2023/2024 Europa League Knockout Round PO

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Polak wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 16:09 But Braga are still 4th in the league, which is more or less where they would expect to be, no? Also last season didn't this 'clown' finish in a CL position?
We are tied with the 5th, by the look of things we won't secure 4th and lose it for our biggest rival and miss europa league qualifiers.

But even if we finish 4th is bad season because there is a big difference between being 4th but being close to the top or being 4th 15/20 distance from 1st place.
To finish 4th we don't need to spend 26M€ each season. 12 should be enough.

The clown has been doing an horrible job since he entered the club. His defense is a nightmare, but he was saved by the attack: he scored more than suffered (2 or more goals in Braga matches is a safe bet). Past season he made a perfect record against minnow teams in the league. In europe league for the first time we got eliminated, we where humiliated by Fiorentina in conference league, humiliated by sporting in leagie cup and in portuguese cup final we managed to be absolutely harmless. We finished in 3rd? Because sporting underperformed. Like this season finishing third would be possible because Porto is very weak

Benfica last season had a fantastic great 1st half of season and a not so great 2nd half. They were champions, so they were happy with the coach.
The same coach that made a disaster campaing in champions league, in league cup and will loose the league. Bad coachs do win to but if they stay time enough they will turn strong players, into weak players.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Odds for the 2nd legs:

Freiburg v Lens 2.20 3.50 3.00
Qarabag v Braga 2.90 3.60 2.20
Rennes v AC Milan 2.50 3.40 2.62
Toulouse v Benfica 3.70 3.70 1.91
Marseille v Shakhtar Donetsk 1.67 4.00 4.40
Roma v Feyenoord 1.83 3.70 3.60
Sparta Prague v Galatasaray 2.50 3.70 2.45
Sporting Lisbon v Young Boys 1.30 5.50 8.00
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Qarabag were 8:1 underdogs, huge surprise. To compare Dinamo Zagreb's win away at Betis "only" 4:1 with the bookies, big surprise, but only half as big as Qarabag's.
TrL

Post by TrL »

I have a question that I don't think I've seen answered anywhere (apologies if I've missed it). Benfica and Sporting are both likely to win their play off match I think, but both will be unseeded in the round of 16, which means they will have the home leg on March 7th. Since it's highly unlikely the Lisbon authorities would allow both games to be played on the same night, is it probable that one of these games will be moved to the Wednesday night? It feels more likely than swapping the tie around so that the seeded opposition club loses home advantage in the second leg.
naaba

Post by naaba »

TrL wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 09:43 I have a question that I don't think I've seen answered anywhere (apologies if I've missed it). Benfica and Sporting are both likely to win their play off match I think, but both will be unseeded in the round of 16, which means they will have the home leg on March 7th. Since it's highly unlikely the Lisbon authorities would allow both games to be played on the same night, is it probable that one of these games will be moved to the Wednesday night? It feels more likely than swapping the tie around so that the seeded opposition club loses home advantage in the second leg.
Swap will happen. Last occurrence I remember was last season when Union Saint-Gilloise and Anderlecht were to play second leg at home... in the same stadium. Since Anderlecht ended below Union in previous Belgian season, they had to play first leg at home.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Freiburg's odds are rising. First it was 1.65 for advancing, then 1.70, now it's 1.85 (Lens 1.95). Usually not a good sign. They missed so many sitters in the first leg, xG was 1.44 to 0.42 in their favor. If they lose it now at home, they have to blame themselves.
TrL

Post by TrL »

naaba wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:52
Swap will happen. Last occurrence I remember was last season when Union Saint-Gilloise and Anderlecht were to play second leg at home... in the same stadium. Since Anderlecht ended below Union in previous Belgian season, they had to play first leg at home.
Thanks naaba. UEFA regulations are vague on this sort of clash. If that principle was followed then Sporting would be the one to move.
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

TrL wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 09:43 I have a question that I don't think I've seen answered anywhere (apologies if I've missed it). Benfica and Sporting are both likely to win their play off match I think, but both will be unseeded in the round of 16, which means they will have the home leg on March 7th. Since it's highly unlikely the Lisbon authorities would allow both games to be played on the same night, is it probable that one of these games will be moved to the Wednesday night? It feels more likely than swapping the tie around so that the seeded opposition club loses home advantage in the second leg.
The principles (at least for last season, but there is no reason to think this season will be any different) available here: https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/02 ... 022-23.pdf
state that first team in priority plays on Thursday and the second team in prirority plays on Wednesday unless otherwise agreed.
SK Slavia Praha fan
matt

Post by matt »

BurningStorm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:59 Freiburg's odds are rising. First it was 1.65 for advancing, then 1.70, now it's 1.85 (Lens 1.95). Usually not a good sign. They missed so many sitters in the first leg, xG was 1.44 to 0.42 in their favor. If they lose it now at home, they have to blame themselves.
The same thing happened before the first leg too.
I remember that a Lens win was between 1.70 and 1.75, it really went down in the days before the game. Bookies either understimate Freiburg or overstimate Lens. Or are they right? We will find out in a few hours.
International break hater
TrL

Post by TrL »

quelhar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:46 The principles (at least for last season, but there is no reason to think this season will be any different) available here: https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/02 ... 022-23.pdf
state that first team in priority plays on Thursday and the second team in prirority plays on Wednesday unless otherwise agreed.
Excellent! Thank you quelhar.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Qarabag - Braga 0:0 at half time, Braga are harmless not a single shot on target, Qarabag passing more backwards than ahead, still had a few chances.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

The young Freiburg keeper with an idiotic rookie mistake, he gifted the 0-1 single-handedly. Then big chance Freiburg (hit the post) for the 1-1, but like in the 1st leg they couldn't use this chance (would have been an OG, but still) and then counter attack for the 0-2. Interesting. I hardly saw Lens in the box in the 135 minutes but somehow they are leading now with two difference. After a 0.42 xG in the first leg and a 0.32 now...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Qarabag with 10 men after their player got 2 yellows. Very stupid fouls both times.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

A ten times clearer penalty call than in the PSV-BVB game, but Freiburg didn't get this penalty. Insane if you see both scenes and then hear about both outcomes.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Freiburg finally managed to score in this tie. Now only one goal behind for the more than deserved extra time (but of course they won't make it, not smart enough).