2023/24 Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:47
rrey1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:43 Bayern - PSG again in the final ? (as in 2020) ?
And Tuchel would be on the other side this time.

@Sillu1991 PSG needed luck with that 2nd place, you can always get a team like City in the R16, so I think they wanted the group win. Maybe after 80 minutes they didn't risk much anymore, same as Dortmund who just needed the draw (lets not forget this fact as well). But at the start of the game they (PSG) were going for the win of course. Yes, PSG are favs in this tie, but I don't think they have what it takes to win this trophy at the end. The other half in the KO stage looks stronger (City/Bayern/Arsenal/Real).
Eem i think you didnt watched that game whatbwas in Germany. Dortmund where under hughe pressure all the time and PSG where oushing to winning goal until Enrique the head coach said that draw is enough to qualify. After that the game was dead. Before that the level difference was in that game. To me looks stronger than PSG is only Manchester City and Real Madrid. Bayern Munich and Arsenal quite beatable teams. 😉
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Sillu1991 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 07:18
rrey1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:43 Bayern - PSG again in the final ? (as in 2020) ?

@Sillu1991 PSG needed luck with that 2nd place, you can always get a team like City in the R16, so I think they wanted the group win. Maybe after 80 minutes they didn't risk much anymore, same as Dortmund who just needed the draw (lets not forget this fact as well). But at the start of the game they (PSG) were going for the win of course. Yes, PSG are favs in this tie, but I don't think they have what it takes to win this trophy at the end. The other half in the KO stage looks stronger (City/Bayern/Arsenal/Real).
Eem i think you didnt watched that game whatbwas in Germany. Dortmund where under hughe pressure all the time and PSG where oushing to winning goal until Enrique the head coach said that draw is enough to qualify. After that the game was dead. Before that the level difference was in that game. To me looks stronger than PSG is only Manchester City and Real Madrid. Bayern Munich and Arsenal quite beatable teams. 😉
Again: PSG was in huge danger. With a Newcastle win against Milan they would have been out with a draw in Dortmund, so of course they had to play attacking football for the win. Especially when Newcastle even took the lead (!) in the other game. For Dortmund it was a relaxing game because they were already through and needed only this draw to clinch the group win. It's not a surprise that PSG was the more active team under these circumstances. At the end, when Milan turned the game around, PSG (and BVB) didn't risk anything, I said it already. And again, PSG are favs in this tie. The only chance for Dortmund is to win the first leg at home, I think. In Paris they always have a hard time. Lets see, PSG already lost 1-4 in Newcastle, 1-2 at Milan and at home against this not so strong version of Barca. They also had luck with the scandalous penalty against Newcastle on MD5.

They have quality thanks to Qatar, but they don't have mentality, bottled it all the time.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Sillu1991 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:23 Actually PSG dominated Barcelona even when they had 11 players on field. I still think that comeback would have been done by PSG.
What game were you watching? PSG far from dominated and actually at 11 v 11 the game was quite even. Barcelona scroed and looked quite comfortable to be honest. Could have had a 2nd soon after. Of course PSG attacked because they had to, they were 2 goals down on aggregate. The red card was absolutely a turning point. After that Barcelona took off an attacking player for a defensive one and just tried to hold the 1-0 lead. This is when PSG began to dominate and it only looked like a matter of time before they would turn the tie. The penalty given away to PSG was also silly. Dembele was heading away from goal to the corner flag and Cancelo pointlessly lunged in and fouled him. Barcelona basically threw this game away. The red card made a big difference and they didn't know how to defend properly with a man less. Could PSG have turned it around if they didn't have the man advantage? We don't know now, but I certainly don't think they would have dominated the way they did and won 4-1.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Barcelona can only blame themselves, yes the red card was the turning point. From then on Barca panicked and made mistakes after mistakes. At the 1st goal Cancelo didn't realize that Dembele is behind him. Then they let Vitinha shot undisturbed and was able to pick out the far corner. The penalty Cancelo gifted to them was totally unneccessary. The last goal Mbappe scored was after the ball was poked to him by a defender, almost comical.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Assuming Dortmund win the Wembley final, finish 5th in the Bundesliga, with the Bundesliga making it into the top two of in this years UEFA ranking, will the Bundesliga then have 6 CL starters next season?

Or even 7 starters for the Premier League, assuming Arsenal win the Wembley final, but somehow fail to make top 4 in the Premier League, while West Ham win the EL and the Premier League finish top two in the season rankings?
Last edited by greenbay on Wed Apr 17, 2024 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

greenbay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 17:48 Assuming Dortmund win the Wembley final, finish 5th (or lower) in the Bundesliga, with the Bundesliga making it into the top two of in this years UEFA ranking, will the Bundesliga then have 6 CL starters next season?
It’s open to interpretation, the way I read it, the answer is yes.
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

BurningStorm wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 13:29
Sillu1991 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 07:18

Again: PSG was in huge danger. With a Newcastle win against Milan they would have been out with a draw in Dortmund, so of course they had to play attacking football for the win. Especially when Newcastle even took the lead (!) in the other game. For Dortmund it was a relaxing game because they were already through and needed only this draw to clinch the group win. It's not a surprise that PSG was the more active team under these circumstances. At the end, when Milan turned the game around, PSG (and BVB) didn't risk anything, I said it already. And again, PSG are favs in this tie. The only chance for Dortmund is to win the first leg at home, I think. In Paris they always have a hard time. Lets see, PSG already lost 1-4 in Newcastle, 1-2 at Milan and at home against this not so strong version of Barca. They also had luck with the scandalous penalty against Newcastle on MD5.

They have quality thanks to Qatar, but they don't have mentality, bottled it all the time.
Yes, PSG struggle away this season from home exept against Barcelona. 😁 And at Dortmund home its not easy even a draw in there is a gopd result to me.
Sillu1991

Post by Sillu1991 »

Polak wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 14:29
Sillu1991 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 23:23 Actually PSG dominated Barcelona even when they had 11 players on field. I still think that comeback would have been done by PSG.
What game were you watching? PSG far from dominated and actually at 11 v 11 the game was quite even. Barcelona scroed and looked quite comfortable to be honest. Could have had a 2nd soon after. Of course PSG attacked because they had to, they were 2 goals down on aggregate. The red card was absolutely a turning point. After that Barcelona took off an attacking player for a defensive one and just tried to hold the 1-0 lead. This is when PSG began to dominate and it only looked like a matter of time before they would turn the tie. The penalty given away to PSG was also silly. Dembele was heading away from goal to the corner flag and Cancelo pointlessly lunged in and fouled him. Barcelona basically threw this game away. The red card made a big difference and they didn't know how to defend properly with a man less. Could PSG have turned it around if they didn't have the man advantage? We don't know now, but I certainly don't think they would have dominated the way they did and won 4-1.
I vant say quite even when Barcelona first serious attack game when they scored... They where defending. So i dont know what game you watched... Look on stats on first half because red card game in 29 minutes. Total shots 2-11 to PSG. Posseison 37-63 to PSG... If that is not dominating then i think something is really wrong here. Second half stats is quite useless to compare thanks to that red card. 🙆
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Walker starting. Hope he's fully fit.

City have scored three goals in all nine matches in the competition so far. Extending this crazy streak to ten would be most welcome.
No to Superleague
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Barcelona are not a team which would be capable of successfully park the bus with 10 men. It is against their DNA, a philosophy of offensive football. I bet they don't even try to prepare such an ultra-defensive tactic during training sessions.

I thought that Simeone's Atletico should be able to park the bus and play a successful, well organised defensive football to protect their narrow win from the 1st leg. They failed twice, first when the score was 0-0 and then after equalising with 2-2 on the scoreboard they conceded 2 goals again. Maybe I underestimated Dortmund's offensive potential, but I think it is rather Atletico and their stagnation or even regression. In my opinion Atletico are capable of playing better and achieving better results with other coach. Simeone's time in Atletico should be over, particularly because (as far as I remember) he is a coach with by far the highest salary in the world.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

The moment of truth in the fight for 5th CL spot between England and Germany. After Dortmund's success yesterday I think both English teams should advance, one might not suffice, because Liverpool and West Ham are as good as out and Aston Villa are hanging by a thread.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Cancelo had a nightmare series against PSG (both matches). In retrospect, Man City look real smart offloading him.
I would put the blame for Barca's failure on XAVI. Barca should have been 3:0 up in the first half in Paris with a different manager. And in the second game he completely abandoned what was working against PSG in the first game.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Tuchel's line-up is more defensive than expected with Guerreiro as left winger. Not sure if it's the right way in a home game for Bayern, their best performances are usually when they run over their opponents on such nights. On the other hand, their defense wasn't convincible the whole season, so I understand the idea.

Makkelie is the ref :down:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Rodrygo puts a rebound into the empty net, 0-1 Madrid.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Bellingham beat the offside trap and after a nice attack Rodrygo scored for 2nd attempt after Ederson saved his 1st shot from close range, 0:1!