Spanish First Division--LaLiga, 2019-2020

Domestic league and cup football
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Schedule update for Jornada 38 :arrow:

Three of the games that have nothing at stake for the teams involved have been rescheduled--all on Sunday 19 July of course :arrow:

1700 Alavés-Barça

1830 Valladolid-Betis

1830 Villarreal-Eibar

All other games at 2100 on Sunday. Can't figure out why the Osasuna-Mallorca games wasn't rescheduled--I may have overlooked something. :confused:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

And so, "the curtain comes down on LaLiga" on Sunday, 19 July, with games at three different hours, now that the "intranscendant" games have been identified :mrgreen: :arrow:

1700 Alavés-Barça Barça can't win the title; Alavés can't drop.

1830 Valladolid-Betis Neither can drop; neither can end up in European competition.

1830 Villarreal-Eibar Ditto Valladolid-Betis.

2100 Osasuna-Mallorca Can't figure out why this wasn't rescheduled--Osasuna can't end up in European competition; Mallorca has dropped.

2100 Atlético-Real Sociedad Should la Real lose, they could end up out of Europe. Atleti is safely qualified for the CL.

2100 Espanyol-Celta Espanyol has dropped; Celta could drop with a loss or a tie.

2100 Granada-Athletic Athletic is out of Europe; Granada could win an EL spot with a win; a tie wouldn't be good enough.

2100 Leganés-Real Madrid Lega must win and hope that Celta does not in order to beat the drop.

2100 Levante-Getafe Levante plays for pride; Geta would cinch an EL spot with a win, while a tie could be enough--or not :!:

2100 Sevilla-Valencia Sevilla is safely in a CL spot. Valencia needs a win to have a chance at an EL spot.

I may have missed on tie-breaker situations; if you spot something, please advise.
subway14

Post by subway14 »

AlanK wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 13:23All other games at 2100 on Sunday. Can't figure out why the Osasuna-Mallorca games wasn't rescheduled--I may have overlooked something. :confused:
it's because Osasuna can still influence the h2h for 7th place if all end on 54 pts

if Getafe and Granada tie on 54 pts Geta has h2h gd but if Osasuna comes into that equation Granada will be top as they have 2 wins against Osasuna while Geta has 2 draws :lol:

possible tie-breaks at 54 with winner bolded:
GET-GRA
GET-ATB
GET-GRA-OSA
GET-GRA-VAL
GET-ATB-OSA
GET-ATB-VAL
GET-GRA-VAL-OSA
GET-ATB-VAL-OSA

GET-OSA
GET-VAL
GET-VAL-OSA
are also possible but in this case Granada would have 56 points :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

@subway14: Thanx and a tip o' the hat :!: Figured there might be something like that involved.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

And the curtain comes down on the 2019-2020 season in LaLiga :!: Today's games :arrow:

1700 Alavés 0, Barça 5 Both playing for pride--Alavés cannot drop and Barça cannot win the league championship. A relaxed Barça puts on a show--all the offense was theirs. Riqui P., Vidal, and Messi hit the woodwork by the time minute 16 had rolled around. At 24', Ansu Fate scores--don't know whether Messi gets credit for an assist (update: Barça's website says he does)--1-0. At 34', Messi scores from Riqui P., at 44', Suárez makes it 0-3 with a header assisted by Alba. Second half: Semedo ( :shock: ) scores from Riqui P. at 58' for 0-4, and Messi scores from Alba at 75'--0-5 the final.

1830 Valladolid 2, Betis 0 Both are safe from the drop; neither is going to Europe. At 45'+1', Guardiola scores for Valladolid--1-0 at the half. Oscar Plano makes it 2-0 at 63'; that's the final score.

1830 Villarreal 4, Eibar 0 Villarreal has already written their ticket to the EL for next season; Eibar is safe from the drop. Scoreless first half in the Estadio de la Cerámica. Villarreal clinches fifth place in LaLiga with four second-half goals. Anguissa at 71, Gerard Moreno at 86' and 89', and Moi Gómez at 94' do the honors. Santi Cazorla left the game at 82', as he made his final good-bye to the virtual fans in Villarreal's Estadio de la Cerámica. AND I guess it's just been announced that Unai Emery will be Villarreal's manager next season :!: :applause: :applause:

ALL THE REST ARE AT 2100 :arrow: ALL GAMES FINAL.

Atlético 1, Real Sociedad 1 Atleti is in the CL for next season; la Real has an EL spot to secure. Koke gives Atleti the lead at 30'. At the half, la Real is out of Europe. Well, I picked the game to watch for excitement--Januzaj comes in very late, takes a free kick at 87' . . . and the free kick somehow eludes Oblak--1-1 and la Real finishes the league in sixth place.

Espanyol 0, Celta 0 Espanyol has dropped; Celta could share Espanyol's fate should they not win and should Leganés win. Goal was posted for Espanyol, but apparently disallowed. At the half, Celta is still in First Division. And Celta avoids the drop.

Granada 4, Athletic 0 Granada could still win an EL spot for the coming season; Athletic cannot. Soldado's goal at 29' has Granada qualified for the EL AT THE HALF. Granada is knocked from 6th place to 7th by the late goal of la Real . . . but that still gets them an EL spot. Second half goals by Antonio Puertas at 55', Carlos Fernández at 67', and Montoro at 94'--4-0 blowout in the Nuevo Los Cármenes.

Leganés 2, Real Madrid 2 Lega can avoid the drop with a win IF Celta does not win. Real has won the championship of LaLiga. Ramos at 9' for Real and Bryan Gil at 45'+1' equalize the score at the half. Lega is still for the drop at the half. At 52', Marco Asensio makes it 1-2; Assalé ties for Lega at 78', but no miracles for Lega, and they drop "with honor."

Levante 1, Getafe 0 Levante goes neither up nor down. Geta needs a win to secure an EL spot; otherwise they probably won't be in Europe next season. Another game in which a posted goal was apparently disallowed. Getafe is still in Europe--by the skin of their teeth. Coke Andújar gives Levante the win at 99' :!: . . . but Geta was already out of Europe at that point due to Januzaj's goal in the Metropolitano.

Sevilla 1, Valencia 0 Sevilla will finish third or fourth, in a CL spot regardless. Valencia could still end up in an EL spot if they win and others don't. Scoreless in Sevilla at the half. A goal would qualify Valencia--if no other scores change. But the goal was by Reguilón of Sevilla at 55', and Valencia is out of Europe.

Osasuna 2, Mallorca 2 There is a "carambola" in which Osasuna's presence in a four-way tie could influence another team's qualification for the EL. See subway 14's calculations above. Mallorca has already dropped. Adrián at 22' and Lumor at 45'+1' the scorers for Osa and Mallorca respectively. Budimir gives Mallorca the lead at 65'; Iñigo Pérez ties for Osasuna at 68'. No carambola here today :!:
Last edited by AlanK on Sun Jul 19, 2020 23:30, edited 6 times in total.
matt

Post by matt »

Four teams for two EL places. Predictions?
International break hater
subway14

Post by subway14 »

Geta's gonna walk it :lol:
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

I just want Geta to get EL.

Real could do today a solid to their neighbours (assuming i read right and Leganes are from Madrid aswell) and let them win to avoid relegation.
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

Congrats to Real Madrid, they weren‘t impressive but it‘s one of the worst Barcelona‘s for a long time, so deserved title for them.

Let‘s see, I hope Messi can take the “Pichichi“ once again home with him.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Funkmaster wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:29 Congrats to Real Madrid, they weren‘t impressive but it‘s one of the worst Barcelona‘s for a long time, so deserved title for them.

Messi scores two vs Alavés; finishes with 25 goals on the season, four more than Benzema going into Real's game in Butarque.
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

Funkmaster wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:29 Congrats to Real Madrid, they weren‘t impressive but it‘s one of the worst Barcelona‘s for a long time, so deserved title for them.

it would be the 4th pichichi in a row :mrgreen:
matt

Post by matt »

Bulgarian wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:27 I just want Geta to get EL.
Three disallowed goals and a missed penalty, Getafe are out of europe next season. They were awful from the restart, but very unlucky in the last couple of games, especially tonight.

Real Sociedad to ELGS, Granada to EL qualfiiers. Leganes down to Segunda.
International break hater
subway14

Post by subway14 »

lol Geta the bottlers :lol: they had CL before the break and now didn't manage EL even :lol:

btw I was watching the final moments of Espanyol-Celta and they showed the Celta players looking at their phones (and I was looking on mine) and when the Leganés-Real 2-2 on flashscore went from red to black they all went cheering :lol:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

I wonder, what if Real Sociedad couldn't level the score against Atletico and finished outside of top 7? Would that change their mind and play the cup final with Bilbao? I'm pleased that Granada can play in Europe.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

TELON--that is, the final curtain has come down on LaLiga, edition of 2019-2020, the standings as follows :arrow:

1. Real Madrid--------------87 points; +70-25 CL qualification.
2. Barça-------------------82 points; +86-38 CL qualification. For what it's worth, most goals scored and best GD.
3. Atlético-----------------70 points; +51-27 CL qualification. Tie-breaker vs Sevilla was GD.
4. Sevilla------------------70 points; +54-34 CL qualification.
---------------------------------------
5. Villarreal----------------60 points; +63-49 EL qualification.
6. Real Sociedad-----------56 points; +56-48 EL qualification. Tie breaker vs Granada was GD.
7. Granada----------------56 points; +52-45 EL qualification. Do they have to win playoffs to enter GS :?: I've lost track :( :!: Great year :!:
-----------------------------------------
8. Getafe-----------------54 points; +43-37 Tough restart; tough last game :!:
9. Valencia---------------53 points; +46-53 Painful end to the season :!:
10. Osasuna--------------52 points; +46-54 Great year for recently promoted team.
11. Athletic--------------51 points; +41-38 Very disappointing ending to the season.
12. Levante--------------49 points; +47-53 Played some great games--beat both Real and Barça :!:
13. Valladolid------------42 points; +32-43 Very happy to finish this high :!:
14. Eibar-----------------42 points; +39-56 Mendilíbar is a miracle worker :!:
15. Betis-----------------41 points; +48-60 Wretched season, but "Viva er Beti manque perda." :mrgreen:
16. Alavés----------------39 points; +34-59 Good enough at home to overcome wretched season on the road.
17. Celta-----------------37 points; +37-49 Thanking their lucky stars that Lega didn't score one more today.
----------------------------------------
18. Leganés--------------36 points; +30-51 For want of one more goal today . . .
19. Mallorca--------------33 points; +40-65 Tough season at Son Moix, but much tougher on the road for Mallorca: six points from 19 games :shock: :!:
20. Espanyol-------------25 points; +27-58 Historia de una muerte anunciada . . . "Volveremos :!: "