2023/24 Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

With Real playing at City tomorrow in a tied tie, it’s possible that all three Spanish teams will be eliminated in the quarterfinals. Has any country ever gone 0:3 in the UCL quarterfinal?
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Spain will probably have their worst season since 2008-09.

The next worse is..2022-23. They are in a steep decline.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

I was hoping for Barca as Dortmund's opponent because they would fit BVB's style. Against PSG I'm more pessimistic, I remember two away games in Paris in the recent past and in both games BVB couldn't show anything. At least in both home games they were undefeated (one win with two Haaland goals and one draw to get the group win this season). Overall there are other big opponents the BVB like more. On the other hand, there were stronger PSG teams in the past, I think. So lets go!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Sancho is in the semis. Got to go back to 2010/11 for the last time Manchester United got to the semis. They got to the final that year, but since...

Group stage exit X3
Last 16 X3
Quarter Final X2

Pretty mediocre.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:17 I was hoping for Barca as Dortmund's opponent because they would fit BVB's style. Against PSG I'm more pessimistic, I remember two away games in Paris in the recent past and in both games BVB couldn't show anything. At least in both home games they were undefeated (one win with two Haaland goals and one draw to get the group win this season). Overall there are other big opponents the BVB like more. On the other hand, there were stronger PSG teams in the past, I think. So lets go!
But they won the group PSG was in. Group of death indeed, both teams in the semis, and AC Milan are still in Europe as well though look likely to fall to Roma.
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 22:22 I only watch it on second screen, but it looks like the red card killed Barca and it was the only way for PSG to come back.

The game in Dortmund changed a bit. Hummels' own goal was just uneccessary, no dangerous situation at all. Now Atletico's confidence changed from 0 to 95.
Actually PSG dominated Barcelona even when they had 11 players on field. I still think that comeback would have been done by PSG.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Lorric wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:21
BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:17 I was hoping for Barca as Dortmund's opponent because they would fit BVB's style. Against PSG I'm more pessimistic, I remember two away games in Paris in the recent past and in both games BVB couldn't show anything. At least in both home games they were undefeated (one win with two Haaland goals and one draw to get the group win this season). Overall there are other big opponents the BVB like more. On the other hand, there were stronger PSG teams in the past, I think. So lets go!
But they won the group PSG was in. Group of death indeed, both teams in the semis, and AC Milan are still in Europe as well though look likely to fall to Roma.
Yeah but the H2H was 0-2 and 1-1. In other words, PSG was the only opponent who won the H2H against Dortmund in the whole CL season. But we have to say the 0-2 was a long time ago, on MD 1.
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

Firnen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:02 A team fighting for top 4 in Bundesliga made the Semis, impressive!

I hope they eliminate PSG as well.
I hope PSG finally het their CL trophy and then Mbappe will leave to Real Madrid. That would be very nice. 😊
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:24
Lorric wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:21
Yeah but the H2H was 0-2 and 1-1. In other words, PSG was the only opponent who won the H2H against Dortmund in the whole CL season. But we have to say the 0-2 was a long time ago, on MD 1.
That 1-1 game in Dortmund PSG stopped playing when they did know that draw was enough to qualify. PSG should prevail against Dortmund.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Bayern - PSG again in the final ? (as in 2020) ?
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

rrey1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:43 Bayern - PSG again in the final ? (as in 2020) ?
And Tuchel would be on the other side this time.

@Sillu1991 PSG needed luck with that 2nd place, you can always get a team like City in the R16, so I think they wanted the group win. Maybe after 80 minutes they didn't risk much anymore, same as Dortmund who just needed the draw (lets not forget this fact as well). But at the start of the game they (PSG) were going for the win of course. Yes, PSG are favs in this tie, but I don't think they have what it takes to win this trophy at the end. The other half in the KO stage looks stronger (City/Bayern/Arsenal/Real).
naaba

Post by naaba »

It would be a sad day for football if PSG win it.
They are absolute favorites against Dortmund. That's the kind of situation in which they tend to fail in dramatic fashion though.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Bayern Munich v Arsenal 2.30 3.60 2.87
Man City v Real Madrid 1.61 4.33 4.75
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

PSG are maybe slight favorites, at most. And only because of Mbappé. Without him, Barça (I don't even want to talk about them right now) would've probably gone through even with Araujo's blunder.

Both teams are perpetual chokers. But, if Dortmund manages to choke less than their rivals, as they did today, they're not heavy underdogs.
offside

Post by offside »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 21:52I'm surprised that people still underrate Dortmund in the CL. They have played PSG, Milan, Newcastle, PSV and Atletico and lost only two of the nine games so far.
True. Borussia Dortmund deserves huge respect for what they achieved in Champions League this season. :clapping:
Firnen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 22:24As I said, Araujo eliminated Barcelona.
True. But it is also true that PSG deserves some credit for taking the chance too: without superstars like Messi and Neymar is now a way more balanced and practical team than in the last seasons, that can also win an important match in a night in which Mbappé is not shining. :clapping: