CLGS 2nd round, Oct.3. - Oct.4.

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:18
Oldelpaso wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:34
anty1975 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 01:46
I know this song, heard it many times from Rangers supporters but never heard from fans of English teams. They sang it today?
The Newcastle song shares the tune (Marching Through Georgia) and essentially the first line. It does not have the sectarian lyrics. It goes

Hello, Hello, we are the Geordie boys
Hello, Hello, we are the Geordie boys
We're gonna win fuck all again
We're gonna win fuck all
We still follow United

Many English clubs have a version originating from the 70s/80s when hooliganism was prevalent, both Manchester clubs do for example. I won't quote the City version as it is problematic due to a reference to the Munich air disaster. The United version is

Hello, Hello, we are the Busby boys
Hello Hello, we are the Busby boys
And if you are a City fan
Surrender or you'll die
We all follow United

Does sharing the melody of the sectarian Rangers song make these sectarian by association? I'd imagine a large proportion of those singing these other versions are unaware of the connotations of the original and would argue not, after all there's nothing about killing Catholics. Indeed, in the parts of Glasgow where everything is viewed through a sectarian prism, they view Manchester United as a Catholic leaning club for instance.
Now it makes sense. He reacted to the picture I put up with "Hello, Hello, we are the Geordie boys" in the crowd.
TNT's highlights video also refers to them as The Geordie Boys in the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyo4rmpovdg
Polak

Post by Polak »

Howdy folks

I was away for a couple of days so didn't get to watch any CL football. Seen the results though and shall watch some highlights in a bit.

Biggest shocks

Both involving English teams. Arsenal's loss in Lens and Newcastle's emphatic win over PSG. Man Utd's loss at home to Galatasaray was also a bit surprising, although they are doing terribly at the moment so not as surprising.

Shakhtar's win in Belgium is going to give Dragonite bragging rights for a while over us who 'hate' Shakhtar with our prediction for them to finish bottom of the group.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Polak wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 13:33 Shakhtar's win in Belgium is going to give Dragonite bragging rights for a while over us who 'hate' Shakhtar with our prediction for them to finish bottom of the group.
Why bragging rights?

It's a normal result, an anomaly would have been Shakhtar not winning.

Lots of surprising results this week, Galatasaray winning in Group A, Lens winning in Group B, Braga winning in Group C, Real Sociedad winning in Group D, Newcastle winning in Group F...

I'll talk about each of them later this week in their respective topics. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Here's another great shot from last night at Newcastle:

Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Lorric wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 14:28 Here's another great shot from last night at Newcastle:

Did NOT break my heart, sorry Lorric.

I share Lubomir's opinion about selling morality for money by the English clubs and personally I don't want to discuss it any further.
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

Probably the black spots there represent oil.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Greyn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 15:08
Lorric wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 14:28 Here's another great shot from last night at Newcastle:

I share Lubomir's opinion about selling morality for money by the English clubs and personally I don't want to discuss it any further.
We never started discussing it, did we?
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Lorric wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 15:26
Greyn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 15:08

We never started discussing it, did we?
Whatever, yes or no, even if such a thread would show up some day in the General Discussions section of the forum I would not actively participate in a discussion. Although I admit, I would be a silent reader there.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Jua Ferreira wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 15:16 Probably the black spots there represent oil.
:grin1: good one

By the way, as expected great atmosphere at St. James Park yesterday :up:
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Vidibreovo

Post by Vidibreovo »

anty1975 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:16
Vidibreovo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 09:41 Hate and jelouse. Also evil. In every post you show this.
Evil are people like you who support Putin's regime, evil and not very bright. And now f*ck off :down:
How do you know who do i suport? Did I suport bombing people and any country or you? Told you onece you are idiot, pure evil. And that fu** off you can say to your mother and father, not to me.
Na svoju veru na svoju zemlju ponosan sam ja, za jedan grad na balkanu i klub u njemu zivim ja...
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Any mods here? You can check Vidibreovo posts not only today but also his previous posts i think its more than enough to ban him
Polak

Post by Polak »

Dragonite wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 14:06
Polak wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 13:33 Shakhtar's win in Belgium is going to give Dragonite bragging rights for a while over us who 'hate' Shakhtar with our prediction for them to finish bottom of the group.
Why bragging rights?
Bragging rights as you kept saying we were disrespecting Shakhtar for predicting they would finish below Antwerp. Antwerp lost at home to Shakhtar so you can gloat now.
Dragonite wrote:It's a normal result, an anomaly would have been Shakhtar not winning.
In your opinion. And before you go on a diatribe about how much Shakhtar have achieved in Europe historically and how Antwerp are nobodies, save it for the group topic as you say.

By the way, Somehow Donetsk were fortunate again. 2nd goal from a wicked deflection. 3rd goal because of a stupid goalkeeper error and then Antwerp didn't convert a penalty in added time.

As for the Newcastle topic people have been discussing, quite understandable for people to have a dislike for them after the Saudi deal, but don't forget Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. who also have/had dirty Arab/Russian oligarch money.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Polak wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 17:34
Why bragging rights?
Bragging rights as you kept saying we were disrespecting Shakhtar for predicting they would finish below Antwerp. Antwerp lost at home to Shakhtar so you can gloat now.
Dragonite wrote:It's a normal result, an anomaly would have been Shakhtar not winning.
In your opinion. And before you go on a diatribe about how much Shakhtar have achieved in Europe historically and how Antwerp are nobodies, save it for the group topic as you say.

By the way, Somehow Donetsk were fortunate again. 2nd goal from a wicked deflection. 3rd goal because of a stupid goalkeeper error and then Antwerp didn't convert a penalty in added time.

As for the Newcastle topic people have been discussing, quite understandable for people to have a dislike for them after the Saudi deal, but don't forget Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. who also have/had dirty Arab/Russian oligarch money.

A) Shakhtar has more CL wins than all the Belgian teams combined (this is for the "Belgians are better than Ukrainians" claims)

B) Shakhtar against Belgian opposition had 8 wins, 5 draws and 1 defeat (9 wins now)

C) Antwerp's manager in 11 CL matches couldn't win a single one

Is this enough for you?

Or you want to keep insisting that "the past doesn't matter", "all the good Shakhtar players are gone", "Antwerp has awesome players"?

As for the game incidents, Shakhtar had more goals which is the only thing that matters, but also more shots (16-13), more shots on goal (6-5), more corner kicks (4-2), more xG (2.3-1.6).

But sure, once again "somehow" they won a game that they "should" have lost, because some country ranking nerds wish that their pathetic countries can climb one position and Shakhtar's results keep ruining their dreams.

As for the "Newcastle topic", I don't know what you're talking about. They just got the biggest win in their CL history, they deserve to be congratulated!

The "people" angry with Newcastle's win are angry because their favourite team can't win a match against anyone for ages, so any team winning is "cheating" while the precious is "honest". If the precious actually won a few games then they would spend less time calling everyone else "cheaters" and more time bragging about how awesome the precious is.

Enjoy the matches starting in 20 minutes. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Dragonite wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 18:25
Polak wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 17:34

Why bragging rights?

A) Shakhtar has more CL wins than all the Belgian teams combined (this is for the "Belgians are better than Ukrainians" claims)

B) Shakhtar against Belgian opposition had 8 wins, 5 draws and 1 defeat (9 wins now)

C) Antwerp's manager in 11 CL matches couldn't win a single one

Is this enough for you?

Or you want to keep insisting that "the past doesn't matter", "all the good Shakhtar players are gone", "Antwerp has awesome players"?

As for the game incidents, Shakhtar had more goals which is the only thing that matters, but also more shots (16-13), more shots on goal (6-5), more corner kicks (4-2), more xG (2.3-1.6).

But sure, once again "somehow" they won a game that they "should" have lost, because some country ranking nerds wish that their pathetic countries can climb one position and Shakhtar's results keep ruining their dreams.

As for the "Newcastle topic", I don't know what you're talking about. They just got the biggest win in their CL history, they deserve to be congratulated!

The "people" angry with Newcastle's win are angry because their favourite team can't win a match against anyone for ages, so any team winning is "cheating" while the precious is "honest". If the precious actually won a few games then they would spend less time calling everyone else "cheaters" and more time bragging about how awesome the precious is.

Enjoy the matches starting in 20 minutes. :wink:
I have held the same views about Chelsea then Man City previously. When Chelsea's money came in I stopped liking them as a club. That was when Celtic had recently made a European final and done well I. The champions League so your theory doesn't stand up. I don't hold the same opinion on Arsenal, Tottenham, Aston Villa or Man United. They earned it with money gained from their environment and own resources.
Vidibreovo

Post by Vidibreovo »

anty1975 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 16:13 Any mods here? You can check Vidibreovo posts not only today but also his previous posts i think its more than enough to ban him
Hahahhahhahahahhahahaahhahah :applause: :applause: :applause:
Na svoju veru na svoju zemlju ponosan sam ja, za jedan grad na balkanu i klub u njemu zivim ja...