Spreadsheet for European Cups - Feedback & Suggestions

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

Metallica1989 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 20:49
eye wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 01:33 A new version of the spreadsheet spreadsheet is released today. The link is the same

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Since this is new version I will remind all the features here so you don't have to look at previous posts to find them out.

Why do Portugal have 5 clubs and Belgium 6 in the 2024-25 season?
Bonus points from qualifying from the group stage are not yet added to the spreadsheet so Belgium is top 2 in the one year ranking.
Deneverember

Post by Deneverember »

If I understand correctly, only maximum of 5 teams from each country can participate in the CL, EL, ECL series?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1446662404

Currently, six teams from Germany could start in the Champions League. (Leverkusen, Bayern, Stuttgart, Leipzig + Dortmund because yearly country ranking, + assuming Frankfurt wins EL.)
Despite the fact that Frankfurt would win EL, it does not start in EL, because does not fit into the five frame.

And what happen if Union Berlin would win the CL? In this case Union Berlin or the fifth team (currently Dortmund) would start next year in the CL?
What is the order according to the rule in that case more than five teams could start in CL? (CL win, EL win or yearly ranking)

If I understand correctly, only the minor leagues can take advantage of the CL extra three places, where only two teams are eligible to enter the CL? (champion and runner up + CL winner, EL winner and yearly country ranking)
Thanks!
eye

Post by eye »

@Deneverember For the current season there is a limit of max 5 clubs per country at CL. So if CL and EL winner are from the same top4 country and not at top4 of domestic league the 4th of league doesn't get CL spot.
Since next season a country can have 5 league spots for CL through league we can safely assume that the limit will be 6 or there will be no limit at all since it seems impossible both CL and EL winner to be from same country and not finish at top 5. Although we are still waiting for UEFA to confirm if there will be any limit.
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

Deneverember wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 If I understand correctly, only the minor leagues can take advantage of the CL extra three places, where only two teams are eligible to enter the CL? (champion and runner up + CL winner, EL winner and yearly country ranking)
Thanks!
What do you call "minor league"?
The current 4 extra CL spots would go to (if the league stopped right now)
Borussia Dortmund (top 2 coefficient)
Tottenham (top 2 coefficient)
Glasgow Rangers (league path - 55.000)
Galatasaray (champion path - 31.500)

Scotland and Turkey are currently 8th and 9th in the country ranking. Turkey was 12th last year.
In theory, France, Netherlands, Porrtugal, Belgium or Austria could get the league path spot with a good run in 23/24 and pass Rangers:
-Rennes or Marseille.
-Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord or AZ.
-Porto or Benfica.
-Brugge or Gent.
-FC Salzburg.

If Galatasaray doesn"t get it, he champion spot will go to a country ranked 11th or lower:
-Red Star.
-FC Basel.
-Shakhtar Donetsk.
-Slavia Praha.
-FC København.
-Dinamo Zagreb.

So the two TH spots will go to
-CLTH: country ranked 11th or lower (probably one of the team I listed) (instead of a spot for the country ranked 11th)
-ELTH: country ranked 5th-10th (probably one of the team I listed) (instead of a spot to the country ranked 5th)

The extra 4 spots are:
-2 to the top 2 performing league (probably top 4 countries)
-1 to the country ranked 5th
-1 in CL-ch qualification

So the top 5 gets 3 extra spots, the 6th-10th get a chance to skip the qualifiers and the 12th-lower get an extra spot + a chance to skip the qualifiers.
Deneverember

Post by Deneverember »

Overgame wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:50
Deneverember wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 If I understand correctly, only the minor leagues can take advantage of the CL extra three places, where only two teams are eligible to enter the CL? (champion and runner up + CL winner, EL winner and yearly country ranking)
Thanks!
What do you call "minor league"?
For me a minor league is meaning where from only one or two teams can start in the CL group or the CL qualifiers.
In the 24/25 season from 7 places to 55 places.( Portugal to San Marino)
eye

Post by eye »

A new tab called "Rebalancing Ranking 24/25" is added at the spreadsheet. At this tab you can see the ranking of clubs of CL and EL qualifiers for potential rebalancing no matter if it is needed or not. When it is needed the top club of list appear at green background color
eye

Post by eye »

emortal wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 13:17 @eye thank you for the spreadsheet, very handy (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =632987334).

For some reason I cannot select the language, it only shows up in Dutch, but that's not an issue.

The CL-W rebalancing table could be improved by including all high-ranked teams by associations where the champion doesn't qualify automatically, along with their respective position in the league.

A similar result could be achieved if there was a country filter on the club ranking.

I.e. currently PAOK is showing up top, but Zvezda has a higher ranking (40.000 vs 35.000) and is in second place in the Serbian league only trailing Partizan by one.
I am not sure what do you mean about language. Everything in the spreadsheet is in english. Can you upload an image so I can see where the problem is ?

Concerning the rebalancing tables. These tables are just to show which clubs are in contest to get the spot based on current standings at leagues. They exist in order someone can see eg why PAOK is currently getting the spot from the rebalancing of CL-W. To create big lists adding clubs that might not even fight for the spots cause they have either secured direct spot or they have slim or no chance to get the spot from league doesn't really help much. Actually is very simple to check for all clubs that might take the spot. Just locate the club that is getting the spot at club ranking tab (PAOK in the example) and all clubs that have higher coefficient than this club and are not from a top 5 country (top 4 for EL-W rebalancing) can get it.
emortal

Post by emortal »

eye wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 14:03 I am not sure what do you mean about language. Everything in the spreadsheet is in english. Can you upload an image so I can see where the problem is ?
I mean the web365 menus, etc.

https://pasteboard.co/RlRR0WliJYry.png

eye wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 14:03 Concerning the rebalancing tables. These tables are just to show which clubs are in contest to get the spot based on current standings at leagues. They exist in order someone can see eg why PAOK is currently getting the spot from the rebalancing of CL-W. To create big lists adding clubs that might not even fight for the spots cause they have either secured direct spot or they have slim or no chance to get the spot from league doesn't really help much. Actually is very simple to check for all clubs that might take the spot. Just locate the club that is getting the spot at club ranking tab (PAOK in the example) and all clubs that have higher coefficient than this club and are not from a top 5 country (top 4 for EL-W rebalancing) can get it.
It's actually all clubs not from a top10 country, still not as easy as having it in a table :)

For the moment, I have the following list:
Shakhtar Donetsk
Slavia Praha
FC Basel
FC København
Dinamo Zagreb
Red Star Belgrade

Anyway, if PAOK is still in it by April I may create a simple webpage to track all of the above leagues.
Shouldn't be so difficult.
eye

Post by eye »

emortal wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 14:33
eye wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 14:03 I am not sure what do you mean about language. Everything in the spreadsheet is in english. Can you upload an image so I can see where the problem is ?
I mean the web365 menus, etc.

https://pasteboard.co/RlRR0WliJYry.png

eye wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 14:03 Concerning the rebalancing tables. These tables are just to show which clubs are in contest to get the spot based on current standings at leagues. They exist in order someone can see eg why PAOK is currently getting the spot from the rebalancing of CL-W. To create big lists adding clubs that might not even fight for the spots cause they have either secured direct spot or they have slim or no chance to get the spot from league doesn't really help much. Actually is very simple to check for all clubs that might take the spot. Just locate the club that is getting the spot at club ranking tab (PAOK in the example) and all clubs that have higher coefficient than this club and are not from a top 5 country (top 4 for EL-W rebalancing) can get it.
It's actually all clubs not from a top10 country, still not as easy as having it in a table :)

For the moment, I have the following list:
Shakhtar Donetsk
Slavia Praha
FC Basel
FC København
Dinamo Zagreb
Red Star Belgrade

Anyway, if PAOK is still in it by April I may create a simple webpage to track all of the above leagues.
Shouldn't be so difficult.
The languge you see is your default language for the google sheets menu which you don't need it at all. You can change it if your wish if you go to file-settings. Probably you need to create a new document in order to do this since this spreadsheet is read only.

As for the rebalancing the top 10 have direct spots at doesn't take part at CL-W rebalancing but they might take part at other 2 rebalancing races if they don't win their league. Only top 4 countries doesn't take at any rebalancing. 5th country takes part only at EL-rebalancing race. I will have it in mind for a future update but at the moment I am waiting for the more info from UEFA concerning rebalancing rules before I make the update. Rebalancing of TH will be more complicated based on info we read from @bert.kassies and @dnina10
eye

Post by eye »

In few hours the first league that will award spots for the european competitions of 2025-2026 (league of Republic of Ireland) will start. So it is time for the first very version of new spreadsheet you come online. You can find it at the link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1671080203

The tables you see are based on the current situation and again the main principle is when a spot is unknown the club with highest coefficient will take it. This means that league standings of leagues that have not started are based on coefficients, domestic and european cup winners are the clubs with the highest coefficient amongst the clubs that are still at each competition and the club with highest coefficient in a tie will always qualify to next round of a european competition.

The whole rebalancing is based on the very limited official info we have from UEFA. For everything unknown the current rebalancing rules are applied which probably is not correct. Of course this will change when we get more info from UEFA but obviously priority for changes will be given to the spreadsheet for the current season. It is also assumed that coefficient system will remain same at least till league stage so counties are awarded points based on how many clubs are currently qualified at CL-LS and clubs are awarded the mimimum points they may earn based on the round they have qualified.

Note that clubs that appear taking part at competitions are not the ones that are currently taking part but the ones that are currently qualifying at next season's competitions. Another thing you also need to note is that remaining league matches might be different in case there will be different league format in some leagues.

The league standings normally will be updated within 10 mins after the end of each match and coefficients will be updated almost live during euoprean matches. Usually there is a delay of 1-2 mins at the spreadsheet for current season for live coefficients but at the new spreadsheet will be 1-2 mins more since it is retrieving data from the spreadsheet for current season.

It is too early to get much useful info from this spreadsheet and Current Status tab is probably the most useful at the moment to track the beginning of competitions and see which clubs are leaders at coefficients at each country (at leagues that have not started). Actually I noticed few interesting changes like Roma being the coefficient leader at Italy, and Barcelona being 4th based on coefficients in Spain
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Hi @eye, is 1. HNL not updating correctly in your EC 24-25 sheet? It has Dinamo as 2nd but they're currently third (even accounting for their match in hand).
eye

Post by eye »

Stadion wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 09:11 Hi @eye, is 1. HNL not updating correctly in your EC 24-25 sheet? It has Dinamo as 2nd but they're currently third (even accounting for their match in hand).
This was probably a mistake from livescore site. When I saw your message Dinamo was third so probably they have fixed it.
eye

Post by eye »

Both spreadsheets were updated based on the new rebalancing rules and the new coefficient system that UEFA let us know at the regulations for next season's competitions.
The only other change at both spreadsheets is the upgrade of the Rebalancing Ranking tabs where you can now see which clubs are fighting for each possible rebalancing spot due to each TH qualification to a competition domestically.
Eg at CL-W REBALANCING for CL-po you can see the ranking of clubs that may be promoted to CL-po due to CL-W rebalancing. If CL-W qualified domestically at CL-LP and replaced by a club from CL-po or CL-W qualified domestically at CL-po then the rebalancing takes place and number 1 in the order of clubs becomes green.
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Hi @eye -- FYI Bayer Leverkusen and Internazionale appear twice (instead of RB Leipzig and Roma) in the "Qualified Clubs 24/25" tab.
eye

Post by eye »

Stadion wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 03:05 Hi @eye -- FYI Bayer Leverkusen and Internazionale appear twice (instead of RB Leipzig and Roma) in the "Qualified Clubs 24/25" tab.
Thanks for noticing this. It is fixed now.