2022/23 UEFA Europa League Semi-Finals

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Having said that, I hope Mourinho gets the EL title for Roma, a much more meritory achievement for them than the ECL. I'm sick of Sevilla.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

fabiomh wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 23:14
mspm89 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 23:11
fabiomh wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 23:08
And he got them with non top teams
So Inter (in 2010) and Manchester United are non-top. LOL.
Inter yes, non top team.
ManUtd, my fault, I forgot it. I was remembering Porto, Inter and Roma. You cannot consider them as in the Top 10 in these last 20 years
La Grande Inter were a top team in the 60's under Helenio Herrera the father of "catenaccio". They've won 2 EC(CL) titles in a row with their best player Sandro Mazzola. Inter of 2010 with Mourinho never reached that level. As of MU, they're just a joke since Ferguson left. How could be a team fighting for 4th place in the EPL or playing in the EL be called top? Sevilla were never a top team and won the EL numerous times. They could be called a top team during the Ferguson years, yes.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Sevilla v Roma 2.60 3.10 2.87

Roma 1.91 Sevilla 1.91

i'm surprised to see them with the same odds. I've thought Sevilla are clear favourites.
naaba

Post by naaba »

mspm89 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 02:55 Having said that, I hope Mourinho gets the EL title for Roma, a much more meritory achievement for them than the ECL. I'm sick of Sevilla.
If Roma wins it that would be like a video game where the player has to win 2 levels before reaching the final one : Champions League. AS Roma will obviously not make it via the League so it's their only shot.

And Mourinho winning back to back C3-C1 then C4-C3 would be quite an achievement. 20 years apart.
offside

Post by offside »

I watched the Bayer Leverkusen - AS Roma match.
The football proposed by Mourinho was kind of boring.
Wirtz needed a proper striker to score on his assists.
I wonder if the local fans hurt the team with those fireworks.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Peak Mou football. :)

But I have to say: if someone has success with this and gets the outcome he wants, it's understandable to do it this way. It's not forbidden and part of football. He knows that Leverkusen would have loved to get an open game in 1st and 2nd leg. Leverkusen are indeed in a good shape, but it's obvious that Schick is missing. They had a lot of 0-0's recently in the Bundesliga. At Union, at Wolfsburg etc.

Currently they are on the 7th place, which would be the ECL spot if Leipzig wins the German cup. I expect them to end up 6th and then they would play EL group stage, unless Eintracht wins the cup, then it's ECL too. With the opponents Fiorentina got, they would be easily in the ECL final as well, so it could be a good chance to finally collect a lot of points there. With Köln and Union in their first European season, we had two underdogs with a bad coefficient and therefore tricky groups. With a pot 1 team you have nothing to fear, at least in the group stage. Later you can always get a big league team of course, even Villarreal have played in this competition.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

Lubomir25 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 00:49
fabiomh wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 00:19
Lubomir25 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 00:17

Do you know the last team to beat Real in a European final?
Aberdeen?
Sure was, 40th anniversary this year
I remember very well despite 40 years; I was discussing about this final with my best friend just some days before.
Of course everybody knows Real Madrid and he was thinking that Real was favourite, probably because of course everybody knows Real Madrid, but not so obvious that everybody knew Aberdeen in 1983 in Italy.
I predicted and told him that in my opinion Aberdeen was the favourite.
I was right :banana: :D
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

BurningStorm wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 08:33 Peak Mou football. :)

perfect Mou manifesto!

I love Guardiola 2009-2011 Barca play style. I don't like Mou play style.
But I have to admit that in certain environments (expecially in low structured clubs, where his ego can do the best show) he is the best coach to win some throphy - whatever it takes.
For many fans the final result is not important; that's the only thing that matters.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

So this is perfect Mourinho. So who was Roma manager in the first leg, because Roma had more shots and more shots on target. Maybe it was Rainieri while Mourinho was watching tennis.

His plays the way he think he needs to beat the rival and don't care about being called "ugly" nor he goes with "we lost but ee kept our identity".
And knows what? Even Guardiola with the best squad I ever seen, isn't afraid anymore to play ugly at defense like he did at Metropolitano. Nor Ancelotti is afraid of that.
A coach career is dictated by results. When you have less resources you just have to play harder and take advantage of every tools you have (like Morroco in WC).
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

But I have to say: if someone has success with this and gets the outcome he wants, it's understandable to do it this way. It's not forbidden and part of football. He knows that Leverkusen would have loved to get an open game in 1st and 2nd leg. Leverkusen are indeed in a good shape, but it's obvious that Schick is missing. They had a lot of 0-0's recently in the Bundesliga. At Union, at Wolfsburg etc.

Currently they are on the 7th place, which would be the ECL spot if Leipzig wins the German cup. I expect them to end up 6th and then they would play EL group stage, unless Eintracht wins the cup, then it's ECL too. With the opponents Fiorentina got, they would be easily in the ECL final as well, so it could be a good chance to finally collect a lot of points there. With Köln and Union in their first European season, we had two underdogs with a bad coefficient and therefore tricky groups. With a pot 1 team you have nothing to fear, at least in the group stage. Later you can always get a big league team of course, even Villarreal have played in this competition.
That's a pathetic xg for 22 shots.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bugylibicska wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 05:06 Sevilla v Roma 2.60 3.10 2.87

Roma 1.91 Sevilla 1.91

i'm surprised to see them with the same odds. I've thought Sevilla are clear favourites.
Roma's run winning the ECL last year and then through to the final here along with Mourinho's record in European finals might have a lot to do with it.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

"Quien no ha visto Sevilla, no ha visto maravilla." :grin1: :applause: :applause: :applause:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

So the final will be the team who never loses in the final vs. the manager who never loses in the final.

One record will stay and one will be lost.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

Lorric wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:51

That's a pathetic xg for 22 shots.
The xg of Roma seems worst.
LEV 1.01 / 22 = 0.05
ROM 0.03 / 1 = 0.03

Anyway, if I understood something about xG, this means that Leverkusen could have likely won 1-0.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The Leverksen-Roma result, scoreline and stats are on character for both Leverkusen as a club and Mourinho.