Do you support Super League

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 75

Phocea

Post by Phocea »

After Chelsea and City withdrawals, now Laporta backpedals saying "Barcelona will NOT join the Super League until our socios vote for it. It's their club, so it's their decision."

https://twitter.com/theMadridZone/statu ... 1596878849

It seems like a Titanic.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Wachtwoord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 19:33
SimonB wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 19:26
Wachtwoord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 19:18 I think you do. It's to get rid of UEFA and national football leagues. Cutting out the middle man.

Then a new pyramud is created where discrimination based on geography is eliminated.
:rollfloor: :rollfloor: :rollfloor:

and how many eastern teams do we see in this new non-discriminatory football world :question:

:rollfloor: :rollfloor: :rollfloor:
Plenty :) Where does the east start for you?

Red Star is a nice example. So are several Ukranian and Russian teams.
You miss-understood me I am saying that we do not see them in this new super-league, which is beginning to look like it might not be happening after all if the latest reported developments are true.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

So, 60 people on this forum voted for or against this so called "Super League". 6 for and 54 against, that's 10% for and 90% against. If we consider that 17% of the people think that Elvis Presley is still alive, 7% even from the cuckoos deserted the idea. Not bad. :rollfloor:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Wachtwoord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 19:52 But in a league with no promotion/relegation after a quarter of matches are played in roughly 80% of the remaining matches no-one has anything to gain or lose. How is that interesting? That's why I believe adding P/R and a whole pyramid (with indeed the current national leagues somewhere in there) is a foregone conclusion.

If I'm wrong than everything's shit but than there isn't any hope anyway. All the clubs in non-top5 leagues are simply slowly shrinking relative to the top5 leagues. Something has to happen. I'd support nearly any change at this point.
Are you finally getting it? The Super League is about money. Just put top 20 teams of the world in a league and let them play each other and the money will be rolling in...
It’s called a league, but all matches are basically friendlies. Nothing to gain, at least not much. All the best players will be there, as the salaries will be the biggest.
Ajax could be an invitee every couple of years, but as someone here stated, there also must be invitees from America, Asia, etc.

It seems they have miscalculated. They are not allowed to stay in the national leagues. For me that is logical, as these ‘superteams’ will unbalance the national leagues. Though how can PL survive without the 6?

It seems the SL gambled and did not win. Now Uefa should make sure that they loose, SL is not happening, so turn back the reform planned in 2024, also last reform, go back to qualification matches for top 3 as was 20 years ago. I’m afraid 1 team per country in CL is too much to ask, but latest reforms are all pushed by these SL teams. Under pressure of them breaking away. Now that threat is gone, let’s be more social again and not about these teams....
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

Ricardo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:05
Are you finally getting it? The Super League is about money.
Are you getting it? So is the CL. And the PL for that matter.

As long as you keep these unfair permanent geographic barriers of entry no-one can claim merit is mainly based on performance.

PL didn't even allow Celtic and Rangers to join. BL wont allow Ajax (Or Salzburg). Spain wont allow Porto, Sporting and Benfica.

It's unfair and something needs to change before all non top 5 league clubs have molten completely.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Pl not allowing Scottish club, Bundesliga no Dutch club. Etc. that’s domestic league issues. Not much to do with Uefa. With ice hockey Dutch teams play in German league.
It’s a complete different story. I don’t even think that Uefa has a problem with it. Liechtenstein Club plays in Swiss league. But Vaduz also plays in Liechtenstein cup competition. This mix is not allowed I would expect. A team has to choose between countries that can send them to Europe.
I think Ajax can join PL or BL, from Uefa, but not sure PL and BL wants it. Or that Ajax don’t want it as they will have less chance of being champion or just of getting a European spot...
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

Ricardo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:38 Pl not allowing Scottish club, Bundesliga no Dutch club. Etc. that’s domestic league issues. Not much to do with Uefa. With ice hockey Dutch teams play in German league.
It’s a complete different story. I don’t even think that Uefa has a problem with it. Liechtenstein Club plays in Swiss league. But Vaduz also plays in Liechtenstein cup competition. This mix is not allowed I would expect. A team has to choose between countries that can send them to Europe.
I think Ajax can join PL or BL, from Uefa, but not sure PL and BL wants it. Or that Ajax don’t want it as they will have less chance of being champion or just of getting a European spot...
PL AND BL does NOT allow it. That is the whole problem.

Football needs European divisions A, B and C above the national leagues before you can even dare attack the SL proposal arguing it's closed. So is the current system. The attacks against SL by UEFA and FAs are extremely hypocritical.

Edit:
If Ajax dont want it it's because of politics (directors only caring about the short term). Long term its sink or swim. Without the income from a top 5 league the outcome is pre-ordained.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Wachtwoord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:55

Football needs European divisions A, B and C above the national leagues before you can even dare attack the SL proposal arguing it's closed. So is the current system. The attacks against SL by UEFA and FAs are extremely hypocritical.
Pl and BL not accepting, why is that Uefa error? I explained it’s not an Uefa rule, as Vaduz plays in Swiss league. It’s a responsibility of the domestic leagues, Uefa is not a dictatorship (in this).
CL WAS an open tournament with pretty equal chances. But the SL teams have forced Uefa to make it more and more the closed league the SL teams want.
I don’t like it as it is now
My proposal is to either to let these teams go, and CL will be again less about money and so latest reforms to closed CL should be reversed
Or let these teams in, but they have lost their pressure point, as it shows that they cannot act on their threat. So reverse latest reforms that are done just to please these SL teams.
Result in both ways is that CL is more open.
subway14

Post by subway14 »

ngfsmg

Post by ngfsmg »

This may seem very weird right now, but in his first year at Barça Guardiola had to go through the CL qualifiers. It was in 2008, not in 1960, and they were a very good team, so it was just two extra friendlies for them. Almost all the changes that came after that made the European football worse
Friesland

Post by Friesland »

Ricardo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:38 Pl not allowing Scottish club, Bundesliga no Dutch club. Etc. that’s domestic league issues. Not much to do with Uefa. With ice hockey Dutch teams play in German league.
Article 51 of the UEFA statutes lays out what the rules are for clubs playing in another's member FA competition: it requires the permission of both FAs.
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

Ricardo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 22:20
Wachtwoord wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:55

Pl and BL not accepting, why is that Uefa error? I explained it’s not an Uefa rule, as Vaduz plays in Swiss league. It’s a responsibility of the domestic leagues, Uefa is not a dictatorship (in this).
CL WAS an open tournament with pretty equal chances. But the SL teams have forced Uefa to make it more and more the closed league the SL teams want.
I don’t like it as it is now
My proposal is to either to let these teams go, and CL will be again less about money and so latest reforms to closed CL should be reversed
Or let these teams in, but they have lost their pressure point, as it shows that they cannot act on their threat. So reverse latest reforms that are done just to please these SL teams.
Result in both ways is that CL is more open.
I said it's a problem UEFA should solve.
So the UEFA's fault is not resolving it.
They can't force PL or BL, they can run their own pan European pyramid.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

No Uefa should not solve this! It is not a dictatorship!! The solution, as Friesland stated, both FA’s should agree seems a very good one.
Likewise it’s the PL that forced the SL to collapse by stating they were not welcome anymore. Uefa had little to say about it. Uefa could say they are not welcome in Uefa Events, like CL and maybe players not welcome in EC. But they could not stop them participating in domestic leagues. It was the domestic leagues themselves who decided to throw them out. And so forcing the collapse of the SL. As English team earn now more with PL as with CL?
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

Ricardo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 00:45 No Uefa should not solve this! It is not a dictatorship!! The solution, as Friesland stated, both FA’s should agree seems a very good one.
Likewise it’s the PL that forced the SL to collapse by stating they were not welcome anymore. Uefa had little to say about it. Uefa could say they are not welcome in Uefa Events, like CL and maybe players not welcome in EC. But they could not stop them participating in domestic leagues. It was the domestic leagues themselves who decided to throw them out. And so forcing the collapse of the SL. As English team earn now more with PL as with CL?
I thought you wanted an open European competition based on merit? Instead you are advocating for a closed system? If Ajax wins every match for the next 10 years still they will not be able to play PL or BL.

It's very hypocritical to attack the SL because it is a closed league but than defend the current closed league structure simply because its convenient for you. Would suck for your team if Ajax left you in the Mickey Mouse competition with nobodies.