Seeding for UEFA Club Competitions 2023/24

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
amenina

Post by amenina »

West Ham United, as title holders of ECL, are automatically the top seed in EL-GS draw and will be in Pot 1.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulation ... ing-Online
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

amenina wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 23:04 West Ham United, as title holders of ECL, are automatically the top seed in EL-GS draw and will be in Pot 1.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulation ... ing-Online
Last year they didn't need the regulations to put Roma as top seed. But they have the magical 'principles set by the Club Competitions Committee' wildcard which allowed them to do it anyway :banana: :confused: :dontknow:

I know it didn't make any difference, because they would have been in pot 1 anyway. Just the matter of following the rules or not.
matt

Post by matt »

West Ham
Liverpool
Ajax
Roma
Villarreal
Bayer Leverkusen
Atalanta
Sporting

The projected pot 1 of the EL 2023-2024 looks very strong. Only teams from the top 7 leagues, no teams like Olympiakos, Crvena Zvezda, Braga and Dinamo Kyiv.
Anyway, DInamo Zagreb and Rangers would be above Sporting, so they might end up in pot 1 if they fail in the CL qualifiers.
International break hater
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

It'll be an unusual season for England. Eight teams, and Chelsea and Tottenham are not among them.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

It's nice to see a non-big six club pile up a score, they normally can't do it. 50.000 and more to come for West Ham! :bouncy:
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Firnen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 22:29 Austria Lustenau eliminates Wolfsberger in the Austrian Play-Offs, which means that Legia Warsaw is seeded in ECLQ3.
Austria Lustenau scored the equaliser vs Wolfsberger in the very last action of the match after a corner kick and then a decisive goal in the ET. :mol:
abzpablo

Post by abzpablo »

Greetings from Aberdeen, back in European football after a year's hiatus - when Hearts (who have done nothing in Europe for over a decade) benefited from the new format at our expense.

3rd place and Celtic winning the league and cup, means we will be in the ELPO. Very unclear who will face - seems Lugano is the only firm possibility amongst around 17 permutations.

I wonder if it doesn't even make sense to lose this tie (which is likely anyway) - as plundering points, prize money and ranking points seems slightly easier in the Conference unless anything has changed this season, with some champions of very low-ranked nations dropping in there.
soyderedstarbelgrade

Post by soyderedstarbelgrade »

abzpablo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 13:32 Greetings from Aberdeen, back in European football after a year's hiatus - when Hearts (who have done nothing in Europe for over a decade) benefited from the new format at our expense.

3rd place and Celtic winning the league and cup, means we will be in the ELPO. Very unclear who will face - seems Lugano is the only firm possibility amongst around 17 permutations.

I wonder if it doesn't even make sense to lose this tie (which is likely anyway) - as plundering points, prize money and ranking points seems slightly easier in the Conference unless anything has changed this season, with some champions of very low-ranked nations dropping in there.
Congratulations to Aberdeen! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Europe :up:
Volim je do ludila
abzpablo

Post by abzpablo »

soyderedstarbelgrade wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 13:39
Cheers Crvena Zvedza - now that's a trip I would like one day as I have never visited Belgrade yet - and it looks great from a football and non-football experience.

Still have memories of your beautiful 90/91 side smashing (the former) rangers and confusing the whole of Europe with strange defensive tactics in the final, when you were like Brazil 1970 in the previous rounds !
soyderedstarbelgrade

Post by soyderedstarbelgrade »

abzpablo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 14:05
soyderedstarbelgrade wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 13:39
Cheers Crvena Zvedza - now that's a trip I would like one day as I have never visited Belgrade yet - and it looks great from a football and non-football experience.

Still have memories of your beautiful 90/91 side smashing (the former) rangers and confusing the whole of Europe with strange defensive tactics in the final, when you were like Brazil 1970 in the previous rounds !
You are welcome in Belgrade! It's not the right place to talk about this but I will briefly explain it. Our coach back then, Ljupko Petrović, decided to surprise Marseille by giving them the ball, defending and hence preventing them from running in the counter attacks since they had some seriously fast players. He explained it later like this: "I was thinking and thinking and chose the variant in which we close the approaches to our goal and play decadently in the block, for the result. Before I decided that, I asked the players in the base: "Do you want to play nice or do you want to raise the cup?" It echoed from all sides: "Let's be champions of Europe! - If that's the case, just listen to me now and you'll never have to again!""
Volim je do ludila
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

abzpablo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 13:32 Greetings from Aberdeen, back in European football after a year's hiatus - when Hearts (who have done nothing in Europe for over a decade) benefited from the new format at our expense.

For medium sized teams that are pot 2 or 1 in ECL it might make sense to lose on purpose in EL PO, but not for a team like Aberdeen - EL is about twice the money and guaranteed 3 points
kenzel

Post by kenzel »

I think this is the easiest version of CL-NC Q2 stage ever. Genk, Dnipro, Servette, Pana.. Very unbalanced Europe season [in terms of UEFA coefficients] we are going to see next year. Most of higher coefficent clubs ended up on ECL positions in domestic championships. For example, relatively easy 3rd pot in CL, tough as hell 1st pot in EL and also 37.500 is ECL's 1st pot border [it was 21.000 last year]. Potential Juventus - Aston Villa tie in ECL-Q-PO..
amenina

Post by amenina »

CL-GS:
Feyenoord in Pot 1.
Inter in Pot 2.
Shakhtar in Pot 3.
naaba

Post by naaba »

kenzel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 17:49 I think this is the easiest version of CL-NC Q2 stage ever.
Technically, yes. Average coefficient for this CL-NC Q2 is 9.345

There were only 5 CL-NC Q2 before though :
2022 : 21.250
2021 : 21.333
2020 : 25.745
2019 : 42.125
2018 : 40.142

Year after year the average coefficient of this round has decreased. Makes you wonder. But the teams involved this year, despite having a low coefficient, they have a "name" :

- Genk participated in 3 CL-GS, played EL-QF 6 years ago
- Dnipro was a finalist of Europa League. I know "officially" SC Dnipro-1 isn't Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk but we all know it's the same soul
- Panathinaikos haven't done anything "OKish" since 2010, but based on history only they are the "biggest club" here
- Servette is the real minnow here. They benefited from the Basel crash

Everyone expects the 2 winners of this round to be easy preys (along with Backa Topola and Sturm Graz) for the seeded teams next round (Rangers, Braga, PSV, Marseille). Let's see if we can have a surprise out of the 4.
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

New season starts on June 13 with draw for preliminary rounds.