Turkish Football Season 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Firnen wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 20:57
bjkman1903 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 14:25 Main signings so far :

Galatasaray: Angeliño (Leipzig), Mauro Icardi (PSG), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)
Galatasaray is splashing some serious cash. Did they get a money injection from a sponsor or the owner started to invest even more?
They started to invest a lot of money but payments are long-term.
For instance, they will pay 15m€ to Roma for Zaniolo but that's divided in 5 equal amounts. So it "only" costs them 3m€ per year.

Sponsors did inject money as well - in Icardi's case, his salary is 10m€ per season. Galatasaray will pay 60% and the rest by its sponsor.

That's still a serious investment for Turkish standards. They probably hope to reach CL GS at any cost. That's also why they didn't sell anyone from their main team.
Black Eagles 1903
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

UEFA Champions League PO round draw :

KÍ Klaksvík (FRO) / Molde (NOR) vs Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) / Galatasaray (TUR)

UEFA Europa Conference League PO round draw :

Aris Thessaloniki FC (GRE) / FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs Beşiktaş JK (TUR) / Neftçi PFK (AZE)
Olympiacos FC (GRE) / KRC Genk (BEL) vs Adana Demirspor (TUR) / NK Osijek (CRO)
Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) / NK Maribor (SVN) vs FC Twente (NED) / Riga FC (LVA)

----

Galatasaray was once again very lucky with the draw. It's one of the easiest path to CL ever, and I would be surprised if they don't make it to CL group stage. If they fail against these opponents, then they simply don't belong to CL and it's not a big issue for Turkey.

Fenerbahçe was unlucky this time as their potential opponent Twente was one of the strongest unseeded teams alongside Osasuna and Besiktas.
It will be harder, but not impossible. Twente are not Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord nor AZ Alkmaar and they weren't impressive against Hammarby.
Chances are around 55-45 for Fenerbahçe in my opinion.

Beşiktaş did avoid Lille and Gent, so were thus lucky.
Viktoria Plzen was my first choice but Dynamo Kyiv is another good option for us.
I have bad memories with Dynamo Kyiv but they are no longer the team they used to be.
Chances are around 60-40 for Besiktas in my opinion.

Adana Demirspor would have been underdogs against anyone for their first European participation ever, and considering other options (like for instance Aston Villa), they can be considered lucky as well.
I would be surprised if they make it until group stage, but the task is not impossible.
Both Genk (losing against Servette) and Olympiakos (losing against Maccabi Haifa and winning after penalty kicks against Slovan Bratislava / Apollon Limassol last season) were far from being impressive recently.
Chances are around 35-65 for Adana Demirspor in my opinion.

Turkey need at least one of Fenerbahçe or Besiktas to make it to group stage in order to score decent points this season.
Black Eagles 1903
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

naaba wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:23 I just read about Oxlade-Chamberlain in Besiktas. It seems like the Istanbul clubs are back at transferring big names ?

What's the overall football situation in Türkiye ? Because I mainly recall of salaries being paid late, if not at all. Or fixed matchs causing European bans.

Is it going to be a long-term transfer politics or could it crash again ? After all the country went as low as 20th on the 2022 ranking...

I think Galatasaray will make it to the group stage quite easily thanks to the draws. But if their luck runs out and they fall in a group with Manchester City, Real Madrid and AC Milan they'll be a 0-0-6 candidate.
Yes, Istanbul clubs are targeting big names again but in a slightly different way than a few years ago.

Some transfers are done with the help of sponsors (like Icardi at Galatasaray) or are just opportunities (Oxlade-Chamberlain is a free agent, Besiktas want to get Pepe from Arsenal for free, etc.)
They are mostly younger than before (around 30 y.o) and with Saudi Arabia around the corner, at least they don't come to Turkey just for money.
Turkey isn't a pre-retirement destination anymore.

Salaries are paid on time since the clubs did notice that players weren't motivated on the pitch when they weren't paid.
Match-fixing ban only happened once around 10 years ago. The other bans were related to Financial Fair-Play.
Currently, big teams follow UEFA's advises and manage to stay within the rules of FFP so it's less likely that they get another ban again.

Of course it could crash again, but I don't see it happening in the short-term because transfers are wiser this time.
Galatasaray paid 15m€ for Zaniolo, but they will likely get a nice benefit when they sell him for instance.

Another thing that changed is the mentality. Turkish teams are aware now of the importance of the coefficient points - it started after Turkey lost its direct access to CL group stage. I can see almost after every matchday an article about this subject on Turkish media.
Most transfers are finalized as soon as possible so they are ready for qualifiers and the start of the league. And not on the last days of the transfer window because players were cheaper.
They keep their best players too and don't sell it when they get a good offer.
In Galatasaray's case, they aim to win a European cup within a few years. Of course that won't be CL, but it's not impossible in Conference League for instance.

In a group with Man City, Milan and Real Madrid many teams will be a 0-0-6 candidate, not just Galatasaray. ;-)
Black Eagles 1903
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

1) The league starts tonight with Trabzonspor - Antalyaspor game.

2) Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe started fast and strong in terms of transfer. Beşiktaş, on the other hand, has not been able to make the transfers that satisfy its fans so far. As every year, the league's biggest favorites are Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas.Especially Galatasaray says "all-in". However, the most reliable coach for the league race is Şenol Güneş, the head of Beşiktaş.

2a) In the past, very costly squads were formed in Turkey, but this never guaranteed success. In fact, failing -despite expensive squads- led the clubs to inextricable financial difficulties in recent years. As a result, I can say that if Galatasaray, the club that spends the most money, cannot participate in the champions league, it will be in very difficult situations financially.

2b) Fenerbahce, on the other hand, somehow survives thanks to the rich club president. The easiest way out so far is to have the president's companies sponsor the club.

2c)I cannot say a bad word to Beşiktaş about this issue because they are not in a fair race at the moment.

3)Başakşehir, Trabzonspor and Adana Demirspor are also the most important candidates to participate in the European cups next year.

3a) However, I can say that Trabzonspor -due to the loss of some financial support- could not make such expensive transfers as before.
3b) Adana Demirspor may face a similar situation in the coming years. Because their success also depends on the club president's wallet.
3c) Artificial Başakşehir, on the other hand, can be said to have survived a rapid extinction for at least one more year, maybe 5 years.

4) The league will be played with 20 teams this year. Because of the earthquake, Hatayspor and Gaziantepspor's relegation in last year was prevented. At the end of the year 4 teams will be relegated to a lower league.

5) There are 8 Istanbul clubs among 20 teams in first division, it means less away trip for them. Six clubs will play their home match in Europe, 14 clubs will play in Asia.

Bjkman had mentioned transfers before in this topic, if it is need to update;

Galatasaray: Tete (Shaktar Donetsk), Kerem Demirbay (B. Leverkusen), M. Icardi (PSG), Cedric Bakambu (Al Nasr), Wilfred Zaha (C. Palace), Angelino (Leipzig), Kaan Ayhan (Sassuolo), Halil Dervisoglu (Brentford) - There is not an important leaving

Fenerbahçe: R. Becao (Udinese), E. Dzeko (Inter), D. Tadic (Ajax), Ryan Kent (G. Rangers), S. Szymanski (D. Moscow), A. Djiku (Strasbourg), Mert Müldür (Sassuolo)----------------- Enner Valencia, Arda Güler, Atilla Szalai, J. Pedro and D. Rossi left the team.
Also, Cengiz Ünder (Marseille) and Fred (M. United) are expected to be announced tomorrow.

Beşiktaş: Ante Rebic (Milan), Jean Onana (Lens), Daniel Amartey (Leicester City) -------------- Roman Saiss left the team and Nathan Redmond's loan ended.

Trabzonspor: Mislav Orsic (Southampton), Filip Benkovic (Udinese), Joaquín Fernández (Valladolid), Dimitrios Kourbelis (Panathinaikos) ------------------- Marc Bartra left the team.

Başakşehir: Dimitrios Pelkas (Hull City), Piatek (H. Berlin)

Adana Demirspor: 37 y.o. Nani (Melbourne Victory), Andreaw Gravillon (Reims), Cherif Ndiaye (SH Port)

Its very early but here is my prediction:
1)Galatasaray
2)Beşiktaş
3)Fenerbahçe
4)Başakşehir
5)Trabzonspor
6)Adana Demirspor
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Jua Ferreira wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 19:21 Its very early but here is my prediction:
1)Galatasaray
2)Beşiktaş
3)Fenerbahçe
4)Başakşehir
5)Trabzonspor
6)Adana Demirspor
For me that would be :

1) Galatasaray
2) Fenerbahçe
3) Besiktas
4) Trabzonspor
5) Adana Demirspor
6) Basaksehir

Fener & Gala fighting for the title, the rest for European spots (3/4th place)

I don't expect Besiktas (or anyone else) to challenge Galatasaray & Fener when there is such a gap in team values
Fener = 2x Besiktas; Galatasaray = 2,5x Besiktas
https://www.transfermarkt.com/super-lig ... bewerb/TR1

Besiktas don't have a proper bench and that would be costly especially if we continue in Europe.
I don't imagine what would happen for instance is Aboubakar is out for a few months.
Black Eagles 1903
NederPAOKtzis

Post by NederPAOKtzis »

Wow: Kayseri manages to keep a clean sheet against Gala: 0-0, so this is good news for Fener!
PAOK is not a club. PAOK is a cultural phenomenon.
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

NederPAOKtzis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 22:52 Wow: Kayseri manages to keep a clean sheet against Gala: 0-0, so this is good news for Fener!
Not a good start from Galatasaray, they can't seem to find their rythm without Lucas Torreira (who is currently injured).
Icardi and Zaha started on the bench, they would need some time to be fit.

Next week's Galatasaray v Trabzonspor might be interesting.
Black Eagles 1903
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

So Besiktas are dipping into the English market again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66502507

Picking up Oxlade-Chamberlain. So how do I think this one will go? I'm not as confident as with Redmond, but that's nothing to with Oxlade-Chamberlain's attitude, you just don't know with an injury hampered player who's seen little game time, both because of this and being a midfielder in a team with such a strong midfield. I haven't been able to pay attention to performances in recent times, but he always seemed to be a player who when brought back in the team after absences because of the strength of the midfield would come into the games like he'd been playing every week, no drop off. Professional. Didn't moan about being out of the team either afaik.

As for his attitude, it's always been a plus for him imo and I would expect no problems. His wage of a little under 50K Euros a week with potential 10K a match performance bonus is a really large drop on what he'll have been earning previously, which speaks well for him, seems like he wants to get back on the pitch and rebuild his career.

I remember for the England youth teams, he would come in and really tear it up. Looked a level above just about everyone else when he was out there. He has few youth caps because his rise into the senior team was so rapid. The Oxlade-Chamberlain I know is a significantly better player than Redmond, and at the same age as Redmond, 29, should still be in his prime, so if injuries don't hamper him, I think you'll really enjoy having him. :smile1:
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Lorric wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 19:43 So Besiktas are dipping into the English market again:

Picking up Oxlade-Chamberlain. So how do I think this one will go? I'm not as confident as with Redmond, but that's nothing to with Oxlade-Chamberlain's attitude, you just don't know with an injury hampered player who's seen little game time, both because of this and being a midfielder in a team with such a strong midfield. I haven't been able to pay attention to performances in recent times, but he always seemed to be a player who when brought back in the team after absences because of the strength of the midfield would come into the games like he'd been playing every week, no drop off. Professional. Didn't moan about being out of the team either afaik.

As for his attitude, it's always been a plus for him imo and I would expect no problems. His wage of a little under 50K Euros a week with potential 10K a match performance bonus is a really large drop on what he'll have been earning previously, which speaks well for him, seems like he wants to get back on the pitch and rebuild his career.

I remember for the England youth teams, he would come in and really tear it up. Looked a level above just about everyone else when he was out there. He has few youth caps because his rise into the senior team was so rapid. The Oxlade-Chamberlain I know is a significantly better player than Redmond, and at the same age as Redmond, 29, should still be in his prime, so if injuries don't hamper him, I think you'll really enjoy having him. :smile1:
Thanks for your feedback @Lorric :)

I don't know what to think about this transfer yet.
It's risky when you know that the player missed many matches because of injuries, but on the other hand we needed that type of player in midfield.

Dele Alli's transfer was a failure, whereas Redmond was great (I still remember his legendary performance against Fenerbahçe)

Hopefully we won't regret this. :smile1:
Black Eagles 1903
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bjkman1903 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 09:57
Lorric wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 19:43 So Besiktas are dipping into the English market again:

Thanks for your feedback @Lorric :)

I don't know what to think about this transfer yet.
It's risky when you know that the player missed many matches because of injuries, but on the other hand we needed that type of player in midfield.

Dele Alli's transfer was a failure, whereas Redmond was great (I still remember his legendary performance against Fenerbahçe)

Hopefully we won't regret this. :smile1:
You're welcome. :smile1:

He might need a run of games to get up to speed, but if he gets it, I'd expect good things.
--staradam--

Post by --staradam-- »

bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

UEFA Champions League PO round :

Molde (NOR) vs Galatasaray (TUR)

UEFA Europa Conference League PO round:

FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
KRC Genk (BEL) vs Adana Demirspor (TUR)
Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) vs FC Twente (NED)
Black Eagles 1903
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

We have come to the two most critical weeks for Turkey. I wish league matches were postponed on the weekend. Especially Adana Demirspor has a low squad depth.

If luck is on our side, all 3 of our teams can join the groups in the Conference League. If luck is not on our side, all 3 of our teams can be eliminated.

I wouldn't be upset if Galatasaray were eliminated by Molde, because they can score serious points in the Europa League. however, being deprived of champions league income may push Galatasaray into financial problems.

My guess:

Galatasaray 75-25 Molde
Beşiktaş 60-40 D. Kiev
Fenerbahçe 51-49 Twente
ADS 35 - 65 Genk
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Jua Ferreira wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 23:00 We have come to the two most critical weeks for Turkey. I wish league matches were postponed on the weekend. Especially Adana Demirspor has a low squad depth.
It would make sense indeed as this is probably the most important round of the season for Turkey.
On top of that, Adana Demirspor and Besiktas play each other between Kiev and Genk matches.
Black Eagles 1903