Welsh Premier League 2021-22!

Domestic league and cup football
seso

Post by seso »

Welsh Cup SFs:
Penybont - Bala Town 0-0 (5-3 penalties)
20 March: TNS vs Colwyn Bay (2)

Penybont FC qualified to the Cup final for the first time in its history! It has never qualified for European football.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

seso wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 16:46 Welsh Cup SFs:

Penybont FC qualified to the Cup final for the first time in its history! It has never qualified for European football.
A pity for them perhaps that the losing cup finalists no longer get a place as it is quite likely that they will need it. But good for one of the top league teams I suppose.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

SimonB wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 18:34
seso wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 16:46 Welsh Cup SFs:

A pity for them perhaps that the losing cup finalists no longer get a place as it is quite likely that they will need it. But good for one of the top league teams I suppose.
I just checked and noted where they are in the table :o

Perhaps they won't need this old rule after all then :)
seso

Post by seso »

Yes, Penybont was promoted in 2019.

Welsh Cup SFs:
TNS - Colwyn Bay 1-0

Amazingly, TNS reached the Cup final having only played against lower-division clubs!
seso

Post by seso »

Big away win for Penybont (after reaching the Cup final) against Newtown (1-2) and Penybont go second in the table.

Bala Town vs Caernarfon Town and Flint Town United vs Penybont on Friday and Saturday respectively!
seso

Post by seso »

First win this season for already-relegated Cefn Druids (against Cardiff MU) after 26 MDs!
Also, champions TNS lost at home to Newtown. Bala Town 2-0 Caernarfon Town and Flint Town United 1-0 Penybont, so Bala Town, Newtown and Penybont will battle until the end!
In the relegation battle, Haverfordwest County 0-0 Connah's Quay and Aberystwyth Town 2-1 Barry Town United, so Barry Town United is now in the relegation zone.
seso

Post by seso »

In Cymru South, Llantwit Major 1-1 Ammanford and Risca United 0-1 Pontypridd Town AFC, so Llantwit Major and Pontypridd Town AFC continue battling for promotion!
In Cymru North, Airbus UK will probably be promoted to Cymru Premier after two seasons in Cymru North.
seso

Post by seso »

Championship group:
Caernarfon Town 0-3 The New Saints, Newtown 2-1 Flint Town United and Penybont 0-5 Bala Town. Bala Town and Newtown will probably battle for the second position.

Relegation group:
Connah's Quay 1-0 Aberystwyth Town, Cardiff MU 3-2 Haverfordwest County and Barry Town United 1-0 Cefn Druids. Connah's Quay and Barry Town are equal on points in the relegation battle.
seso

Post by seso »

Championship group:
Bala Town 1-1 The New Saints and Penybont 0-2 Newtown, so Penybont is probably out of the battle for second position. It's a nice battle between Bala Town and Newtown!

Relegation group:
Barry Town United and Connah's Quay continue winning (Barry Town United 1-0 Cardiff MU, Cefn Druids 0-3 Connah's Quay) and they will battle until the end for survival! Aberystwyth Town also won (Haverfordwest County 0-1 Aberystwyth Town) and they try to keep a safe distance from Barry Town United and Connah's Quay.
Barry Town United vs Connah's Quay on Saturday!!
seso

Post by seso »

Cymru South:
Huge win for Llantwit Major away against 3rd-place Goytre United (2-4) and Llantwit Major is 5 points ahead of Pontypridd Town with 4 MDs remaining!

In Cymru North, Airbus UK beat 2nd-place Llandudno on Friday (1-0) and it is 8 points ahead (having played an extra match) with 4-5 MDs remaining.

Both clubs look good for promotion to Cymru Premier!
seso

Post by seso »

Bangor City withdrew from Cymru North, therefore Airbus UK is champion! It is promoted to Cymru Premier after two seasons in Cymru North. Its best finishing positions were runner-up in Cymru Premier in 2012–13 and 2013–14, and runner-up in the Welsh Cup in 2015-16.
seso

Post by seso »

Championship group of Cymru Premier:
Big wins for Bala Town and Newtown (Flint Town United 0-1 Bala Town, Newtown 1-0 Caernarfon Town). Also Penybont 1-2 The New Saints, so Bala Town or Newtown will get the second position! Penybont needs to win the Cup final (against TNS) to qualify for European football.

Big match in the relegation group now (Barry Town vs Connah's Quay)!
seso

Post by seso »

Huge away point for Connah's Quay Nomads against Barry Town United (1-1), despite playing with a man down for 45 minutes! Barry Town United remains in the relegation zone with 3 MDs remaining. Interestingly Connah's Quay hadn’t conceded a goal in the league since January!

In Cymru South, Llantwit Major 2-1 Cambrian & Clydach and Llantwit Major remains first, 5 points ahead of Pontypridd Town with 3 MDs remaining!
SolaVirtusNobilitat

Post by SolaVirtusNobilitat »

Is Declan McManus still rattling them in? I had noticed he scored quite a few in early European ties, and the first few months of the season but hadn't really paid attention since.

I'm interested as he was excellent for my side (Falkirk) a couple of years back.

(Please don't ask me how Falkirk are doing; I'll start crying :( )
seso

Post by seso »

SolaVirtusNobilitat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:57 Is Declan McManus still rattling them in? I had noticed he scored quite a few in early European ties, and the first few months of the season but hadn't really paid attention since.

I'm interested as he was excellent for my side (Falkirk) a couple of years back.

(Please don't ask me how Falkirk are doing; I'll start crying :( )
Yes, he is! He was top-scorer in the 2021-22 Welsh PL regular season (with TNS, 21 goals in 22 matches!).
He has mostly played for Scottish clubs in his career, plus for Fleetwood Town FC (England). He also was an U21 international for Scotland.