2030 World Cup

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Matt7r

2030 World Cup

Post by Matt7r »

Rob Harris of Sky news is reporting on X that the 2030 world cup will be cohosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco, with an "opening game" hosted by each of Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina. :?

https://x.com/RobHarris/status/1709580194804109447?s=20

A few responses to him citing considerations around player welfare, not really thinking about all that travel if FIFA considers climate change such a big deal and for 2034 world cup - leaves door open to Saudi Arabia (or Australia, or maybe a combined bid from the two, given what's happening in 2030!!) as Asia / Oceania would most likely host
Shing

Post by Shing »

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Oh that's a load of bullshit. It's going to suck to be the one who has to play the South American game. Not only do you get put at a disadvantage the other teams in your group don't for that opponent, then you have to jet halfway across the World. It would be better to give these three countries all the games in a group each, and that would also make the auto-qualifying thing more palatable as then they'd each be hosting a chunk of the tournament. I hope it gets voted down.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Lorric wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 17:32 Oh that's a load of bullshit. It's going to suck to be the one who has to play the South American game. Not only do you get put at a disadvantage the other teams in your group don't for that opponent, then you have to jet halfway across the World. It would be better to give these three countries all the games in a group each, and that would also make the auto-qualifying thing more palatable as then they'd each be hosting a chunk of the tournament. I hope it gets voted down.
The FIFA Congress will have to approve it.

I personally think it's a nice touch but agree with what you're saying. More games would have made more sense. What happens to Chile in all this?
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

It feels a little bit unfair to Chile and Ukraine which should have been considered to host some games.
Shing

Post by Shing »

FIFA Council takes key decisions on FIFA World Cup™ editions in 2030 and 2034
https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organis ... 0-and-2034
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Matt7r wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 17:08 Rob Harris of Sky news is reporting on X that the 2030 world cup will be cohosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco, with an "opening game" hosted by each of Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina. :?

A few responses to him citing considerations around player welfare, not really thinking about all that travel if FIFA considers climate change such a big deal and for 2034 world cup - leaves door open to Saudi Arabia (or Australia, or maybe a combined bid from the two, given what's happening in 2030!!) as Asia / Oceania would most likely host
Can't see them teaming up after Australia did the silence for the terrorism and the Saudis (with one exception) carried on doing their warmup through it.

In some ways, I very grudgingly, through gritted teeth, admire it. The Muslims make other cultures bend to accommodate theirs and don't give a millimetre the other way. I wish we had the same unshakeable belief in the primacy of our own culture. The World would be a much better place.
Shing

Post by Shing »

Wonder how the intercontinental play-offs slot will be allocated. Will all UEFA, CAF and CONMEBOL get an extra slot?
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

What the heck was going into their minds?
Money, yeah lots of it.
Maybe they were high and thought: "Hey, South America its just across that river!"

After this South America/Europe/Africa World Cup, Next has to be Asia/Oceania. Some matches in Tahiti or Fiji? Maybe 8 Oceania nations has hosts.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 17:46
Matt7r wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 17:08 Rob Harris of Sky news is reporting on X that the 2030 world cup will be cohosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco, with an "opening game" hosted by each of Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina. :?

Can't see them teaming up after Australia did the silence for the terrorism and the Saudis (with one exception) carried on doing their warmup through it.

In some ways, I very grudgingly, through gritted teeth, admire it. The Muslims make other cultures bend to accommodate theirs and don't give a millimetre the other way. I wish we had the same unshakeable belief in the primacy of our own culture. The World would be a much better place.
You could have 2 halves, one in OZ/NZ (with possibly a few games in ASEAN nations such as Indonesia) and the other in the Middle East. Qatar have stadiums that could host a few games, UAE have Abu Dhabi Jayed Sports City, Oman I don't know and Saudi some decent stadiums. Even Iraq, Lebanon, Kuwait and Bahrain could have a shout.

Admire what? Don't get what you mean?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:07

You could have 2 halves, one in OZ/NZ (with possibly a few games in ASEAN nations such as Indonesia) and the other in the Middle East. Qatar have stadiums that could host a few games, UAE have Abu Dhabi Jayed Sports City, Oman I don't know and Saudi some decent stadiums. Even Iraq, Lebanon, Kuwait and Bahrain could have a shout.

Don't want to get too political as we know where that leads. I had some "rant energy" to get rid of from the OFC 2 slots, ha ha. :lol:

But it's that they don't give a millimetre on their values. They'll always put theirs over yours. I'm not saying it's good or right, and I do believe it's a good thing for cultures to make reasonable concessions to accommodate others.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:06 What the heck was going into their minds?
Money, yeah lots of it.
Maybe they were high and thought: "Hey, South America its just across that river!"

After this South America/Europe/Africa World Cup, Next has to be Asia/Oceania. Some matches in Tahiti or Fiji? Maybe 8 Oceania nations has hosts.
Gonna get in on some of that Saudi Ca$h Ca$h mon£y mon£y they're splashing around I guess. They already gave them the Club World Cup. Or maybe it'll be in China.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:19
rpo.castro wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:06 What the heck was going into their minds?
Money, yeah lots of it.

Gonna get in on some of that Saudi Ca$h Ca$h mon£y mon£y they're splashing around I guess. They already gave them the Club World Cup. Or maybe it'll be in China.
Why not spread across Asia and Pacific.

Infantino doesn't want 1 country to host alone.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:16
Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 18:07

Don't want to get too political as we know where that leads. I had some "rant energy" to get rid of from the OFC 2 slots, ha ha. :lol:

But it's that they don't give a millimetre on their values. They'll always put theirs over yours. I'm not saying it's good or right, and I do believe it's a good thing for cultures to make reasonable concessions to accommodate others.
Trying to get the thread locked within a couple of hours of it being opened? :lol:

And your point?

Does our church give a millimetre on issues like gay marriage?
If I remember rightly Qatar allowed gay coupled to attend the World Cup which is against their values!
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

About what I expected. Spain, Portugal and Morocco with the backing of both Europe and Africa were always gonna be favorites while the anniversary tournament would've never gotten a substantial backing in a straight shootout.
Of course it ends up perfectly convenient for Saudi 2034 with no Europe, Africa and America to worry about so unlike with Qatar, them being chosen will even end up looking like the most logical choice.

Now we can even enjoy the totally unbiased and not at all money incited love confessions for Saudi Arabia by the likes of Ronaldo, Neymar, Beckham and Co. for four year longer...