Euro 2024 Group C: Slovenia - Denmark - Serbia - England

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Dragonite

Euro 2024 Group C: Slovenia - Denmark - Serbia - England

Post by Dragonite »

Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Estimated squads:
Records and Statistics:
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

My current prediction of the Danish squad. Will go with Safe, likely and possible players in the squad.

Goalkeepers: Kasper Schmeichel (Anderlecht), Frederik Rønnow (Union Berlin), Mads Hermansen (Leicester), Filip Jørgensen (Villarreal), Oliver Christensen (Fiorentina), Daniel Iversen (Stoke), Peter Vindahl (Sparta Prague).

I have named three safe players here, because these have been the three preferred players in all the recent squads. All three are starters for their teams and sounds like they are mostly doing well. Schmeichel is still the certain first-choice, Rønnow as the reliable second choice, and then Hermansen as the young, future star. If any of them should be injured, there are four foreign-based players who would most likely come in play. Jørgensen is first choice in Villarreal and for the Danish U21-side, so I think he would be preferred.

Defenders: Simon Kjær (AC Milan), Andreas Christensen (Barcelona), Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace), Jannik Vestergaard (Leicester), Victor Nelsson (Galatasaray), Joakim Mæhle (Wolfsburg), Victor Kristiansen (Bologna), Elias Jelert (FC København), Mathias "Zanka" Jørgensen (Brentford), Alexander Bah (Benfica), Rasmus Nissen Kristensen (Roma), Jens Stryger Larsen (Malmø FF), Mads Roerslev (Brentford), Jacob Rasmussen (Brøndby), Rasmus Nicolaisen (Toulouse), Asger Sørensen (Sparta Prague)

The first five central defenders should all be certain in the squad, particularly now that it seems like a 3-man defense is probably preferred. Four of them have been regulars in the squad for long. Vestergaard had some time out in the cold and wasn't in the squad for the 2022 World Cup. However, now that he has started playing again in Leicester, he is back in the squad. He fits well as the left option in a 3-man defense, which further helps his cause. As fullbacks/wingbacks depending on the system, Mæhle and Kristiansen looks two certain call-ups and the preferred starters currently. Then it starts to become more unclear. A lot of right backs have been in and out of the squad. I think Alexander Bah is probably the preferred of them, but he has been injured for most recent NT breaks, and I feel like Jelert have overtaken him. The latter has the added value of being able to play both sides. If a 6th central defender is needed, Zanka is probably first in line. He knows Hjulmand and his philosophy, he is good on the ball and is now a regular at Brentford again. Bah is probably ahead of the other possible wingbacks if four is called up.

Midfield: Christian Eriksen (Man Utd), Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham), Thomas Delaney (Anderlecht), Christian Nørgaard (Brentford), Mathias Jensen (Brentford), Morten Hjulmand (Sporting CP), Matt O'Riley (Celtic), Morten Frendrup (Genoa), Philip Billing (Bournemouth), Maurits Kjærgaard (RB Salzburg)

Eriksen, Højbjerg and Delaney have been the preferred midfield combination for several years, and still looks like they will be starting at Euro 2024. Nørgaard still seems the closest competitor, but has been injured too often at NT breaks. And of course he needs to become fit from his current injury to get the call-up. Mathias Jensen is always in the squad as well. He has yet to really convince for the Danish NT, and is one of those players in the sight when Hjulmand is attacked for sticking to much to the same players, particularly those with a FC Nordsjælland background. However, he has remained a certain call-up, and performs well at Brentford. If a 6th central midfielder is included it will probably be Hjulmand, who has played a couple of time and has been in all recent squads.

Offense: Rasmus Højlund (Man Utd), Yussuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig), Jonas Wind (Wolfsburg), Andreas Skov Olsen (Club Brügge), Kasper Dolberg (Anderlecht), Mohamed Daramy (Reims), Robert Skov (Hoffenheim), Anders Dreyer (Anderlecht), Gustav Isaksen (Lazio), Mikkel Damsgaard (Brentford), Jesper Lindstrøm (Napoli), Jacob Bruun Larsen (Burnley), Nicolay Vallys (Brøndby), Martin Braithwaithe (Espanyol)

The struggling offense has a lot of players with very little to pick between. Still, there are probably a number of certain card. Højlund will start no matter the system. Wind and Skov Olsen are some of the best performing other offensive players and should be called up. They can both play different roles in different systems. Poulsen has been a certain call-up for many years. He is strong in the air, good at pressing and can play all offensive positions. Dolberg is also almost always in the squad, and doing well in Anderlecht. I think Daramy will also be called up, his speed and dribbling ability is unrivalled in this side. Finally, I have named Robert Skov, but that is a bit of a wild card. He might have an advantage if it remains only 23 players as he can both play the left wing back, as well as both wing positions. Also his magnificient set pieces and long shots could make him a dangerous joker. On the other hand, with a 4-3-3 less likely, he might not be considered as important. Damsgaard has been in many squads, but Hjulmand received a barrage of criticism for calling him up again last time, and again he played poorly. He is quite far from convincing in Brentford. So I don't think he will be in the squad. But certainly a Hjulmand favourite.

The above is based on 23 players. With 26 players, there are more options. Hjulmand is probably included then, as both Delaney and Nørgaard can have injury problems. In defense, the same argument could be used for calling up Zanka, but there is the possibility to return to a four-man defense, and then a sixth central defender is a lot. Bah might be slighly ahead as the fourth wing back. And again with a struggling offense, there might be an extra emphasis on players there. With 26 players, I think Skov might not actually be as likely as there are more covers and versatility isn't as important. I really like Isaksen, although he is the same type of player as Daramy. But I still fondly remember the 2021 U21 Euro quarter final against Germany, where him and Daramy blitzed the German defense again and again. Dreyer, Damsgaard or Lindstrøm would be more in play then as well, with a need for a creative back-up solution. For 26 players, I would probably guess to add Bah, Hjulmand, Dreyer and Isaksen, and then not Skov.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Prediction

1. Denmark
2. England
3. Serbia
4. Slovenia

Slovenia I feel are easily the weakest side of the three, sorry. Serbia are a fun side to watch, but they have more holes than Swiss cheese in their defence. Denmark/England games tend to be close, and I feel the Danes are due a result (though that might be a draw that keeps them top by goal difference). Also I'm a believer in good teams averaging out bad results, and Denmark are a very good team who just had a lousy World Cup. But worry not, Lorric, usually I feel like England start tournaments well but run out of steam - this time, I think they're going to build more and more momentum. England have Slovenia last and I fear for Slovenia there, it could well be a sort of confidence boosting massacre.

Or to put it another way: Denmark will start well, and be tricky opponents for the "bigger" sides in the KO round, England will build up steam and become one of the 2 or 3 sides most likely to win the Euros, and Serbia will fan out quickly because they can't hold a lead at a major tournament. And Slovenia will be in the group too.

(Dragonite is going to quote all of this in July if Slovenia finish top.)
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Michael S Collins wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 16:04 (Dragonite is going to quote all of this in July if Slovenia finish top.)
I won't be writing any predictions until I see the final squads. It's like you said your group F preview, one player being there or not can make a huge difference. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Slovenia will throw a curveball into somebody's plans, I'm confident of that.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

England is lucky to have this group. Serbia and Slovenia are currently no match for them.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

🇸🇮 Slovenia can become the giant killer of this 🇪🇺 EURO if they make the knockouts.

And I give them a decent chance to do so. Very slept on side.