ECL matchday 5

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

bugylibicska wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:06 Much maligned Sivasspor qualified!
Yes, almost a miracle despite this very weak group. I thought it was all over for them after the home loss vs Ballkani on MD3.
They managed to get in form just in time (they won 2-0 at Basaksehir two weeks ago and they are in much better shape today)

If Cluj defeat Ballkani at home, Sivasspor will even win the group. Otherwise, they will need a result in Prague.
Black Eagles 1903
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

bjkman1903 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:16
bugylibicska wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:06 Much maligned Sivasspor qualified!
Yes, almost a miracle despite this very weak group. I thought it was all over for them after the home loss vs Ballkani on MD3.
They managed to get in form just in time (they won 2-0 at Basaksehir two weeks ago and they are in much better shape today)

If Cluj defeat Ballkani at home, Sivasspor will even win the group. Otherwise, they will need a result in Prague.
What happened against Fiorentina :( I am surprised they won. They are not a good team.
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:24 What happened against Fiorentina :( I am surprised they won. They are not a good team.
No, they are not.
But as I feared, Basaksehir were just happy with the result as long as they avoided a heavy defeat. They did the bare minimum in Italy, probaby counting on a possible win at home against Hearts to secure 1st place.
Black Eagles 1903
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

bjkman1903 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:29
Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:24 What happened against Fiorentina :( I am surprised they won. They are not a good team.
No, they are not.
But as I feared, Basaksehir were just happy with the result as long as they avoided a heavy defeat. They did the bare minimum in Italy, probaby counting on a possible win at home against Hearts to secure 1st place.
There's no doubt they will beat Hearts, Hearts are struggling badly with injuries and even with the first team would probably lose. My hope was you would win and not have to try next week tho so Hearts could get another point or 3 and go out adding to Scotland's (and there own) Coefficient

I thought the games at Tynecastle would have been tighter tbh because Hearts usually make a game of it against Celtic and Rangers (see the previous game as an example)
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

From all the small countries clubs, the ones still with hopes are Zalgiris and Pyunik, which was expected given their Group.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:41
bjkman1903 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:29
No, they are not.
There's no doubt they will beat Hearts, Hearts are struggling badly with injuries and even with the first team would probably lose. My hope was you would win and not have to try next week tho so Hearts could get another point or 3 and go out adding to Scotland's (and there own) Coefficient

I thought the games at Tynecastle would have been tighter tbh because Hearts usually make a game of it against Celtic and Rangers (see the previous game as an example)
I watched the highlights of that days ago, I definitely recommend others do so. Looked like a crazy game, which Celtic won 3-4.
seso

Post by seso »

Hearts eliminated; terrible week and season for Scotland.

West Ham dominating their group.

Great match and result by Shamrock Rovers!
Djurgårdens IF from Pot 4 qualifies to ECL-L16, ahead of Molde and Gent! Gent vs Molde on MD6!

Would be nice to see Slovan Bratislava qualifying to the next phase.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Hearts did pretty much as expected in that group. Beat the minnows, easily second best to two superior sides. That's the luck of the draw. It could be a useful learning experience if they return to Europe next season.

Of Scotland's three group stage teams, two had bad draws, and one seems to need a billion shots to get one goal in Europe this season. These things happen. Just dust yourself down and go again next season. (And there's still 3 games worth of coefficient to fight for.)
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

West Ham are spending a fortune on referees this season :grin1:

Actually, although the penalty was rather soft it was probably correct and wouldn't have been overturned by VAR. The goalkeeper could probably have avoided the risk and not made a challenge at all.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Slovacko - Koln 0-0 at HT.
naaba

Post by naaba »

Michael S Collins wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:10 (And there's still 3 games worth of coefficient to fight for.)
I always wonder if the club/coach/players know (I think so though) and care about it.
seso

Post by seso »

I read that "cologne" (the perfume) got this name because it was first made by Johann Maria Farina in Cologne in 1709!
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Ondrej Duda (I know him quite well as he is a former Legia player) just wasted one-on-one chance vs Slovacko GK.

Penalty Koln!

Converted. 0-1. Slovacko are in big troubles now.
seso

Post by seso »

Greyn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 14:30 Converted. 0-1. Slovacko are in big troubles now.
And it looks great for 1. FC Köln; they play Nice at home in the last MD.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Koln with a brilliant chance to score the 2nd one, but a shot from 3(!) meters is saved by the GK.

Slovacko with a immediate response, a header from... again 3 meteres I think went over the bar. Offside flag was up anyway.

5 minutes of added time.