2023/24 Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

BurningStorm wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 23:19
ultra2013 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 23:08 Fantastic games for Bundesliga teams Bayern and Dortmund despite being heavy underdogs. They earned the right to dream about the final.
I guess Bayern have much better odds about winning in Madrid than Dortmund holding the draw in Paris, though. Any finalist would be awesome but at least the consolation prize of five teams in next UCL is in the bag. Leverkusen can play with freedom tomorrow.
For me Bayern was never "heavy underdog". Maybe there was (and is) a slight advantage for Real, but I wasn't impressed by their performances against Leipzig (2x) and away at City. In the end it's Real, you can't write them off. But they were not the huge fav in this tie.

Regarding the odds you might be wrong. Bookies give Bayern a 2.45 for reaching the final, I guess the odds for "draw or away win" for Dortmund could be a bit lower, we'll see.

@rpo.castro I agree with most parts of your post, but I disagree about the 1st half. PSG showed nothing, only woke up at halftime. Dortmund was clearly better in the first one.
Till the goal PSG was spending a lot of time in Dortmund field running the ball around the area and recovering the ball possession to go again. Didn't create any chance but they had more ball possession and more pressure. Looked like they actually could make something.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 00:48 I think the United fans are salty. Look at the fan-voted player ratings for Dortmund:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68934398

Sancho adrift at the bottom. :tongue:
I was wondering how is he dead last in the voting and the same time that was written about him: ‘Outrageous’ and ‘rejuvenated’ – Sancho has ‘mojo back’
Sancho shines on the big stage
England international Sancho was the best player on the pitch at the Signal Iduna Park.
amenina

Post by amenina »

rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Dortmund and Real Madrid I hope.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

I would be very happy if one of the Germans can reach the final, as both are bookie's "underdogs" in the 2nd leg. A new edition of the '13 Wembley final would be one of the craziest things ever for me because both teams are not in their best period/season. And how likely is that if Dortmund reach the final and it's again Bayern and again in the very same stadium? "History repeats itself" would be on point this time, almost in a scary way. But of course Real - PSG is more likely than this, so one German team would be very good, plus Leverkusen (if nothing strange happens) in the EL final in Dublin.

I feel like Bayern's chance is better than Dortmund's, despite the first results and the odds (BVB closer than Bayern).
naaba

Post by naaba »

Bayern and Real would be favorites against any of the others, but on 1 match I don't want PSG to have a chance of taking the trophy. Dortmund has to win for the greater good of football.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

0-0 HT. Dortmund should be pretty happy here. Another half like that and they're in the final, PSG mostly under control.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

No goals in Paris at the break. Dortmund play well, PSG had only one chance when Hummels nicked the ball from Mbappe in the last moment, looked like a certain goal if Mbappe was able to shoot, but Dortmund had an even bigger chance when Adeyemi ran on goal alone, but his shot was saved by Donnarumma's strong left hand.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Lorric wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 21:50 0-0 HT. Dortmund should be pretty happy here. Another half like that and they're in the final, PSG mostly under control.
And they even had the best chance of the game, Adeyemi after a counter attack. With the quality PSG have it's hard to imagine that they play such a weak half again in the 2nd half.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Oof, PSG hit the post, thought that was a goal, net was gaping.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Zaire Emery hit the outside of the post from 3 metres, PSG's biggest chance so far.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

HUMMELS
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Hummels heads in a corner, 0-1! :D
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Hummels heads in a corner, 0:1!
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Playing battleship: