Austria - Football Season 2022/23

Domestic league and cup football
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Promotion is in Grazer's hands after both BW Linz and St.Polten dropped points.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

what a dramatic final round in 2. Liga. GAK for 86 mins already was promoted into BL but then events took a turn. BW Linz scored in 86th min the game winning goal (goal probabely was invalid because ball was not quite over the goal line - unfortunately no VAR - would have checked it out easily. After this Dornbirn scored the lead against GAK in 89th min. In 96 min GAK scored and Dornbirn GK was sent off too and Dornbirn could not replace him anymore but the "Reds" (in 2004 GAK played CL quali against FC Liverpool won away 0:1! but lost at home in first match 0:2) could not score one more goal. GAK wasted some good chances and was accompanied by about 2500 supporters from Graz - almost 600 km long travel).

BW Linz already champion 2 years ago could not promote to BL because of lack of a suitable stadium then. From July they will have a new stadium in Linz and they are very happy to be part of the highest league in AUT. They actually were the best team and could beat GAK away 0:3 and St. Pölten away 0:2 but bottled it against Horn at home with 0:1 two weeks ago while playing with one player more in 2nd half and wasting a penalty at the end and conceeding a late goal in this match too (Murphies law full in action!)
Admira saved itself by beating direct rival Vorwärts Steyr 3:0 and avoided the next relegation within one year. What was remarkable were about 5.200 visitors have watched this match (usually they attract 1.500 in average).
Rapid II and Young Violets are relegated to Regionalliga Ost and V. Steyr to RL Mitte

round 30
BW Linz - Sturm II 2:1 (0:1)
FC Dornbirn - GAK 1902 1:1 (0:0)
Admira - Steyr 3:0 (0:0)
First Vienna - Lafnitz 1:2
Amstetten - Horn 2.2
St. Pölten - Rapid II 1:0
Liefering - Young Violets 5:0
Kapfenberg - FAC Wien 0:3

krdel

Post by krdel »

It is about time to introduce the play-off for the second place. Congratulations also to BW Linz. The club is (as many do not know) actually the "nachfolger" of Austria Tabak Linz. Here you can read more about it if anyone is interested: https://www.oepb.at/allerlei/fc-blau-we ... -linz.html

Rapid II and Austria II relegated, finally we will have more normal clubs in the league. :banana:

Any interesting promotions from the third level?
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

BW Linz sees themself as the successor to Voest Linz which disappeared through the merger with LASK which left many Voest supporters back in sorrow and without club.
This year was the right one to promote for BWL. It's like a fairytale both with the inauguration of the new stadium.
Stripfing/Weiden winner of RL Ost might not get a license for 2. Liga but it's still open.
SW Bregenz on lake Constance will return to 2. Liga they won RL West.
Btw what does have SW Bregenz common with FC Minai from Ukraine?
same club colors? Located at the same latitude? well almost..
However both are exactly 596 km distance from Vienna what a coincidence!
DSV Leoben after promotion from Landesliga Steiermark last season probably will win RL Mitte this season too. On Friday they will host WAC Amateurs (they expect 6.000 supporters for this match) and if they can make 1 point only they would win the league ahead of LASK Amateurs. DSV has a long tradition (former Alpine Donawitz) and proclaimed a "Mission2028" until then at last they want to return to BL. Their club manager is Carsten Jancker.
Leoben is a smaller town in the mountainous center of Austria with a huge steel factory. It reminds me much to the places shown in the film "The Deer Hunter" in Pensylvania.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Austria - Football Season 2023/24

1. Round ÖFB Cup

Traditionally the Football Season in Austria does start with the Cup. Almost all 3rd and 4th liga clubs play at home against the big ones and enjoy a nice festival in their small towns or even villages. They often have been preparing their small stadiums for days to welcome their well known opponents. Often enough their limited places are overcrowded and not a few times too their amateur teams run into a hefty debacle against the big teams or even can offer a surprise. Some 10 thds of Euros income are a pleasant gift for the upcoming season.
SAK (Slowenischer AK) Klagenfurt vs Sturm Graz was such a special one.
"Cup-Schlager gegen Sturm Graz wird zum Volksfest mit Ćevapčići" (next day in the news).
The stadium speeker has welcomed the guests from Graz in a very friendly way bilingually (in German and Slovenian language) as it is usual there. This club is as well known for their tasty Ćevapčići with onions, ajvar and the "Bleder Cremeschnitten" cream cuts originated from Bled in Slovenia. Unfortunately the match had to be interrupted because of heavy rainfall for one hour but that couldn't take away from the good mood. After the match the players from Sturm gave autographs patiently and even had some words for their fans.
The club names might be unfamiliar for people outside Austria but maybe you can apply for a good job in Hohenems (World of Jobs) or you just start a revolution in Leoben :)
krdel

Post by krdel »

You posted some results twice. :grin1:

The funny thing is, čevapčiči is not even a Slovenian dish, they probably have it just for marketing purposes as something non-German and exotic. And what exactly is this revolution in Leoben? It is really an unusual name for a sponsor.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

yes some twice (copy/paste error between irritating commercials) here are the missing ones:
Favoritener AC - TSV Hartberg 2:3
ESV Parndorf - Drassburg 0:5
FC Marchfeld - SC Elin Weiz 1:1
TWL Elektra - SKN St. Pölten 0:3
SC Imst - SW Bregenz 2:0

so all in all 8 teams from Vienna (Austria, Rapid, First Vienna FC, FavAC, FAC, Donaufeld, Elektra and FV Austria XIII) and 3 from Klagenfurt (Austria, ASK and the Ćevapčići one SAK :wink: )
btw Ćevapčići is rather for eating as snacks but Red Bull Cans are for marketing.
"Revolution" is a trading company with Gold and so on, maybe a bit windy.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Martin Hintergger analyzed the title race 2023/24 in Bundesliga
The fight for the title is more exciting than ever. Because with Sturm and LASK we have two contenders who want to teach Salzburg even more to fear this time. But I'm not sure if it's enough for the big surprise.

Salzburg
My EX-Club mustn't weaken this year because Sturm and LASK will be on the Bulls' pelt. - but I fully trust them to defend the title again. Okafor left to Milan now but I don't see this fact so dramatic. As a coach I would rather like to earn a lot of money with this transfer and get Fernando fit again in return. Namely he will be that difference player! I think it's good that Andi Ulmer has already been told that this will be his last season. On the other hand no other player has managed to play him out on the left back in all these years. Newcomer Terzic will not be able to do that either. I think at the end of the championship they won't let Andi go after all because he's making huge 'exclamation marks' again.

Sturm Graz
This season will show whether sports director Andi Schicker and coach Christian Ilzer are really top. Because confirming a season like the last one is the most difficult thing in football. With Ilzer it will therefore be seen whether he will take an incredible path as a manager in the future - or not. Meanwhile Schicker absolutely has to replace Emegha and manage to strengthen the team selectively in such a way that at the end there are just 7 points more on the account than last season. Then you can fully attack Salzburg.

LASK
The positive thing for Neo-Coach Thomas Sageder: He won't have a difficult time in Linz. As he is a protégé of Oli Glasner and will therefore play a similar style - the style that people in Linz still fully trust, that they still have inside and that once brought them very successful times. The start with Rapid, Sturm and BW Linz will be tough but the new stadium will be full twice. If LASK starts well it will be a fantastic season because like Sturm they smell blood.

Rapid Wien
Being Rapid and only targeting the top 6 is a bit worrying. But it will be ultimately just what is possible. After a season that was anything but cool the Hütteldorfer will waste away again and somehow try to get into international business. Nothing has been done according transfers and the financial bottlenecks will not be easy to get over.

Austria Wien
The Violets have to keep a sniper like Haris Tabakovic that would be extremely important. Then you will see a step forward. Coach Michi Wimmer is very professional and knows what he is talking about and is also great as a person. He can now take the squad to the next level - that's what is expected from him. I therefore see much more potential for improvement with Austria than with Rapid.

The odds for title:
Salzburg 1,17; Sturm 5,0; LASK 16; Rapid 25; Austria 25

other remarks: In Rapid's Allianz Arena there is the best lawn nowadays and Austria Lustenau has the most fashionable dresses. I am already curious what vote will be the next.
Rapid is still the most popular Club in Austria and Salzburg the most friendly one (last season's vote)
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

As I understand Matthias Jaissle has also decided to take Saudi money. Who will be next Salzburg' coach?
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

anty1975 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:35 As I understand Matthias Jaissle has also decided to take Saudi money. Who will be next Salzburg' coach?
Jaissle has a contract until 2025 and no exit clause in it. Thus a double-digit million amount transfer compensation is the deal. Gerhard Struber (NY Red Bulls) Oliver Glasner and Ralph Hasenhüttel are amongst successors.
krdel

Post by krdel »

Club-Mate wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:58 My EX-Club
EX-club? :grin1:

I have not seen al the kits, but if Austria Lustenau is the nicest... For me Austria Klagenfurt has the best ones, even the sponsor fits nicely.
Rapid is still the most popular Club in Austria and Salzburg the most friendly one (last season's vote)
Do you have the exact numbers for that? And what is meant with "friendly"?

Edit: I was looking at the wrong kit for Austria Lustenau. I admit the new one is nice:
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

krdel wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 16:10
Club-Mate wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:58 My EX-Club
EX-club? :grin1:
It's a quote from Hinteregger.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

this analyzing of teams I translatet 1:1 from Hinteregger it was published in Krone Zeitung print this week.

a fashion designer has rated all the teams's kits.
Some statements from him:
Austria Lustenau: (8 stars out of 10) the landmarks in darker tone bring life to it. Noble collar, overall consistent
Austria Klagenfurt: (only 3 stars) the white stripes on the shoulder are questionable, better than some opponents.
Blau Weiss Linz: 6 stars - the indicated stripes are top, touch from the 80s.
LASK: 2 stars - deductions for yellow sleeves and broken stripes.
Sturm: 3 stars - looks a bit like it was thrown on - everything stays where it lands
Rapid 8 stars and second best design

in German it said. "Rapid ist immer noch der populärste Club in Österreich und Salzburg der sympatischste. sympatisch = friendly. There was no list of it in newspaper just these words. I remember these words well but it was about a year ago.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

This survey is published each year from VdF. It is the voice of all footballers working in Austria.
1) punctuality of the payment of salaries
2) clarity of contracts
3) continued wage payments in the event of injuries
4) information exchange management & team
5) image of the club
6) medical care within the club
7) adequate equipment
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Austria's Bundesliga celebrated its premiere on August 9th 1974 with the opening match of LASK vs Rapid 2:1. This league then started with 10 clubs (down from 16) - 2 clubs from Vienna and just one club for each other Bundesland or "province" - what a kinda derogatory word. Viennese people use this word "Provinzler" only in rare cases against all other Austrians not being Viennese. But as often in such cases they don't mean it literally you have to understand them rather. There is a saying here: Wien ist anders! - Vienna is different!.
So this season will be the 50th and it started again with LASK vs Rapid 1:1 on Friday.
So far 6 Clubs won Bundesliga:
17 x Salzburg (Austria resp. Red Bull)
14 x Austria Wien
7 x Rapid and Wacker Innsbruck resp. FC Tirol
3 x Sturm Graz
1 x GAK
Andi Ulmer (RBS) won 14 titles and Otto Baric as a coach 5 titles. 41 goals Hans Krankl scored in 1977/78. Only 3 clubs (Austria Wien, Rapid and Sturm) have partizipated over all these years.

Round 1
LASK - Rapid 1:1 (0:1)
WAC - BW Linz 2:1 (1:0)
WSG Tirol - A. Klagenfurt 1:3 (0:1)
Hartberg - A. Lustenau 2:2 (1:0)
SCR Altach - RB Salzburg 0:2 (0:1)
Austria Wien - Sturm 0:3 (0:2)

A successful start for Rapid in Linz. In an intense match Rapid is the stronger team from the start.The Viennese played refreshingly and proactive and almost won this match if not Luckeneder from LASK equalized late in OT. On both sides the VAR disallowed one more goal.
Sturm Graz showed clearly the limits for Austria Wien. They were the stronger team from the start and put pressure on with high speed and direct passes. Gazibegovic scored the first goal with a shot from 16m.
Austria weakened itself through a red card still in 1st half and against only ten players Wlodarczyk increased the score to 2-0 with his debut goal in the Bundesliga. The final point was set by Affengruber with a nice header.
Some former Liefering/Salzburg players from Sturm are showing strong performances for longer time already and are in focus of intl clubs. Recently Sturm sold Emegha to AC Milan.
RB Salzburg beat Altach away 0:2 with good opportunities on both sides.
A. Klagenfurt could beat WSG Tirol clearly 1:3 away and WAC seems to have a good young squad this year after last year's modest performance. They beat newcomer BW Linz clearer then the result (2:1) would show.
Next weekend "Provinzderby" Austria Klagenfurt - WAC