LaLiga 2023-2024 (First Division)

Domestic league and cup football
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Jornada 26 starts :arrow:

Fri. Feb. 23 2100 Real Sociedad 1, Villarreal 3 At 17', Comesaña heads in a header from Albiol--0-1. And it's still 0-1 at the half. At 47', Comesaña scores his second of the game--0-2; assist by Pacheco. 30,609 on hand. At 86', it's game on, as Merino puts in a rebound to put la Real on the scoreboard--1-2. At 95', Sorloth makes the final score 1-3 for the Yellow Submarine.

Sat. 24 Feb. :arrow:

1400 Granada-Valencia POSTPONED.

1615 Barça 4, Getafe 0 At 20', Raphinha scores on the break to give Barça the lead--1-0. And still 1-0 at the half. At 53', Joao Félix makes it 2-0. At 61', De Jong makes it 3-0. 36,803 reported in the Lluis Companys. At 91', Fermín López puts in a rebound--4-0.

1830 Alavés 1, Mallorca 1 Scoreless first half. 16,102 reported on hand. At 76', Benavídez breaks the ice, and the home team leads 1-0. At 88', Nastasic ties it for Mallorca--1-1. And that's the final.

2100 Almería 2, Atlético 2 Winless Almería is not likely to break their winless streak here :!: And already at 2, Angel Correa puts Atleti on the scoreboard--0-1. At 27, Luka Romero scores for Almería--1-1, and . . . is there hope for the home team :?: Halftime. At 57', Rodrigo de Paul scores on a solo job to give Atleti the lead--1-2. Would you believe it :question: Luka Romero scores his second ever goal in the big show to tie once more for Almería--2-2. 14,,472 reported on hand. And they tie :!:

Sun. 25 Feb. :arrow:

1400 Cádiz 2, Celta 2 Can Cádiz get a much-needed win :?: At 11', Aspas gives Celta the lead, shooting from the top of the area--0-1. And thus it stands at the half . . . keep in mind that Cádiz hasn't scored in a proverbial month of Sundays . . . At 58', Swedberg makes it 0-2 for Celta. 18,1123 reported in the Nuevo Mirandilla. Whoa :!: At 66', Juanmi makes it game on for Cádiz, as he scores the first goal for Cádiz in what seems like forever--1-2. At 100', Darwin Machís ties it for Cádiz with an absolutely wonderful goal from the outer corner of the area--2-2 the final.

1615 Betis- 3, Athletic 1 A priori, this is surely the game of the day. At 13', Chimy Avila, on the break, gives Betis the lead--1-0. At 38', it's 2-0, as Wililan José's shot bounces off Yuri and goes in. At 45'+7', Guruzeta heads in for Athletic--2-1 at the half. 53,537 on hand in the Benito Villamarín. Addendum: Nico Willaims of Athletic saw a red card at 45' + 7'--I think. At 67', it's 3-1 as Johnny scores for Betis. Assist by Nabil Fekir.

1830 Las Palmas 1, Osasuna 1 Scoreless at halftime. At 49', Unai García puts in a WONDERFUL volley--0-1 for the visitors. But at 52', Kirian counters with a wonder-volley for Las Palmas, and Osasuna's lead lasts only three minutes. And 1-1 is the final.

2100 Real Madrid 1, Sevilla 0 Scoreless first half. 74,969 on hand. At 55', whatta saave by the Sevilla goalie :!: Change of árbitros at about 60', due to bleeding spot on leg of principal ref. At 81', Modrik, just in, breaks the ice and el Real takes the lead--1-0. And Modrik's strike is the winner :!:

Lun. 26 Feb. 2100 Girona 3, Rayo 0 Girona is a huge favorite in this game. Scoreless first half in Montilivi on a rainy night in Girona. 8,923 intrepid souls braving the rain in Montilivi. At 52', Tsygankov gives Girona the lead--1-0. At 76', Chavarría of Rayo sees a second yellow card. At 91' and again at 95', Savinho scores to make the final 3-0, and Girona is back in second place.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Jornada 26 is not quite complete, due to the postponement of the Granada-Valencia game; bearing that in mind, here are The Top and The Drop :arrow:

1. Real Madrid-------------65 points
2. Girona-----------------59
3. Barça------------------57
4. Atlético----------------52
---------------------------------
5. Athletic----------------49
6 Betis-------------------42
7. Real Soc.---------------40
18. Cádiz-----------------18
19. Granada---------------14 One game in hand.
20. Almería----------------9 Still winless :!:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Girona still going strong! Bravo!!! :up: :applause:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Jornada 27 begins :arrow:

Fri. 1 March 2100 Celta 1, Almería 0 Celta, three points above the drop, hosts "haven't won yet" Almería. At 20', Bamba gives Celta the lead--or does he :?: No, a late offside call disallows the goal. And the first half ends scoreless. 18,005 in Balaídos. At 65', Bruno Langa of Almería sees a red card. At 73', Oscar Mingueza scores from beyond the half moon--1-0; great goal :!: And that great goal proves to be the winner :!:

Sat. 2 March :arrow:

1400 Sevilla 3, Real Sociedad 2 La Real comes off elimination from the Copa del Rey. At 11', En-Nesyri puts in a rebound--1-0. And two minutes later, En-Nesyri scores from a very tough angle to make it 2-0. At 45'+5', André Silva puts la Real on the board, as he converts a pk after Sergio Ramos commits a handball in the area--2-1 at the half. 35,884 reported on hand. At 66', it's 3-1 :arrow: after a corner, Oliver Torres assists Sergio Ramos, who scores. At 92', Brais Méndez scores for la Real with a free kick--3-2 with four minutes left in added time. And 3-2 is the final.

1615 Rayo 1, Cádiz 1 Rayo, 7 points above the drop, hosts top of the drop Cádiz. Scoreless first half in Vallecas. 12,272 on hand. Llueve a cántaros en Vallecas. At 61', the players abandon the field as it rains even harder. And the hail comes down. Players return to an icy field several minutes later. At plus or minus 78', Lejeune scores for Rayo--1-0. At 91', according to futbolme.ccom, Javi Hernández ties it, and 1-1 is the final.

1830 Getafe 3, Las Palmas 3 Probably neither going up nor down. I had to miss the first 20 minutes or so; tuned in to find Getafe ahead by two--goals by Mata at 11' and Greenwood at 14'. Can the Canaries get back into the game :?: Yes, indeed :!: At 35', Sandro Ramírez scores for Las Palmas, and it's 2-1. But at 45', Macsimovic makes it 3-1 for Getafe. And thus it stands at the half. 7,623 on hand in the Alfonso Pérez. At 50, Sergi Cardona cuts Getafe's lead to 3-2--game on :!: Indeed, Munir ties it at 57'--3-3. More goals coming :?: No, it ends in a tie.

2100 Valencia 2, Real Madrid 2 Real's lead over second place is six points. At 27', Hugo Duro scores with a header--1-0. And at 30', Yaremchuk avoids the goalie and makes it 2-0. Can Valencia hold the lead :?: At 45'+5', Vini Jr. cuts the lead to 2-1. And it's halftime. 47,427 on hand in Mestalla. At 76', Vini Jr. scores to tie it--2-2. Real put in what seemed to be a winner, but it was after the final whistle, so the game ends 2-2.

Sun. 3 March :arrow:

1400 Villarreal 5, Granada 1 Villarreal is capable of beating top teams . . . and of losing to bottom teams. Granada needs a lot to avoid the drop. Sorloth puts in a rebound at 7'--1-0. And at 19', Sorloth scores another, assisted by Parejo--2-0. At 32', it's 3-0, as Capoue heads in a corner. Halftime. At 47', Guedes scores to make it 4-0. At 66', Sorloth completes a hat trick as he heads in--5-0. At 91', Corbeanu scores the "gol de la honra"--Final score 5-1.

1615 Atlético 2, Betis 1 At 8', own goal by Pezzella of Betis--1-0. At 27', VAR penalty awarded to Atleti; Morata's kick is saved by Rui Silva--still 1-0. At 44', Morata heads in a rebound--2-0. Halftime. 61,901 on hand. At 62', Carvalho scores from beyond the half moon--2-1 and game on :!: At 79', Oblak saves Atleti's furniture. And Atleti holds on to win 2-1.

1830 Mallorca 1, Girona 0 in progress. Mallorca is in the final of the Copa del Rey; Girona trails only Real Madrid. Would you believe . . . At 33', Copete scores for Mallorca--1-0. Halftime. And Mallorca holds on to win :!: :!: :!:

2100 Athletic 0, Barça 0 Game of the Week. Athletic is three points back of a CL spot; Barça is two points back of second place and eight points back of first. Scoreless first half. De Jong and Pedri go out injured. If Barça wins, they'll climb into second place. 52,295 on hand. Game ends scoreless.

Mon. 4 March 2100 Osasuna 1, Alavés 0 #11 hosts #12. Scoreless first half. 17,215 on hand in El Sadar. At 76', Budimir breaks the ice--1-0 for the home team. Osasuna holds on to win and climb to tenth place.

The Granada-Valencia game, not played in Jornada 26, is now scheduled on Thurs. 4 April @ 2000.
Last edited by AlanK on Mon Mar 04, 2024 22:56, edited 54 times in total.
matt

Post by matt »

The Copa del Rey final will be Athletic - Mallorca.

A great chance for Athletic to win this Cup after the 2021 disappointment of losing two finals in a few days!

The other finalist is really a surprising one, more than Osasuna last year.
International break hater
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

The call at the end of the Real - Valencia game might be the worst since the Brazil - Sweden 1978 one. Not talking about missed fouls or ball over the line type calls, I’m talking about CR game management type calls.
Last edited by Sagy on Sun Mar 03, 2024 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Lmao pathetic
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Sagy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 23:52 The call at the end of the Real - Valencia game might be the worst since the Brazil - Sweden 1978 one. Not talking about missed fouls or ball over the line type calls, I’m talking about CR game management type calls.
He did the same call in the end of first half.
This ref must ne the forumite that call Real Madrid, real cheaters.
They will won anyway against the bankrupts and the new oilers.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Sagy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 23:52 The call at the end of the Real - Valencia game might be the worst since the Brazil - Sweden 1978 one. Not talking about missed fouls or ball over the line type calls, I’m talking about CR game management type calls.
Er what? There wasn't anything wrong with the referring. I would actually say he was favourable to Real Madrid. He gave them lots of injury time at the end of the 1st half to get a goal back. He gave them 7 minutes at the end of the 2nd half and ended the match in the 99th minute. He even let them take their corner when it was over the time already and he wasn't obligated to do that. Others would have just ended the match there and then before the corner could get taken. The corner went in, it was cleared away out to the wing, and he ended the match, after which Real Madrid put a cross in and scored when some of the Valencia players may have already known the match was over.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Polak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 14:26
Er what? There wasn't anything wrong with the referring. I would actually say he was favourable to Real Madrid. He gave them lots of injury time at the end of the 1st half to get a goal back. He gave them 7 minutes at the end of the 2nd half and ended the match in the 99th minute. He even let them take their corner when it was over the time already and he wasn't obligated to do that. Others would have just ended the match there and then before the corner could get taken. The corner went in, it was cleared away out to the wing, and he ended the match, after which Real Madrid put a cross in and scored when some of the Valencia players may have already known the match was over.
When injury time is announced its minimum added time because there can be a goal or wasting time by one of the teams and that time lots of time is extended. Nothing wrong with that. The referee ended the match at the time of the cross which is a dangerous play, a possible goal play, as it would be. You never end a match in a situation like that. Only a very biased person or someone clearly joking can say that the referee yesterday was trying to help Real Madrid
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Normally you write decent posts here but this one is probably your dumbest that i have read. Just to further mention this sorry excuse of a ref gave an absolute present of a penalty for the home team in the 91st minute. Thank goodness for VAR. So maybe do some research before labelling the ref as a RealM helper.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

So we are all very very clear, my statement is about when he decided to end the game. When it comes to game management, it’s poor officiating to call the game when the ball is being crossed into the box. The CR in the Brazil -Sweden 1978 game did the same thing and was sent home (IIRC, he wasn’t invited to another international tournament after that).

If the CR called the game when the ball was “cleared away out” there would be no issue. He also had the right to call the game before the corner, that would have been OK. However, the fact is that the whistle was sounded when the cross was in the air. Clearly he decided to whistle earlier, that is what makes it such a horrible call, he had no idea what was going on on the field.
Polak

Post by Polak »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 14:48 When injury time is announced its minimum added time because there can be a goal or wasting time by one of the teams and that time lots of time is extended. Nothing wrong with that. The referee ended the match at the time of the cross which is a dangerous play, a possible goal play, as it would be. You never end a match in a situation like that. Only a very biased person or someone clearly joking can say that the referee yesterday was trying to help Real Madrid
He ended the game before the cross went in. He probably should have ended the match as soon as the corner was cleared but for some reason he waited a few seconds. He did not end the match when the cross went in but before the ball was crossed so I do not see the issue.
Bulgarian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 16:09 Just to further mention this sorry excuse of a ref gave an absolute present of a penalty for the home team in the 91st minute. Thank goodness for VAR. So maybe do some research before labelling the ref as a RealM helper.
I did not label him as anything I just said he gave them a lot of injury time at the end of both halves. Yes he gave a penalty to Valencia incorrectly but upon reviewing the decision with VAR intervention he corrected it. If he was a cheat he'd stay with his decision after reviewing the incident, as referees sometimes do. As for your research comment, I don't understand it. What research do I need to do? I was referring to a specific incident in the last seconds of the match. It does not require much research.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Polak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:20
rpo.castro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 14:48 When injury time is announced its minimum added time because there can be a goal or wasting time by one of the teams and that time lots of time is extended. Nothing wrong with that. The referee ended the match at the time of the cross which is a dangerous play, a possible goal play, as it would be. You never end a match in a situation like that. Only a very biased person or someone clearly joking can say that the referee yesterday was trying to help Real Madrid
He ended the game before the cross went in. He probably should have ended the match as soon as the corner was cleared but for some reason he waited a few seconds. He did not end the match when the cross went in but before the ball was crossed so I do not see the issue.
Bulgarian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 16:09 Just to further mention this sorry excuse of a ref gave an absolute present of a penalty for the home team in the 91st minute. Thank goodness for VAR. So maybe do some research before labelling the ref as a RealM helper.
I did not label him as anything I just said he gave them a lot of injury time at the end of both halves. Yes he gave a penalty to Valencia incorrectly but upon reviewing the decision with VAR intervention he corrected it. If he was a cheat he'd stay with his decision after reviewing the incident, as referees sometimes do. As for your research comment, I don't understand it. What research do I need to do? I was referring to a specific incident in the last seconds of the match. It does not require much research.
You clearly stated he was favourable to Real which is a synonym to helping them. If he was favourable to them he would not call a penalty with ZERO contact. Thats what i meant by research.
The whistle came in just as Brahim was about to cross. The attack was clearly not over. Either call the game before the corner or let everything play out because the initial clearance was nowhere near a safe position.
The only good thing is that the title race is not close yet so this is not that irritating right now though its more annoying when i look at it today than last night.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Bulgarian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:40
Polak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:20
You clearly stated he was favourable to Real which is a synonym to helping them. If he was favourable to them he would not call a penalty with ZERO contact. Thats what i meant by research.
The whistle came in just as Brahim was about to cross. The attack was clearly not over. Either call the game before the corner or let everything play out because the initial clearance was nowhere near a safe position.
The only good thing is that the title race is not close yet so this is not that irritating right now though its more annoying when i look at it today than last night.
Someone might be able to do better research than my memory. Watching as it on TV and the replays I saw as part of the broadcast it seemed that the whistle sounded right after the cross. However, even if it was just before the cross (“as Brahim was about to cross”) it is still bad game management and a bad call. The CR could have “an out” if the attacker was dribbling the ball with his back to the goal (there was a point at which that could be argued), but that is NOT when the CR whistled so it’s not relevant.