Portuguese Football Season 2021/22

Domestic league and cup football
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

SimonB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52
angel_87 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 02:31
Phocea wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 22:48 MT : Belensenses 0-7 Benfica. Only 7 players for Belenenses at the start of the match.

There was nobody to have some decency to say "This match is a nonsense"?
simple question: couldn't the hosts ask the League or Federation to postpone the match?
when i saw 0-7 at the end of the first 45 minutes I couldn't believe my eyes ... :dontknow:
According to this article on the CNN website they did and were refused :roll:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/28/foot ... index.html
That is only half the true.
Yesterday morning, that worm called Rui Pedro Soares, B SAD owner, told he didn't asked for postponement because he had 38 players available that could present a competitive team. And he add "last season one team didn't accepted to postpone one match against Benfica".
You can see in his words where his heart really is.

Then later after the match he did that act (won't get any Oscar) with tears and whatsoever.
This is why portuguese football sucks. Its really a 3rd world country management.

Link (in portuguese) of his statement in the morning of the match:
https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/be ... 58929.html
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Benfica just got smashed by sporting, 1-3. Benfica was harmless during all match. Playing against 11 isn't easy.
ngfsmg

Post by ngfsmg »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 13:40
SimonB wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52
angel_87 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 02:31 simple question: couldn't the hosts ask the League or Federation to postpone the match?
when i saw 0-7 at the end of the first 45 minutes I couldn't believe my eyes ... :dontknow:
According to this article on the CNN website they did and were refused :roll:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/28/foot ... index.html
That is only half the true.
Yesterday morning, that worm called Rui Pedro Soares, B SAD owner, told he didn't asked for postponement because he had 38 players available that could present a competitive team. And he add "last season one team didn't accepted to postpone one match against Benfica".
You can see in his words where his heart really is.

Then later after the match he did that act (won't get any Oscar) with tears and whatsoever.
This is why portuguese football sucks. Its really a 3rd world country management.

Link (in portuguese) of his statement in the morning of the match:
https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/be ... 58929.html
Rui Pedro Soares did a nice theater, and now he wants the game to be replayed, yeah, right, and again with supporters, how convenient...
Still a better performance than what what we saw yesterday in Lisbon, no one could believe those guys in red were real footballers
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Portuguese Cup L16

Tondela (1) – Estoril (1), 3-1
Famalicão (1) – Portimonense (1), 1-1 (2-4 g.p.)
Leça (4) – Paredes (4), 1-1 (6-5 g.p.)
Casa Pia (2) – Sporting (1), 1-2
Mafra (2) – Moreirense (1), 3-1
Rio Ave (2) – Belenenses SAD (1), 1-1 (6-5 g.p.)
Vizela (1) – SC Braga (1), 1-0
FC Porto (1) – Benfica (1), 3-0
xavier_

Post by xavier_ »

Quite an unusual set of teams for the last 8.

While FC Porto and Sporting are no surprises, and Rio Ave are almost regulars (6th time at this stage in the past 10 Y) the rest are some unusual set of teams to see this late in the competition.
Interesting to see what the draw gives... Portimonense in theory are the 3rd strongest team left, could be a good chance for them to make some history.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Portuguese cup Quarter finals and Semi finals

Vizela (1) - FC Porto (1)
vs
Leça (4) - Sporting (1)

Rio Ave (2) - Tondela (1)
vs
Portimonense (1) - Mafra (2)
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

apparently Jorge Jesus (Benfica) is about to be sacked :dontknow:
https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2021-12-28/jor ... ino/919828
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

angel_87 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:34 apparently Jorge Jesus (Benfica) is about to be sacked :dontknow:
https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2021-12-28/jor ... ino/919828
Things with him weren't great. New president, former player Rui Costa doesn't like him and wanted to fire him as soon as possible, to make a break from him and past president who was arrested (he needs this because the only change was the president, whole directing board stayed the same with one or 2 exceptions).
Supporters were also getting tired of him and waved some white tissues to him. Only thing that prevented the sack was qualification to CL L16.

Meanwhile Flamengo has wanting him back. They travelled to Portugal and have meet him right before the Porto-Benfica to the cup. This made supporters and direction angry. There were leaks that Jorge Jesus had said yes to Flamengo but later in that day, his deputy coach said we would remain until the end of contract (end of season) and was focus, and Benfica said we was remain till the end.
Then they were hammered by Porto, and Flamengo owners were at the stadium.
On next days on the press there were news about Benfica talking with another coaches: Rui Costa talked to Andrea Pirlo but the other board members want a portuguese, with Paulo Fonseca on top.
Next day, boom Paulo Sousa is announced.
In the day after news report Jorge Jesus was devastated because Flamengo didn't wait for 30 december (Porto-Benfica match, for the league) while Flamengo said they weren't pleased with his hesitation while Paulo Sousa was very enthusiatic.
Now press says JJ will leave today and a caretaker managed today practice and will lead the team against Porto.

Maybe Polish FA want JJ for WC qualy :D
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

Paolo Sousa situation from polish standpoint explained in portugeese - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmLB6AVMQ8
xavier_

Post by xavier_ »

Some end of the year comments,

1. FC Porto 44 pts
2. Sporting 44 pts
3. Benfica 37 pts
4. Braga 31 pts
5. Estoril 25 pts
6. Portimonense 24 pts
7. Gil Vicente 23 pts
8. Vitoria Guimaraes 23 pts
9. Maritimo 17 pts
10. Pacos Ferreira 17 pts
11. Boavista 16 pts
12. Arouca 14 pts
13. Vizela 13 pts
14. Santa Clara 13 pts
15. Moreirense 12 pts
16. Tondela 12 pts
17. Famalicao 11 pts
18. B SAD 8 pts

FC Porto won again last night vs Benfica, this time for the League.

Now FC Porto and Sporting are 7pts ahead of Benfica. It was a year to forget for Benfica, not sure how the rest of the season will go for them. Jorge Jesus just left, and winning the league is looking like a mirage. There is still the CL vs Ajax, and the League Cup semi finals, probably their best hope for a consolation prize this season.

4th place, there is Braga. 31 pts, 6 from the CL Q spot. Braga is not strong enough to treat the CL spots, 4th place will be where they will end the season.

Then for the last two European Spots. This ones are much harder to predict. Estoril is currently 5th, they had a great start though in the last few games they have shown to have some debilities that could be crucial at the end of the season. Vitoria are always favorites for top5, but more than often they miss it. This year they are yet to impress, though the 5th (or 6th) are well within reach when you look at their squad and coach.
Then there are 2 dark horses in this race, Portimonense and Gil Vicente. The later, out of this 4 teams, are the ones playing the best but can they keep such results ?

Then, there is Boavista, Maritimo and Pacos Ferreira, the in between teams. I don't quite see them fighting for relegation nor for the European Spots, however a good sequence (or bad) of results could easily change that.

Then there is the relegation battles. Santa Clara, after a great season last year, are really struggling to find their feet. Already 3 coaches have passed though the Azores and a 4th one should arrive soon... Will they have the same fate as Rio Ave last season? They have a solid squad, but so did Rio Ave...
New comers Arouca and Vizela, are still uncertain to me. They have so far done an ok job, enough to keep them out the relegation zone... however I am not very confident that both will teams will avoid it at the end of the season.

Famalicao, much like Santa Clara, have quite a solid team but for some reason the results have been quite disappointing. It wouldn't surprise if they change coach soon - the so called magical fix.

Tondela and Moreirense, small town clubs they have been year after year defying expectations, and are now regulars teams in the I Liga. They are experienced enough in these battles, I think they will stay another year at the end.

Lastly, there is B SAD. Will the most disliked team of the League finally fall? Things aren't looking good at the moment, and I don't think much people will miss them.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Sporting wins League cup beating Benfica by 2-1 in the final. Benfica keeps playing close to nothing.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

A 2-2 in the match between the 2 top teams, keeps Porto 6 points ahead of Sporting. A match with 5 red cards and a big mess after final whistle.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I read today that Pepe may be suspended for 2 years as a result of that post-match mess. Firstly, he kicked a member of Sporting coaching staff and it is considered as act of violence in Portugal. What sounds unbelievable is that he was holding a bullet at his hand during the fight. Is it confirmed by the Portuguese media? For what reason he brought a bullet to the stadium?!
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Greyn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 15:49 I read today that Pepe may be suspended for 2 years as a result of that post-match mess. Firstly, he kicked a member of Sporting coaching staff and it is considered as act of violence in Portugal. What sounds unbelievable is that he was holding a bullet at his hand during the fight. Is it confirmed by the Portuguese media? For what reason he brought a bullet to the stadium?!
He didn't take the bullet to the stadium. The bullet was thrown into the pitch by a fc porto fan. When he saw it and realizing how bad that would be, he tried to hide it but sporting players saw and forced him to show it to the referee.

Complete article with all that the referee wrote in his report (use translator).
https://observador.pt/2022/02/14/o-pont ... -pinheiro/

Its just embarissing watching and reading this and knowing nothing serious will happen because football in untouchable.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Thanks for this article. Everything is clear now. It is good to have this forum, so I can find true and confirmed information.

I found that info on one of Polish sport dedicated site where almost everyone was already insulting Pepe in the comments below the article. Unfortunately this is the level of Polish journalism these days.