CLGS matchday 5

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

Obviously I am not an independent observer, but I see Slavia surviving every group except E.
SK Slavia Praha fan
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Funkmaster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 13:09
Dragonite wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:50
Funkmaster wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 23:06

Pointless argument. Do you actually watch football games? Probably not ;) Results aren‘t everything and all defeats are not the same
A': PSG, Real Madrid, Club Brugge
B': Bayern, Tottenham and Olympiakos
C': Manchester City, Shakhtar and Dinamo Zagreb
D': Juventus, Atlético Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen
E': Liverpool, Napoli and Salzburg
G': Zenit, Benfica and Lyon
H': Chelsea, Ajax and Valencia

In which of these groups, according to you, Slavia would "survive"?
In every group except H, D and maybe G and E they would have had very good chances. They are on the same level like many pot 3 clubs. Furthermore I won´t answer to the rest of your post. You have a complete opposite view of football like me (and many other members in this forum) and rely only on statistics in which domestic football has zero importance. I recognise your opinion but can´t take you seriously. I am not interested in discussing this with you, since this would lead to nowhere. I am also not interested in future discussion with you, since they would be almost the same like this one.
Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you, Slavia would have "good chances" to finish above Club Brugge in A', or above Olympiakos in B', or above Dinamo Zagreb in C'.

I just don't think that 3/7 is "almost any other group", when you say it it should be 5/7 or 6/7.

And I also don't see how imagining what they would do in matches that they never had to play is relevant at all.

I wish that next season Slavia actually survives its CL or EL group, instead of just having this annoying "we would have been much more successful in almost any other group" claim.
And I also wish that other Czech teams like Viktoria Plzen and Sparta Prague also make it to the group stages.

quelhar wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 13:53 Obviously I am not an independent observer, but I see Slavia surviving every group except E.
I'm curious, what do you feel when you see others like Funkmaster saying "they would have survived in almost any other group"?
You like it, you dislike it, or what he believes that would happen in imaginary matches means nothing to you? :confused:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Todor

Post by Todor »

Slavia dominated Barca at home, drew them at Camp Nou and were minutes away from beating Inter away. They weren't outplayed by Borussia either. It is something very few pot 3 teams from a non-Top 4 country have achieved. So yes they would have had very good chances of finishing 3rd in the other groups bar E.
Of course we would never know but still I think they were extremely unlucky with the draw.
Still I will not be surprised if they chop something off in Dortmund.
Last edited by Todor on Fri Nov 29, 2019 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Leverkusen are never worse than 3rd in the CL group, I don't know if it ever happened. In most of their CL seasons they've been 2nd. Now they were good enough to beat Atletico at home (fully deserved), win the EL battle against Lok-who showed good performances in Leverkusen and Turin- and still have chances to reach the R16. The performance at Atletico with a close and unlucky defeat was also pretty good. Can't imagine Slavia would be above Leverkusen in this group. Possible? Yes, it's football, but I don't think it would be the case.
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

Dragonite wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 15:37
quelhar wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 13:53 Obviously I am not an independent observer, but I see Slavia surviving every group except E.
I'm curious, what do you feel when you see others like Funkmaster saying "they would have survived in almost any other group"?
You like it, you dislike it, or what he believes that would happen in imaginary matches means nothing to you? :confused:
I like it, because it shows how much respect Slavia earned among fans from around the world with their performances (and despite collecting only two points). And I think this opinion (surviving in most other groups) is shared by most fans of Slavia.
SK Slavia Praha fan
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

I was was able to watch Slavia at least one half against Inter away and Barca at home. Not enough to make a thourough analyse indeed. In Milano they really played well and even would have deserved a win concerning the late goal they conceded and even by the game history.
What I found out is that Slavia plays a very defensive style. Slavia's formation changes very quickly to a 5-4-1 system when the opponent attacks. What is obvious as well is that Slavia stands far deeper than e.g. Salzburg about 10-15 meters I would guess. This does not allow them to attack quickly and efficiently enough as they often have much more meters to run towards the opponent's goal as eg Salzburg (see my table of "offensive power" in the other thread). The advantage of this system is that they find very quickly to this 5-4-1 formation (less meters to run back!) and the opponent have severe difficulties to find a way through it. I would rate their defensiv abilities above average.
But all in all this CL season for Slavia was a successful one. And they will be an unwanted opponent in next year's CL qualies for all seeded teams in PO.
matt

Post by matt »

rrey1 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 23:33 Shakhtar will beat Atalanta easily in 2 weeks time.
They could have won at MC today, they seem to be gaining form.

Yes
International break hater
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

matt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 21:00
rrey1 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 23:33 Shakhtar will beat Atalanta easily in 2 weeks time.
They could have won at MC today, they seem to be gaining form.

Yes
:banana: :bouncy: :banana: :bouncy: :applause: :applause: :banana: :banana: :bouncy: :applause: :banana: :bouncy: :bouncy: :banana: :applause: :banana: :bouncy: :banana: :banana: :applause: :applause: :bouncy: :bouncy: :applause: :bouncy: :banana: