFA clowns want to increase the level of competition in the Europa League, they need to do away with the auto GS places.

Perhaps they will with 32 and the tier three competition will be the safety net that catches their preferred teams who fail to qualify. I doubt it though.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

What is missing from European football is not another Cup, it is more teams having a guaranteed 6 games in Autumn from the smaller leagues. Many teams have their season - financially and roster-wise - depending on a single or 2 matches in August...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

To improve the level in the EL there should be more topclubs. So less topclubs to CL :). Max 2 per country and your EL Will improve.
A c-cup isnot that bad idea, as there are many teams who want to play on European level. And a cup is better as those quali matches in the summer.
And it should be sponsored by the CL and EL, alone it will bring not enough money.

But I think you have these kind of different European levels in basketball or handball. It’s not to generate money, but to give European experience.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

I see this as another step towards having a Nations League-like system where from 2024 we would have fixed CL participants, but with the promotion-relegation system. Bottom 8 CL-GS teams would be relegated to EL-GS next season, and top 8 EL teams promoted to CL-GS. The same would apply to the exchange of teams between EL-GS and this new competition.

UEFA could have their desired all-Western 32 CL-GS fairly quickly then.

New entrants would have to earn their place in CL via qualifying bottom-up over several seasons if they're good enough.
ToffeeDan

Post by ToffeeDan »

Maybe this is a proposal for 3 x 32 Group stage events.. (I surmise the current Tues-Wed-Thurs scheduling as now so EC3 would be on other midweeks).

Seems a good way to cut 16 from the existing Europa League GS .. and maybe add a further level of CL Qualifier losers..

Or alternatively a route post New Year for some drop outs from EL/CL rather than the existing arrangements.. We can call it the Europa Plate. (Little Vase) - maybe they could up the EL to 64 (16x4) with winners progressing to 8th Finals and the runners-up joining all the (present) 16 CL drop outs..
Todor

Post by Todor »

That's a very welcomed decision, but maybe it should be made regional. Something like: Balkan League, Baltic League, Celtic League, Med League etc. That way there will be more local derbies to increase the interest and more winners as well.
conscription

Post by conscription »

Now that I think about it can be something really simple like 32 champions from the countres that failed to qualify for the CL/EL. No other clubs involved and no qualification games. It would be easy for PR since they can use the fact that all of the teams are champions. I can see the competition marketed in the same way as national team games.
Todor wrote:That's a very welcomed decision, but maybe it should be made regional. Something like: Balkan League, Baltic League, Celtic League, Med League etc. That way there will be more local derbies to increase the interest and more winners as well.
It's an UEFA cup competition. If it happens it'll probably be just east and west.
Lorric wrote:If the UEFA clowns want to increase the level of competition in the Europa League, they need to do away with the auto GS places
I would say the opposite, lots of good clubs are getting eliminated in cointoss two legged games
There's a simple way to increase quailty: to have the cup winners start in the earliest round possible for the association. Or just remove the cup winner thing completely. Or even prohibit associations from sending european play-off winner/league cup winners instead of the teams that were supposed to qualify. The cup winner privilege is a major contributor of low level teams to the ELGS
ToffeeDan wrote:
If they don't see a reason to have EL games on different days of the week then the third cup is destined to be on the same day of the week as the EL
nikola_belgrade

Post by nikola_belgrade »

UEFA president Ceferin confirmed stories about reform of European cups from 2021. but interesting thing is that he didn't said that they will introduce new competition for sure.

He said they are in discussion right now and that they are considering two options: third competition or expending EL to 64 clubs.

Main motive is, he said, "slowing down polarization between rich and poor, between big and small".

"Big guns" want to play just between themselves, though they know they have to let some money to the small ones, said Ceferin.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Maybe they should make a competition for cup winners :wink:
No to Superleague
hertolo

Post by hertolo »

If it puts away with all those qualification games in July and August, it's fine with me. Being able to plan trips is just an invaluable asset for the fans.

Interesting thought that this could be a first step for UEFA to introduce a "european league system" which i'm not a fan of, but I'm okay with. I don't think we need more "groups of 4"-groupstages.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

hertolo wrote:If it puts away with all those qualification games in July and August, it's fine with me.
No, I want 8 consecutive weeks of midweek drama during July and August to stay for good. This is the highlight of the summer for me. If you take this away, all I'm left is unbearable heat and humidity.