Belgian Football Season 2019/20

Domestic league and cup football
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Belgium continues to play rebel and ignore UEFA, now saying no football until the end of August.

I think UEFA should say enough is enough and ban Belgium from Europe until they accept to finish their league, according to UEFA directives.
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

Firnen wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 19:28 Belgium continues to play rebel and ignore UEFA, now saying no football until the end of August.
It's the fans that aren't allowed to attend games (not as you claim "no football until the end of August").
There's a proposal to play games behind closed doors which is on the agenda for next week.
Firnen wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 19:28I think UEFA should say enough is enough and ban Belgium from Europe until they accept to finish their league, according to UEFA directives.
Great ban-ter.
matt

Post by matt »

Firnen wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 19:28 Belgium continues to play rebel and ignore UEFA, now saying no football until the end of August.

I think UEFA should say enough is enough and ban Belgium from Europe until they accept to finish their league, according to UEFA directives.

LOL. UEFA will soon understand that it's not possible to finish the season in july or august in some countries. No need to send threats.
The plan to play in Italy and Spain every three days during summer is a joke even in normal times, let alone in 2020.
International break hater
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

Turns out Belgium isn't the only country to take this measure: Germany bans major events until end of August.
Big sporting events like Bundesliga games will not be allowed to go ahead with crowds. But no formal decision has been made yet on if matches can take place behind closed doors as so-called "ghost games" without an audience.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 21:36

LOL. UEFA will soon understand that it's not possible to finish the season in july or august in some countries. No need to send threats.
The plan to play in Italy and Spain every three days during summer is a joke even in normal times, let alone in 2020.
Spain will back down. They have already started thinking the economic cost of the lockdown, and PP and VoX are attacking the minority government every day. Eventually everyone will stop listening to epidemiologists and start listening to economologists.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

YAYgee wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 00:21 Turns out Belgium isn't the only country to take this measure: Germany bans major events until end of August.
Big sporting events like Bundesliga games will not be allowed to go ahead with crowds. But no formal decision has been made yet on if matches can take place behind closed doors as so-called "ghost games" without an audience.
Games without spectators shouldn't be a problem and the Minister presidents of Bavaria and North Rhine-Westphalia both already said that it could be allowed soon.
krdel

Post by krdel »

My solution would be simple. Countries can choose freely whether they will finish the season or not.

Those who won't cannot play in Europe this season. There will be lots of matches anyway and lesser the number of teams the better, as one or two QRs could be scrapped.

UEFA should not exercise pressure just for money. It won't be the end of the world if some teams won't play one season.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

krdel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 08:56 My solution would be simple. Countries can choose freely whether they will finish the season or not.
That won't be a free choise then, since clubs will not want to miss out on European matches.

Countries should only be allowed to not finish their season, if their governments forbid to have football matches alltogether untill the end of August.
krdel

Post by krdel »

Forza AZ wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 09:17
krdel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 08:56 My solution would be simple. Countries can choose freely whether they will finish the season or not.
That won't be a free choise then, since clubs will not want to miss out on European matches.
It is still free. You have all the information and you choose. If they want to play in Europe, then they should choose to continue the season.

The problem now is that UEFA wants all teams in Europen competitions for the marketing money and I am afraid that they are ready to break the rules for that.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Todor

Post by Todor »

I don't understand the push to finish the leagues. All in all this season is already f**ked up. Declare it void, use the current rankings to determine the European places and hopefully start the new season as scheduled. If the leagues want they may allow promotion and increase the size accordingly. It won't be the first time a season is interrupted and not finished. Pushing this season deep later in the year will only complicate the next season as well. If the leagues continue as there are plans to, the end of this and the next season will be merged together with an Euro at the back of them. This will make it probably an 80-match-long season. Will it be at all possible?
matt

Post by matt »

Firnen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 01:42

Spain will back down. They have already started thinking the economic cost of the lockdown, and PP and VoX are attacking the minority government every day. Eventually everyone will stop listening to epidemiologists and start listening to economologists.

I'm not talking about a full lockdown in the summer, i'm only talking about football here. You can't start to play football soon. Sports won't be the first activities to restart. And in the summer the climate is just too hot there.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Firnen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 01:42

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

1st any country knows and decides what to do to protect their citizens health. Not fck UEFA
2nd it was UEFA that said in first place that was FA's decision how to finish the championships.
3rd economy is to make the life of citizens better. No citizens no economy, so health comes first.
4th Business as usual better than quarantine like said Trump, Bolsonaro, Boris Johnson and so? Not really.
https://observador.pt/especiais/por-que ... sa-pensar/
https://www.nber.org/papers/w26882

But when a person quotes Vox, we know where the argument is going.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

It was confirmed yesterday that Sporting Lokeren are bankrupt and have lost their professional license. They will not be partaking in next season's Proximus League, should there be one. It remains to be seen if they will merge with a club (many rumours are that they're going to merge with now third amateur division side VW Hamme), or cease to exist. Such an unfortunate situation this is for Lokeren. A sad day for Belgian football
matt

Post by matt »

What's happening with belgian clubs? Problems to obtain a licence, a club bankrupted...
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

matt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 19:23 What's happening with belgian clubs? Problems to obtain a licence, a club bankrupted...
This is nothing new. The Belgian clubs have had that problem for quite some time now. To your point, a whopping 7 out of the 24 professional clubs from this season did not obtain a professional license for next season, including Standard. Of course, as mentioned above, Sporting Lokeren will not obtain a pro license for next season, and it's looking more and more likely that several of the other clubs who did not get a license will join them. I only expect Standard to obtain a license out of the remaining 6. That leaves Belgium with 20 professional teams for next season (Deinze and RWDM received professional licenses as well). Belgian club football is definitely going through a tough time once again