Coefficient calculation principles 21/22 onwards?

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Diouf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 17:57 I read it otherwise. D.3 says "The season coefficient of an association is calculated by adding up the points obtained by all its clubs in a given season". And the rules for how clubs obtain point i D.4 have the exception for the knockout round playoffs.
That is another way of reading it. However, why do they then mention that there are 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw in D.3. And don't mention the exception for the 1/16 finals?
kassiesa
Site Admin

Post by kassiesa »

The regulations are simply not clear. What I know is that the main design principles of the new points calculation are:
1) no change to Champions League points (the new competitions should have no effect on the Champions League),
2) the max points that can be obtained in the Europa League must be less than the max points that can be obtained in the Champions League and the max points that can be obtained in the Conference League must be less than the max points that can be obtained in the Europa League.

That's why they came up with the system of 38/34/30 points, I think. See https://kassiesa.net/uefa/calc.html. If you count the match points in the knock-off rounds towards the association coefficient then it would become 38/38/34. I would be surprised if that is true.

So, I don't think match points in knock-off rounds will be counted towards the association coefficient.
Teymur

Post by Teymur »

bert.kassies wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:02 Finally I got some details on the provisional coefficient calculation in the next season.

Match results (2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw) will be awarded from the group stage of CL, EL, and ECL onwards, with the exception of the knockout rounds for EL-R16 and ECL-R16. For the country coefficient matches in qualifying rounds are awarded with 1 points for a win, and 0.5 point for a draw.

Qualifying club points for elimation in:
ECL-Q1 = 1.0 point
ECL-Q2 = 1.5 points
ECL-Q3 = 2.0 points
ECL-Q4 = 2.5 points

Minimum club points for playing in:
ECL-GS = min 2.5 points
EL-GS = min 3.0 points

Bonus points (also count for country ranking):
CL-GS = 4 points
EL-GW = 4 points
EL-RU = 2 points
ECL-GW = 2 points
ECL-RU = 1 point

EL-KO en ECL-KO no bonus points, no match points

CL-R16 = 5 points
EL-R16 = 1 point

CL-QF = 1 point
EL-QF = 1 point

CL-SF = 1 point
EL-SF = 1 point
ECL-SF = 1 point

CL-F = 1 point
EL-F = 1 point
ECL-F = 1 point

Maximum number of points per club (may be deducted from the info above):
CL = 38 points
EL = 34 points
ECL = 30 points

This info was obtained from a reliable source but needs confirmation from UEFA.

Why in site UEFA write that?
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL, UECL)
https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations ... try/about/
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Teymur wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 18:11 Why in site UEFA write that?
This page has 4 bonus points for all EL-GS teams and 1 for 1/8 and QF of CoL. That is not listed in the regulations however: https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulation ... nts-Online

UEFA-articles tend to have mistakes more often, so this page is probaly written by someone who didn't read the regulations correctly.
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Teymur wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 18:11
bert.kassies wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:02 Finally I got some details on the provisional coefficient calculation in the next season.

Match results (2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw) will be awarded from the group stage of CL, EL, and ECL onwards, with the exception of the knockout rounds for EL-R16 and ECL-R16. For the country coefficient matches in qualifying rounds are awarded with 1 points for a win, and 0.5 point for a draw.

Qualifying club points for elimation in:
ECL-Q1 = 1.0 point
ECL-Q2 = 1.5 points
ECL-Q3 = 2.0 points
ECL-Q4 = 2.5 points

Minimum club points for playing in:
ECL-GS = min 2.5 points
EL-GS = min 3.0 points

Bonus points (also count for country ranking):
CL-GS = 4 points
EL-GW = 4 points
EL-RU = 2 points
ECL-GW = 2 points
ECL-RU = 1 point

EL-KO en ECL-KO no bonus points, no match points

CL-R16 = 5 points
EL-R16 = 1 point

CL-QF = 1 point
EL-QF = 1 point

CL-SF = 1 point
EL-SF = 1 point
ECL-SF = 1 point

CL-F = 1 point
EL-F = 1 point
ECL-F = 1 point

Maximum number of points per club (may be deducted from the info above):
CL = 38 points
EL = 34 points
ECL = 30 points

This info was obtained from a reliable source but needs confirmation from UEFA.

Why in site UEFA write that?
I think that page has some errors. It also has: "4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL, UEL)", which is wrong. The correct amount of points is in Annex D of the regulations, which resembles the points above.
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
Teymur

Post by Teymur »

Ok I agree with you.

About bonus points or no match points for country EL-KO and ECL-KO .
Country which is club play EL-KO and ECL-KO?

This means that 8 clubs CL and 16 clubs is EL and 8 clubs in ECL play two match without point for country.

I think it is nor fair for they country.
mieszambeton

Post by mieszambeton »

Personally I think ECL-GW = 2 points ECL-RU = 1 point should be removed. They benefit enough from weaker opponents. For example Roma could get 14 points in just GS. I would give 1 bonus point for CL 3rd place instead.
but noone cares about my opinion anyway :D
swisspower

Post by swisspower »

mieszambeton wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:21 Personally I think ECL-GW = 2 points ECL-RU = 1 point should be removed. They benefit enough from weaker opponents. For example Roma could get 14 points in just GS. I would give 1 bonus point for CL 3rd place instead.
I care and I think you are right. Right now, entering the Conference League as a experienced team like Basel is like hitting the jackpot. It's not balanced enough. But why change it if the reform changes anything again anyways?

Also, thanks for jinxing Roma. Please never use Basel as an example :grin1:
As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

I noticed Bert have included the results from the knockout playoffs (or whatever they call it) in the rankings and coefficients. Aren't they supposed to not be considered for that purpose?
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 23:40 I noticed Bert have included the results from the knockout playoffs (or whatever they call it) in the rankings and coefficients. Aren't they supposed to not be considered for that purpose?
The results of the knock-out-play-off round DO count for the country coefficient, but NOT for the club coefficient.
As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

Forza AZ wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 09:18 The results of the knock-out-play-off round DO count for the country coefficient, but NOT for the club coefficient.
That's quite unfair. Countries whose teams end their group in the first place get less points than those whose clubs end in 2nd. A country get 2 bonus points for each club qualifying for the ECL round of 16 in the first place of their group while another get 1 bonus point more 2 to 4 points (in a total between 3 to 5 points) to qualify to the same round after ending their group in the second place.
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 15:53
Forza AZ wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 09:18 The results of the knock-out-play-off round DO count for the country coefficient, but NOT for the club coefficient.
That's quite unfair. Countries whose teams end their group in the first place get less points than those whose clubs end in 2nd. A country get 2 bonus points for each club qualifying for the ECL round of 16 in the first place of their group while another get 1 bonus point more 2 to 4 points (in a total between 3 to 5 points) to qualify to the same round after ending their group in the second place.
Winning the group should yield a guaranteed coefficient benefit over finishing second. It's completely fair.
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

swisspower wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 09:46
mieszambeton wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:21 Personally I think ECL-GW = 2 points ECL-RU = 1 point should be removed. They benefit enough from weaker opponents. For example Roma could get 14 points in just GS. I would give 1 bonus point for CL 3rd place instead.
I care and I think you are right. Right now, entering the Conference League as a experienced team like Basel is like hitting the jackpot. It's not balanced enough. But why change it if the reform changes anything again anyways?

Also, thanks for jinxing Roma. Please never use Basel as an example :grin1:
They should just add a weighing for points based on the competition the points are won in.
1 for ECL, 2 for EL and 3 for CL.
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

I have a theoretical question. This is from the regulations of the 23/24 season:

Does the bonus points for group stage placement in UE(C)L count as being obtained in the group stage? I ask because it matters to the guaranteed minimum points of 3 and 2,5.

- If the bonus points are obtained in the group stage, then they would overwrite the guaranteed minimum points (3 and 2,5).

- If the bonus points aren't obtained in the group stage they would not affect the guaranteed minimum points.

This question doesn't matter for the 23/24 season, as it is impossble to recieve bonus points for group stage placement while also scoring less than 3 or 2,5 points from wins/draws. However, from the next season, this question might matter.
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

An example (very theoretical):

Molde win one match in UEL in the 24/25 season, but still end 24th. That will give them 2 points for the win and maybe 2 bonus points for the 24th place.

The question now is if they will recieve...

- 1 more point from the guranteed minimum (to achieve 3 points in total when excluding the 2 bonus points).
or
- 0 points from the guaranteed minimum because they have recieved 4 points in total (4 is above the guaranteed minimum of 3).