Scottish Football 2019/20

Domestic league and cup football
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Paul Lambert's Borussia Dortmund dream 23 years on

By Andy Burke
BBC Scotland

It was September 1994 and Lambert's Motherwell had lost 1-0 to Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of a Uefa Cup first round tie. Lambert impressed but, even so, had you predicted that less than three years later he would appear in a Champions League final alongside Dortmund's stars, the man himself would probably have dismissed the notion as ludicrous.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52624318
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

England 1-5 Scotland: The day the Wembley Wizards were born
By Richard Winton
BBC Sport Scotland

Some 73 years on, stone A21 in plot six at Fayid marks the life of the military man - his service with the Eighth Army in north Africa, then the Pioneer Corps. But it speaks little of a man better known as Alex Jackson, once regarded as the 'greatest footballer in the world'.

"The president wants us to discuss football but you all know what's expected of you tomorrow," the Manchester City half-back reportedly told his men. "All I've got to say is, go to your bed, put your head on your pillow and pray for rain."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52089989
seso

Post by seso »

Does anybody know if the Cup SFs will go ahead?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

seso wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 05:14 Does anybody know if the Cup SFs will go ahead?
I've read that the desire is to play them once they're allowed to have fans back.

Nothing confirmed yet afaik.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Scottish Championship clubs vote for a shortened 27 game season next season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53002695

So, how do they decide who gets the extra home game? I suppose they could have them earn it, top 5 after 18 games get it. That seems the best way to me.
fillow

Post by fillow »

Lorric wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 18:19 Scottish Championship clubs vote for a shortened 27 game season next season:

So, how do they decide who gets the extra home game? I suppose they could have them earn it, top 5 after 18 games get it. That seems the best way to me.
I think the most fair way would be to account this season home/away ratio. With the season unfinished, many clubs would have uneven ratio even if they played an even number of games. So, reward the ones who had less homes and take one away from those who had more. Otherwise it should be a draw.

I wonder what's the method they use in PL for the first stage and if they account historical or at least last season's home/away game ratio for each pair of teams.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

fillow wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 08:26
Lorric wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 18:19 Scottish Championship clubs vote for a shortened 27 game season next season:

I think the most fair way would be to account this season home/away ratio. With the season unfinished, many clubs would have uneven ratio even if they played an even number of games. So, reward the ones who had less homes and take one away from those who had more. Otherwise it should be a draw.

I wonder what's the method they use in PL for the first stage and if they account historical or at least last season's home/away game ratio for each pair of teams.
That's a good idea.

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.as ... =scotland2

Inverness and Dundee played an extra away game. You could also give one to Arbroath as they played less games than anyone, so still only got 13 home games like those two. That leaves 2 teams. I checked the teams coming into the league, and they don't have an imbalance.

It's pretty complicated, iirc, they assume that the same six teams who made the top 6 split last year make it again, and if they do, reverse the fixtures. Remember, that applies to the odd numbered fixtures before the split as well. If they don't, they reverse where they can and then things get complicated...
fillow

Post by fillow »

Lorric wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 It's pretty complicated, iirc, they assume that the same six teams who made the top 6 split last year make it again, and if they do, reverse the fixtures. Remember, that applies to the odd numbered fixtures before the split as well. If they don't, they reverse where they can and then things get complicated...
Yeah, I know this much, I've read a long article on this once. But of course since their assumptions are not becoming reality in many cases, they would end up with some teams playing 18+20 games instead of 19+19, or maybe 1+3 against certain opponents instead of 2+2. And of course many pairs from different halves of the split end with 1+2 by design. What I wanted to know is whether they try to compensate for these individual pair disbalances that (probably) accumulate over the years.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

fillow wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 16:02
Lorric wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 It's pretty complicated, iirc, they assume that the same six teams who made the top 6 split last year make it again, and if they do, reverse the fixtures. Remember, that applies to the odd numbered fixtures before the split as well. If they don't, they reverse where they can and then things get complicated...
Yeah, I know this much, I've read a long article on this once. But of course since their assumptions are not becoming reality in many cases, they would end up with some teams playing 18+20 games instead of 19+19, or maybe 1+3 against certain opponents instead of 2+2. And of course many pairs from different halves of the split end with 1+2 by design. What I wanted to know is whether they try to compensate for these individual pair disbalances that (probably) accumulate over the years.
I think so. I've seen it alluded to on the Celtic forum.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Thistle relegated by a vote of 16-26 against.
macgregorc93

Post by macgregorc93 »

Lorric wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40
seso wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 05:14 Does anybody know if the Cup SFs will go ahead?
I've read that the desire is to play them once they're allowed to have fans back.

Nothing confirmed yet afaik.
They need to hurry up because UEFA needs that CW spot filled. The two options are
A) Play the SF/F in an empty area regardless of what the SFA want
B) Cancel it and give it to Aberdeen who are 4th.
fillow

Post by fillow »

C) Give EL spot to Aberdeen but play SF/F in September anyway
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Have they decided if they will play their Cup?

Like, what takes them so long, seriously?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 03:01 Have they decided if they will play their Cup?

It looks like it will be played late-ish 2020. League fixtures were released today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53298168

This looks like a ticking time bomb. Even with no winter break, there's very little room for postponements and Scotland's winter usually wipes out a swathe of fixtures.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 03:01 Have they decided if they will play their Cup?

The Scottish Cup final for season 2019-20 will be played on 20 December.

The Hampden showpiece was originally scheduled for 9 May, but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The semi-finals - Hearts v Hibernian and Celtic v Aberdeen - have been rearranged for 31 October and 1 November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53478993

So, Aberdeen to Q1, Rangers to Q2.