English Football 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

bugylibicska wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 17:37
rpo.castro wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 13:04
bugylibicska wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 08:05 Is Moyes a West Ham hero?

"Do West Ham fans really believe they deserve better?"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 7b68&ei=28
"Football is about right now". Recent results aren't good, but no one outside West Ham expects them to outperform last seasons. Do they?
I think it'll be a hard ask to repeat or outperform Moyes. Nobody understands their fans what they mean to play on the West Ham way.

That link is broken for me, but West Ham have traditionally played expansive, attacking football. Managers who follow that blueprint, such as Harry Redknapp, are popular there. Pragmatists like Moyes and Allardyce are very much not. West Ham's self image is based around the likes of Bobby Moore, the "Academy of Football" tag and so on. A substantial proportion of the West Ham support would rather they played in a more attacking manner even if it meant a lower league position. There's only so much of having 30% possession and hoping Bowen can do something on the break people can watch. Especially when its in an athletics stadium with dreadful sightlines, which has a fraction of the atmosphere of Upton Park.
No to Superleague
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Liverpool would now need two slip ups in four games from Arsenal, and two in five from City. The bookmakers offer 33/1 but I'd make it 100.

Arsenal's goal difference puts things on a knife edge. Barring an 8 goal swing in four fixtures, even a draw for City would put Arsenal back in the driving seat.
No to Superleague
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Oldelpaso wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:28
rpo.castro wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 13:04
"Football is about right now". Recent results aren't good, but no one outside West Ham expects them to outperform last seasons. Do they?
I think it'll be a hard ask to repeat or outperform Moyes. Nobody understands their fans what they mean to play on the West Ham way.

That link is broken for me, but West Ham have traditionally played expansive, attacking football. Managers who follow that blueprint, such as Harry Redknapp, are popular there. Pragmatists like Moyes and Allardyce are very much not. West Ham's self image is based around the likes of Bobby Moore, the "Academy of Football" tag and so on. A substantial proportion of the West Ham support would rather they played in a more attacking manner even if it meant a lower league position. There's only so much of having 30% possession and hoping Bowen can do something on the break people can watch. Especially when its in an athletics stadium with dreadful sightlines, which has a fraction of the atmosphere of Upton Park.
I couldn't follow English football in the time of Bobby Moore, in Hungary Italy were No.1 and France a distant 2nd. I remember when Ferguson said: I've never understood what is the West Ham way. Yeah, it's not much fun watching your team parking the bus and outshot by 32:1 like happened in Leverkusen, but there is no doubt David Moyes has overseen one of the most successful eras in the club's modern history over the past four years. Three consecutive years in Europe - a club record. Two top-seven finishes in the Premier League. Silverware for the first time since 1980. It has been a wonderful time since he returned in 2020. His win percentage of 45.81% makes him the most successful manager in the club's history, eclipsing the 43.6% achieved by Billy Bonds in the early 1990s.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bugylibicska wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:59

I couldn't follow English football in the time of Bobby Moore, in Hungary Italy were No.1 and France a distant 2nd. I remember when Ferguson said: I've never understood what is the West Ham way. Yeah, it's not much fun watching your team parking the bus and outshot by 32:1 like happened in Leverkusen, but there is no doubt David Moyes has overseen one of the most successful eras in the club's modern history over the past four years. Three consecutive years in Europe - a club record. Two top-seven finishes in the Premier League. Silverware for the first time since 1980. It has been a wonderful time since he returned in 2020. His win percentage of 45.81% makes him the most successful manager in the club's history, eclipsing the 43.6% achieved by Billy Bonds in the early 1990s.
This is an often discussed topic in the comments sections of West Ham matches on the BBC if you want to see how the West Ham fans feel. Of course some of them are behind Moyes, but a lot want him gone, and for a good number it is about not liking the brand of football. Plenty though also think the team would do better under a new manager.

I don't watch West Ham in the Premier League, but I've enjoyed their performances in Europe very much. I hope they keep Moyes.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

I understand these debates, since it was something that went on when I was a kid. My first introduction to the idea that there were different ways to play football were the debates when Peter Reid was City manager. He guided the club to back to back top 6 finishes, but the football was dogshit. Long ball to human lighthouse Niall Quinn, who would knock it down to speedster David White. His replacement, the unheralded Brian Horton, was far more popular despite bottom half finishes. This pieceabout a 5-2 win over Spurs covers it well.

Maybe I should do a post about the traditional playstyles of English clubs.
No to Superleague
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 17:23
bugylibicska wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:59

This is an often discussed topic in the comments sections of West Ham matches on the BBC if you want to see how the West Ham fans feel. Of course some of them are behind Moyes, but a lot want him gone, and for a good number it is about not liking the brand of football. Plenty though also think the team would do better under a new manager.

I don't watch West Ham in the Premier League, but I've enjoyed their performances in Europe very much. I hope they keep Moyes.
I wonder if his gruff demeanor contributes to his unpopularity?
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Oldelpaso wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 21:39
bugylibicska wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 19:54 Matt Le Tissier - Footballing Genius

One of my all time favourite footballer in England.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 7638&ei=25
He was a talent and one of the last one club men that never went to a bigger club. Shame he's turned into a conspiracy weirdo these days.
I'd no knowledge about his later life, but I've seen an interview with him and he came across as a sympathetic, witty guy who was screwed by Hoddle. Hoddle looks more of a wacko nowadays and I remember the scandal after he employed fortune tellers when in charge of England. It could be a case for Le Tissier that the world condemns those who don't play the game. I think we don't know what really happened in Wuhan or Bucha, and conspiracy theories usually thrive on the lack of definitive evidence. The Western world is going through a kind of cultural revolution, we can talk about everything, but the truth. And I have no trust in the media.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

bugylibicska wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 02:34
Oldelpaso wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 21:39
bugylibicska wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 19:54 Matt Le Tissier - Footballing Genius

One of my all time favourite footballer in England.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 7638&ei=25
He was a talent and one of the last one club men that never went to a bigger club. Shame he's turned into a conspiracy weirdo these days.
I'd no knowledge about his later life, but I've seen an interview with him and he came across as a sympathetic, witty guy who was screwed by Hoddle. Hoddle looks more of a wacko nowadays and I remember the scandal after he employed fortune tellers when in charge of England. It could be a case for Le Tissier that the world condemns those who don't play the game. I think we don't know what really happened in Wuhan or Bucha, and conspiracy theories usually thrive on the lack of definitive evidence. The Western world is going through a kind of cultural revolution, we can talk about everything, but the truth. And I have no trust in the media.
Yep, well said. I've never read Le Tissier say anything wacky on Twitter, he just doesn't have the "correct" mainstream opinions.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

The hammers are leading at HT!!! Id love to see them in Europe again but their schedule is rough.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Unfortunate.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Bulgarian wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 15:00 Unfortunate.
Not over yet, 2-2...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Finished 2-2. Klopp is going out with a whimper.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Newcastle on the road to Europe! 4:1 after 66 minutes against Sheffield United! :applause:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Firnen wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 23:52 Meanwhile, Sheffield United is trying to break Swindon's record for most goals conceded in a season.
3 goals away!

Meanwhile Burnley gets 1 point against ETH's circus, and they have to play Newcastle and Tottenham now. They need at least a win, because Forest plays Sheffield United.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Looks like 30ish pts will be enough this year to survive unlike the coveted 40 from previous years.