Danish Football Season 21/22

Domestic league and cup football
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Viborg in Europe, that's quite unexpected.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

matt wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 21:23 I hate these nonsense playoff games for the last european spot.
Second consecutive loss for AaB (after penalties) in a row, but this time they were the better team during the ten months of the league.
Ten minutes is worth more than ten months sometimes :dontknow:

And now with Denmark outside the top 15 of the UEFA ranking (probably at least for a couple of years) for Aalborg it will be even more difficult to reach european football.
This is probably the playoff game I have disliked the least. In 19/20 it was 3rd vs 7th as there was only 4 European spots and the Cup Winner finished low. Most of the other times it has been 4 vs 7. Here it 5th vs 7th, and it's between two teams which I think have performed fairly equally over the season. But yes, I would also still prefer a normal league without splitting up or playoffs.

And it does look fairly difficult for Aab. One must assume that FCK and FCM will take two European spots in almost all seasons. Brøndby should often also do enough to be favoured for a spot. And then it's tight between a whole lot of evenly matched sides.

Juliusz wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 21:29 It was unusual to see Aalborg GK taking the first penalty in the shoot-out. He missed, which might have been decisive (his teammates weren't any better though).
Yeah, I was surprised to see it as well. Rinne is known as the best keeper in the league with the ball at his feet, but it's not like he normally takes penalties or free kicks. The normal first choice penalty taker is Louka Prip, who shot second and missed as well.
I think they just had very few players who had either penalty taking experience or general Superliga playing-experience + being techically gifted.
Was a bit surprised to see the clumsy targetman Ementa shoot as well, but running through the names, there weren't many good options. Perhaps would have thought the wingbacks Ahlmann or Pallesen would have taken them.
Firnen wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 21:38 Viborg in Europe, that's quite unexpected.
Yeah, certainly looking it at before the season. As you can see in the first post, the two promoted teams had the worst odds of all 12 teams ( and the lowest player budgets) in the league before the league started, and now they are both going to play in Europe. But once you saw them play, it became less and less surprising to see both of them getting good results.

The positive thing for Denmark in Europe is that it hasn't been some crazy overperformance, where every shot went it and they were getting a lot of lucky small victories. Silkeborg has clearly been third best, and Viborg was basically one of a handful of teams on the same level behind the top 4. This was opposite to how it felt when Esbjerg finished 3rd in 18/19 (and relegated the next season). So the worry for Viborg + Silkeborg is not that they were lucky this year, and will be caught up by it next year. The worry is that their good players will get snatched, and they won't be able to replace them due to their low budgets, so that their real quality will decrease compared to this season.

To illustrate the quality, here are two xg tables from round 21 + 28. The providers stopped publishing them in recent weeks, but their work looks valid + it sounds like it matches how the numbers look in the professional xG tools when the expert commentators refer to those.

Round 21: Silkeborg equal with Brøndby in third + with a good distance to the fifth placed team. Viborg + the rest of the league, except SønderjyskE and Vejle fairly equal in quality.
https://twitter.com/tapinfodbold/status ... 71/photo/1

Round 28: Silkeborg clearly third best, and closer to FCM in 2nd than Brøndby in 4th. Viborg very close with OB as the best teams in the relegation group. Aab + Randers with some tougher games in the championship playoff, but their overall xg suggest that they were still around Viborg + OB in level. Nordsjælland not a million miles behind those four teams, but their horrible goalkeeping performances in the fall sunk them completely.
https://twitter.com/tapinfodbold/status ... 42/photo/1
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Official Superliga Team of the Year. Most of it looks right. The formation should have been presented as a 4-2-3-1, with Vallys, Biel and Prip behind Helenius. Thelander in central defence probably the most controversial choice. Names like Boilesen or Maxsø might have been more obvious.