Scottish Football 2019/20

Domestic league and cup football
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Lubomir25 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 20:29 Scotlands lower leagues have been declared over. The top flight will be declared if the rest of the games cannot be played.

Championship : Dundee United Champions
Partick Thistle Relegated

League one: Raith Rovers Champions
Stranraer Relegated

League Two: Cove Rangers Champions

Reconstruction will now be discussed which may mean teams will not be relegated but thats how it stands at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52297066
I had been following this news story. A bit messy, particularly with regard to the Dundee situation.

Are we to assume then that there will be no relegation form League Two and therefore no promotion/relegation for the Highland league or Lowland league, or is that still to be decided, or has it already been decided?
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

As it stands no relegation from league 2 as the play offs are canceled. The only way teams from the Lowland and Highland league will come up is via reconstruction of the leagues
seso

Post by seso »

Lubomir25 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 20:29
Championship :
NOOO!!! :(

The situation with the number of matches played is completely unfair. For example Patrick Thistle has played one match less than Queen of the South. If they got 3 points in that match, they would go up one position and would not be relegated directly, but enter the relegation play-offs (against Falkirk, Airdrieonians and Montrose; no problem for Patrick Thistle :D ). Strange and unfair how the match schedule dates can decide relegation or not...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I saw people in the know saying this vote was in the bag, but I couldn't really understand it. It seems disgraceful to me that so many clubs must be living hand to mouth to vote against their own interests like this. Everyone bottom and in contention for at least a playoff place should have been voting this down while everyone in danger of relegation and in 1st I'd expect to vote for season end.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Steven Gerard: "Clubs are saying yes to end the championship right now because they will receive the money right now and not waiting"
https://abola.pt/nnh/2020-04-16/rangers ... iro/839921 (in portuguese).
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

seso wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 03:57
Lubomir25 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 20:29
Championship :
NOOO!!! :(

The situation with the number of matches played is completely unfair. For example Patrick Thistle has played one match less than Queen of the South. If they got 3 points in that match, they would go up one position and would not be relegated directly, but enter the relegation play-offs (against Falkirk, Airdrieonians and Montrose; no problem for Patrick Thistle :D ). Strange and unfair how the match schedule dates can decide relegation or not...
Final positions were decided on a points per game average, thats why Partick are the club to go down.
seso

Post by seso »

Lubomir25 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 01:10
Final positions were decided on a points per game average, thats why Partick are the club to go down.
Damn, Patrick missed out for 0.0371 points per match! :mrgreen:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I was looking at the 3 leagues below the SPL, and if this was done the way I described, each league would have had less than 50% vote to end the season, never mind the 75% requirement. And that even includes a couple of teams who were highly unlikely to get a playoff or go down who I think would just vote to pick up the cash.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

On this day: Dundee's run to the European Cup semi-finals in 1963
By Richard Winton
BBC Sport Scotland

1 May 2020 Dundee

A team now languishing in the Scottish second tier potentially becoming only the third side in eight seasons to claim that title after Real Madrid and Benfica? Aye, very good.
And yet, 57 years ago, Bob Shankly's side rampaged through their only European Cup campaign. A campaign in which the champions of Germany, Portugal and Belgium were each given hidings, before their feted Italian equivalents ended Dundee's run at the semi-final stage.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52439318
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

On This Day: Celtic lose European Cup final to Feyenoord
By Jordan Elgott & David Currie
BBC Scotland
9 hours ago
From the section
Celtic

"The greatest disappointment of my footballing career," admits Davie Hay, Celtic's right-back on that evening in Milan.
"When you look at the pictures of us going up to get our medals, there is a total look of despair and despondency.
"We hadnae heard of Feyenoord. They were something like 44-1 rank outsiders."
There is a beautiful irony about Hay's comments. Three years prior, Helenio Herrera's glamorous Inter Milan side would have felt similar about Celtic's team of locals before they succumbed to one of football's greatest upsets. Celtic became the first British team to win the European Cup in 1967 by beating them 2-1 in Lisbon.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52520874
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

And at the same time the Dutch media cherised the memories of those days. The first European Cup for a Dutch club!
Like NRC, and AD even had a special section on it.

Myself, I remember that the next day I still hardly could believe it really happened ;)
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Aberdeen 2-1 Real Madrid: John Hewitt - from ball boy to hero
11 May 2020 Aberdeen

Thirty seven years ago, Alex Ferguson's team in red were marauding across Europe. Not yet the scarlet of Manchester United, but the colour of Aberdeen. Ferguson guided a team from the north east of Scotland to European glory, defeating Real Madrid in the final of the Cup Winners' Cup. But while Britain's finest manager was in charge of a team littered with internationals, it was local 20-year-old John Hewitt who would be the hero of Gothenburg. Here, he tells you his story...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52579605
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

seso wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39
Lubomir25 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 01:10
Damn, Patrick missed out for 0.0371 points per match! :mrgreen:
Which we'd have got by winning our game on hand v Inverness.

Rather annoyed by this.
seso

Post by seso »

Yes, I would predict Inverness 1-3 Partick Thistle and 3 points in the bag for Patrick Thistle! :D

BTW Dundee United dominated the division! Let's see how they will do next season in the premiership! The club has a 100% record in four matches against Barcelona in competitive European ties! 'Customers' (pelates) as we say in Greece!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Celtic have been officially crowned as Scottish Champions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

Hearts go down.

I presume Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen will then claim the EL places.