Portuguese football season 2022/23

Domestic league and cup football
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

mspm89 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 15:42 According to Wikipedia, H2H away goals are a criterion for tiebreak, so I thought Benfica had it won and a draw vs Santa Clara would mean mathematical certainty.
When UEFA changed the Away goals rule, they also did the same here in Portugal, so now the H2H Away Goals don't count as a tiebreak (and if they counted Porto had scored 2 away against 1 of Benfica, so Porto would have had the advantage this season).

And as expected Benfica reaches the 35th title (38th in their cheat counting - I don't count the first 4 experimental leagues as champion titles). I guess they deserved it this season as they were by far the best team. Porto finished 2 points behind, but they didn't look that strong, many factors contributed to strange additional points they have....
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Last decisions on Portuguese football:
Estrela da Amadora just won the playoff against Marítimo and is back to Primeira Liga 14 years later (after bankruptcy, starting from scratch, merging with another club etc).

They defeated Marítimo in penalties (home wins by 2-1). Marítimo last appearance in 2nd Division was in 1984-85, and they played EL playoff in 2017-18.

In the 2nd League playoff, also the team from the tier below won, Vilaverdense (first time in 2nd tier). B SAD (former Belenenses) relegated to Liga 3. Funny thing Belenenses club "divorced" from Belenenses professional entity, started from scratch (7th tier) and they clinched this season the promotion to 2nd tier, so B SAD-Belenenses won't happen.
Also B SAD will take name (and move) of Cova da Piedade, another club that club associates regreted selling shares of professional football to an investor. There is a lot of this case of clubs starting from scratch either because they don't go along with the investor, or most cases, it was just money laundry and professional team went bankrupt.