Seeding for UEFA Club Competitions 2024/25

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
kurt

Post by kurt »

kurt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 Belgium

The best for Belgium is :

champion : Anderlecht ( direct spot in champions league ) ( low seeding, direct spot needed )
second spot : Club Brugge (seeded all rounds in champions league), big chance to make it to league stage(only club in Belgium with that high seeding)
Cup Winner : Antwerp ( low seeding ) ( direct spot)
third spot : Union ( seeded in all rounds )
4th spot : AA Gent ( very high seeding for a team in conference league )

Genk instead of Anderlecht is also good.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

kurt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:41
kurt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 Belgium

The best for Belgium is :

champion : Anderlecht ( direct spot in champions league ) ( low seeding, direct spot needed )
second spot : Club Brugge (seeded all rounds in champions league), big chance to make it to league stage(only club in Belgium with that high seeding)
Cup Winner : Antwerp ( low seeding ) ( direct spot)
third spot : Union ( seeded in all rounds )
4th spot : AA Gent ( very high seeding for a team in conference league )

Genk instead of Anderlecht is also good.
I'm going to disagree with this, as Antwerp is a waste of a European spot. I'd go with this:

Champion: Anderlecht for the reason you mentioned (no bias here)
Vice-champion: Club Brugge
Cup winner: Union (though them finishing second and Club third wouldn't be the worst thing in the world)
3rd/4th: Genk. I trust them more than I do Antwerp, plus there is the possibility of them being seeded throughout EL Q
Playoff winner: Gent, for obvious reasons
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

I mostly disagree with you both for the top 3. With the pots being "useless" now, seeding only matters in qualifying rounds. So the 2nd EL spot and the ECL spot need to be taken by teams who will survive in the qualfiers. For me, the best would be Gent and Brugge, but I doubt Brugge will finish 4th (even if it would be awesome if they win ECL), so I'll take Genk in ELq2 and Gent in ECL.

For the top 3, Anderlecht has a bad habit of struggling against teams fom the top 5, Brugge from the last 2 seasons can probably deal with them and Union is a wild card (big losses against an austrian and a turkish team but got 3 points against Liverpool and eliminated Eintracht Frankfurt). So I'd rather see Union in CL, Anderlecht 2nd (if they can reach CL; good. If they don't, an EL spot is great) and Brugge 3rd. Or Brugge 2nd and Anderlecht 3rd (at least ECL for Anderlecht).

Champion Union - wild card, can score some good wins in CL.
Vice-Champion Anderlecht (Brugge would be good enough) - can score some wins
Cup Winner Union - Antwerp is a waste of a spot.
3rd Brugge (Anderlecht) - aim for the top 8 in EL.
4th Genk - I hope thay can win 2 ties out of 3.
5th Gent - aim for top 8 in ECL.
naaba

Post by naaba »

Overgame wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 19:16 I mostly disagree with you both for the top 3. With the pots being "useless" now, seeding only matters in qualifying rounds. So the 2nd EL spot and the ECL spot need to be taken by teams who will survive in the qualfiers. For me, the best would be Gent and Brugge, but I doubt Brugge will finish 4th (even if it would be awesome if they win ECL), so I'll take Genk in ELq2 and Gent in ECL.

For the top 3, Anderlecht has a bad habit of struggling against teams fom the top 5, Brugge from the last 2 seasons can probably deal with them and Union is a wild card (big losses against an austrian and a turkish team but got 3 points against Liverpool and eliminated Eintracht Frankfurt). So I'd rather see Union in CL, Anderlecht 2nd (if they can reach CL; good. If they don't, an EL spot is great) and Brugge 3rd. Or Brugge 2nd and Anderlecht 3rd (at least ECL for Anderlecht).

I think we can all agree that Cercle Brugge qualifying for Europe would be a disaster for the Belgian coefficient. They would be unseeded in ECL-Q4 (maybe even ECL-Q3 ?) and might end up drawing Chelsea, Napoli or Lyon. Even Lech Poznan or Rapid Wien would probably too high of a step for them.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

naaba wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 08:27
Overgame wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 19:16 I mostly disagree with you both for the top 3. With the pots being "useless" now, seeding only matters in qualifying rounds. So the 2nd EL spot and the ECL spot need to be taken by teams who will survive in the qualfiers. For me, the best would be Gent and Brugge, but I doubt Brugge will finish 4th (even if it would be awesome if they win ECL), so I'll take Genk in ELq2 and Gent in ECL.

I think we can all agree that Cercle Brugge qualifying for Europe would be a disaster for the Belgian coefficient. They would be unseeded in ECL-Q4 (maybe even ECL-Q3 ?) and might end up drawing Chelsea, Napoli or Lyon. Even Lech Poznan or Rapid Wien would probably too high of a step for them.
Belgium is strong at position 8th, nothing would be a disaster fir them.
Last edited by amirbachar on Thu May 09, 2024 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

amirbachar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 14:23

Belgium is strong at position 8tg, nothing would be a disaster fir them.
But Belgium is by far 6th in the last two seasons. They should keep this up to fight for 6th in long term. But I don't think that Cercle would be that much of a disaster anyway, it will be a nice story and they look kinda strong this season. And if they fail to make groups, Netherlands is up there with their 5th team constantly failing.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

TommyChat wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 15:18
amirbachar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 14:23

Belgium is strong at position 8tg, nothing would be a disaster fir them.
But Belgium is by far 6th in the last two seasons. They should keep this up to fight for 6th in long term. But I don't think that Cercle would be that much of a disaster anyway, it will be a nice story and they look kinda strong this season. And if they fail to make groups, Netherlands is up there with their 5th team constantly failing.
Yes, that's true!
naaba

Post by naaba »

amirbachar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 14:23 Belgium is strong at position 8th, nothing would be a disaster fir them.
Yes but...

When a great 2016-2017 season (12.500) vanished from ranking and entered a catastrophic 2017-2018 (2.600) Belgium fell at 13th place and lost direct CL entrant (luckily Antwerp managed to eliminate AEK Athens in CL-PO).

Belgium is definitely safe at 8th place for next season (7.600 ahead of Turkey, or 19 wins difference). But next season it's a whole new system of competitions arriving, so I don't know what to expect. My biggest concern is that you can't be "downgraded" to another competition from group stage anymore.

90% of the time Belgium prevents "small" clubs from playing European competitions, whereas Portugal and Netherlands send minor clubs each season, that don't survive qualifying stages. But they have top clubs to balance results. Belgium has no club that can reach the levels of Porto, Benfica or Ajax. But Belgium has more clubs that have enough strength to survive winter (Antwerp, Gent, Genk, Brugge, Anderlecht, Union Saint-Gilloise).
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

naaba wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 16:15
amirbachar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 14:23 Belgium is strong at position 8th, nothing would be a disaster fir them.
Yes but...

When a great 2016-2017 season (12.500) vanished from ranking and entered a catastrophic 2017-2018 (2.600) Belgium fell at 13th place and lost direct CL entrant (luckily Antwerp managed to eliminate AEK Athens in CL-PO).

Belgium is definitely safe at 8th place for next season (7.600 ahead of Turkey, or 19 wins difference). But next season it's a whole new system of competitions arriving, so I don't know what to expect. My biggest concern is that you can't be "downgraded" to another competition from group stage anymore.

90% of the time Belgium prevents "small" clubs from playing European competitions, whereas Portugal and Netherlands send minor clubs each season, that don't survive qualifying stages. But they have top clubs to balance results. Belgium has no club that can reach the levels of Porto, Benfica or Ajax. But Belgium has more clubs that have enough strength to survive winter (Antwerp, Gent, Genk, Brugge, Anderlecht, Union Saint-Gilloise).
When Antwerp and USG first qualified shortly after winning promotion they were newcomers and did well, so why Cercle can't do the same?