UEFA Euro 2024

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
dandeer

Post by dandeer »

Not all of them can of course. But I don't think we can say that they are all totally equal strength.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

dandeer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 22:43 Isn't constantly playing at the highest level (ie. semi-finals) better? In any case this is merely a question of taste.
Subject came up with me, would you rather be Italy and win Euro 2020 but miss two World Cups or be England, no win but runner up and two good World Cups. I'd rather be England. Wouldn't change all that much to make those penalties go in, but I enjoyed those World Cups and not only would that enjoyment be lost, but there'd be a lot of negativity from watching my team fail to qualify for two World Cups. Some people act like when their team gets knocked out that meant they wasted their time watching all those games, but I enjoy every win along the way, even if it's San Marino. I even enjoyed some of the failure to qualify for Euro 2008, that run of 3-0 wins was a lot of fun.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Lorric wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 15:07
dandeer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 22:43 Isn't constantly playing at the highest level (ie. semi-finals) better? In any case this is merely a question of taste.
Subject came up with me, would you rather be Italy and win Euro 2020 but miss two World Cups or be England, no win but runner up and two good World Cups. I'd rather be England. Wouldn't change all that much to make those penalties go in, but I enjoyed those World Cups and not only would that enjoyment be lost, but there'd be a lot of negativity from watching my team fail to qualify for two World Cups. Some people act like when their team gets knocked out that meant they wasted their time watching all those games, but I enjoy every win along the way, even if it's San Marino. I even enjoyed some of the failure to qualify for Euro 2008, that run of 3-0 wins was a lot of fun.
England vs Italy over the last 10 years (GS, R16, 4, 2, QF vs GS, QF, -, 1, -) is a close call. I can see people going either way.

England vs Germany (GS, R16, 4, 2, QF vs 1, 3, GS, R16, GS) I see an advantage to a German fan. If you only look at the last 6 years, advantage England.
Last edited by Sagy on Thu Dec 07, 2023 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Subject came up with me, would you rather be Italy and win Euro 2020 but miss two World Cups or be England, no win but runner up and two good World Cups. I'd rather be England.
Never. I'd for myself would never trade the 2002 to 2012 stretch the German team had, making the semi-finals almost every two years for the 2014 silverware. A few years from now, England's performance in the 2018, 2020 and 2022 tournaments will be long forgotten while everyone still remembers the 2018, 2020 and 2022 winners. After each tournament they hand out a trophy with the winner's name engraved for eternity. While even the runners-up are just the first amongst the loosers come a few years time.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
matt

Post by matt »

Do you prefer?

Option A: A girl (or whatever you like) invites you out three times to have breakfast in a bar at 7:30 a.m

Option B: A girl invites you out once to have dinner at her home on a Saturday night.

I love to have breakfast alone in silence, so i choose option B :grin1:
International break hater
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

matt wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 21:00 Do you prefer?

Option A: A girl (or whatever you like) invites you out three times to have breakfast in a bar at 7:30 a.m

Option B: A girl invites you out once to have dinner at her home on a Saturday night.

I love to have breakfast alone in silence, so i choose option B :grin1:
Only because it's more likely to end up in the bedroom! 😂
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

The 2nd is the first of the losers, the first team in the oblivion. History is made of winners, not losers, so winning is what matters, even if one time. Behind second every time mans nothing.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 21:34
The 2nd is the first of the losers, the first team in the oblivion. History is made of winners, not losers, so winning is what matters, even if one time. Behind second every time mans nothing.
I get this, if I was actually playing for England, I'd take the Italy scenario. But as a spectator, it's about me and my enjoyment. And I would get much more enjoyment out of the England scenario.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lorric wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 22:31

I get this, if I was actually playing for England, I'd take the Italy scenario. But as a spectator, it's about me and my enjoyment. And I would get much more enjoyment out of the England scenario.
What enjoyment do you get for losing?
England won once, in 1966, the WC. I watched Italy celebrating 1 WC and 1 Euro (more before I was born).
People remember Leicester because they won. Nottingham Forest will forever be in history, because they won. If they didn't, they would be on the footnotes.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 22:38
England won once, in 1966, the WC. I watched Italy celebrating 1 WC and 1 Euro (more before I was born).
People remember Leicester because they won. Nottingham Forest will forever be in history, because they won. If they didn't, they would be on the footnotes.
I don't enjoy losing. Though even a defeat can contain enjoyable events. But the Italy scenario, one loss gets turned into one win, but you have to take away many England wins to get it. In fact, let's just have a look... England won 7 games at those World Cups. All gone. Then you have to start turning wins into losses in order to make England fail to qualify for those two tournaments. Let's try and do this the most efficient way possible... If I turn a win each over Scotland and Slovakia into a loss, England finish 3rd in 2018 WCQ. 2022, I can do the same trick with Poland and Albania to make England finish 3rd.

So, I change history, and see one England win for the price of missing out on seeing England play 12 World Cup games, of which 7 were wins, and I have to watch England lose 4 qualifiers which they won.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lorric wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 01:21

I don't enjoy losing. Though even a defeat can contain enjoyable events. But the Italy scenario, one loss gets turned into one win, but you have to take away many England wins to get it. In fact, let's just have a look... England won 7 games at those World Cups. All gone. Then you have to start turning wins into losses in order to make England fail to qualify for those two tournaments. Let's try and do this the most efficient way possible... If I turn a win each over Scotland and Slovakia into a loss, England finish 3rd in 2018 WCQ. 2022, I can do the same trick with Poland and Albania to make England finish 3rd.

So, I change history, and see one England win for the price of missing out on seeing England play 12 World Cup games, of which 7 were wins, and I have to watch England lose 4 qualifiers which they won.
You completely lost me.
What the hell matters if you have more matches won than Italy? Italy has more silverware, more titles, more celebrating moments. You watched them celebrating twice or you are old enough, 3 times while England got nothing. Unless you make a victory over Slovakia or poland in qualifiers like a WC trophy, get them in an open bus over London, with crows in the streets, getting them received by the King, etc, etc, etc.
You can fake it, yes you can, but the others will know, history will know.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 01:43

You completely lost me.
What the hell matters if you have more matches won than Italy? Italy has more silverware, more titles, more celebrating moments. You watched them celebrating twice or you are old enough, 3 times while England got nothing. Unless you make a victory over Slovakia or poland in qualifiers like a WC trophy, get them in an open bus over London, with crows in the streets, getting them received by the King, etc, etc, etc.
It's simple really. Of course I would derive huge enjoyment out of winning a Euro. But overall I would get more enjoyment from having the things I got in real life vs having to lose them all to get it. The pleasure of watching England racking up wins and the excitement of watching England winning games and progressing through those World Cups, which in turn enhances watching the games not involving England over the humiliation of watching England bomb out in two qualifying campaigns and seeing two tournaments without England and the lessened interest in tournaments without England. I still enjoyed Euro 2008, but it's not the same. World Cup 2014 with England eliminated after 2 games really showed the difference it makes to me enjoying a tournament's other games if England are in vs out.

Let's take it to the extreme. Which would you prefer? Portugal to win Euro 2028, but lose every other game outside of that tournament from now until the 2030 World Cup is over, or Portugal to win every game over that same period except the final of every tournament?
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Lorric wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 02:11

You completely lost me.
It's simple really. Of course I would derive huge enjoyment out of winning a Euro. But overall I would get more enjoyment from having the things I got in real life vs having to lose them all to get it. The pleasure of watching England racking up wins and the excitement of watching England winning games and progressing through those World Cups, which in turn enhances watching the games not involving England over the humiliation of watching England bomb out in two qualifying campaigns and seeing two tournaments without England and the lessened interest in tournaments without England. I still enjoyed Euro 2008, but it's not the same. World Cup 2014 with England eliminated after 2 games really showed the difference it makes to me enjoying a tournament's other games if England are in vs out.

Let's take it to the extreme. Which would you prefer? Portugal to win Euro 2028, but lose every other game outside of that tournament from now until the 2030 World Cup is over, or Portugal to win every game over that same period except the final of every tournament?
Example from a different sport, only a perception. The two teams that are considered “losers” in the NFL are the two teams that made it to the Super Bowl 4 times and lost 4 times (Vikings and Bills). In some respects, losing the final repeatedly is worse for the fans and the legacy than not making to the final or losing the finals only once.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

You completely lost me.

No brainer
If you don't win its like you never been there at all.
All those victories has no value when you are talking about teams of top level.
So only getting the trophy matters. Give me a Euro/WC every 8 or 10 years and being in sofa all the other editions. Bring it on.
One match means anything per se, only one step to final victory, if there won't be final victory those victories were meaningless.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:14
You completely lost me.

No brainer
If you don't win its like you never been there at all.
All those victories has no value when you are talking about teams of top level.
So only getting the trophy matters. Give me a Euro/WC every 8 or 10 years and being in sofa all the other editions. Bring it on.
One match means anything per se, only one step to final victory, if there won't be final victory those victories were meaningless.
So do you have that feeling that you wasted your time when your team gets knocked out?