French season 2019/20

Domestic league and cup football
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Lyonnais wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 07:21 Core fans of PSG, St Étienne and Lyon however decided NOT to attend to the Cup finals.
I see... But why? St Etienne fans say:

Avec 900 places pour les supporters stéphanois et des conditions sanitaires impossibles à respecter, nous avons décidé à contrecoeur qu'aucun des cinq groupes de l'AS Saint-Étienne n'ira supporter les Verts à Saint-Denis.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actuali ... ce/1151553

What do they mean by "health requirements that are impossible to respect"?
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

It’s been a long time since I gave up trying to understand the logics of the fans’ associations .... (whoever they are, including OL fans).

From what i read, 2 reasons not to go to the stadium

(i) with a maximum capacity of 5,000 spectators, clubs were allowed 900 seats only (other seats are reserved for sponsors, officials, etc.) and the fans’associations refused to choose who could go there or not. Too difficult apparently (st Étienne claim that they received 40,000 ticket requests).

(ii) unofficial reason, the Ultras consider that social distance rules are not compliant with the way they expect to attend the game. Not that they deny the need of respecting social distances, but it’s not the way they are considering attending a football game (notion of group, etc.)

Note that under the pressure of their Ultras, St Étienne decided not to sell or give their 900 tickets. As the fans associations decided not to buy them, one could have expected them to give them to say children, unemployed people, nurses, whoever, but they won’t.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

There is no football with social distancing. And it will become evident once fans are allowed back in. And it is 100% normal. Football atmosphere and social distancing do not go together.
matt

Post by matt »

Firnen wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 17:22 There is no football with social distancing. And it will become evident once fans are allowed back in. And it is 100% normal. Football atmosphere and social distancing do not go together.

Fans will have to wait a little longer then.
International break hater
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

matt wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 19:29
Firnen wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 17:22 There is no football with social distancing. And it will become evident once fans are allowed back in. And it is 100% normal. Football atmosphere and social distancing do not go together.

Fans will have to wait a little longer then.
They just will not follow social distancing. It has already hapenned in Poland, Hungary, Russia etc. It will happen in Italy too once you open the stadiums.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

For the Paris players, it may be more about trying to get through the match unscathed. Mbappe just saw a nasty tackle, which cost a red card for Perrin, and Neymar was kicked down from the first minute as well. Mbappe went out, and it does not look very well.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Is Saint-Ettien alwyas playing this dirty?
nikola_belgrade

Post by nikola_belgrade »

St. Ettien could end PSG hopes for CL this season. Mbappe out and bad tackles from St. Ettien players still on. This is ridiculous, referee should have warned them already after tackle on Neymar.
Meister Ether

Post by Meister Ether »

Didn't see the match but I am not surprised by ASSE players being dirty. I think many french teams are now trying to deny PSG as many trophies as possible because of weariness. The team has done quite bad this season. You can't change from that immediately, even after such a long break.
Btw Neymar kicked himself down by exaggerated theatre. As a quick, skilled player he's tackled very often but not only nastily. Bad character imho.

Cheering for OL next week though and hoping they don't play like ASSE today. They would probably do better in ELQ than Stade de Reims.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Haven’t watched the game but from what I read

- poor game generally speaking. Looked like more a boxing game than a football game namely in the first half
- yes, dirty behaviour of St Étienne with very rude tackles and two injuries Kehrer and Mbappé. Another tacle on Pareses was horrible but the player looks fine.
- it’s not clear whether the Parisians were mainly focused on avoiding kicks but they looked like playing another friendly game and didn’t put the necessary intensity to make the game become easy.
- however fair to say that Moulin the keeper of st Étienne made a great game (while being lucky not to take a red in the Mbappé incident as he litterally kicked a Parisian)
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

That said 13th Cup for Paris SG who improve their all time record
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Lyonnais wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 09:02 Haven’t watched the game but from what I read

- poor game generally speaking. Looked like more a boxing game than a football game namely in the first half
- yes, dirty behaviour of St Étienne with very rude tackles and two injuries Kehrer and Mbappé. Another tacle on Pareses was horrible but the player looks fine.
- it’s not clear whether the Parisians were mainly focused on avoiding kicks but they looked like playing another friendly game and didn’t put the necessary intensity to make the game become easy.
- however fair to say that Moulin the keeper of st Étienne made a great game (while being lucky not to take a red in the Mbappé incident as he litterally kicked a Parisian)
I did watch this match yesterday evening, it was an entertaining and fast start with St. Etienne hitting the post and PSG having chances one of which they scored.

It all turned sour though with the bad tackle on Mbappe that resulted in a red card and several yellows for the resulting brawl, even Verratti got a yellow and he was on the bench!

The remainder of the match was more boring with St. Etienne trying in vain to make a comeback. I used to like St. Etienne but with this display and the episode with the Arsenal loan player I am beginning to go off them a bit.

Still, at least they have the consolation of knowing that they have helped their good neighbours next weekend by injuring Mbappe :D
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

SimonB wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:47
Still, at least they have the consolation of knowing that they have helped their good neighbours next weekend by injuring Mbappe :D
:wink:
We will under heavy pressure so that no other Parisian gets injured.
However, it’s not our way of playing (physical intimidation) and I even think that this young team of OL lacks of vice in this kind of games.
matt

Post by matt »

The League cup final PSG - OL will be played tonight. If OL win, they will qualify for EL, otherwise Reims will take the last place.
International break hater
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

I‘ve got a feeling that PSG will screw up this final tonight