Domestic Cups

Domestic league and cup football
Tom Corker

Domestic Cups

Post by Tom Corker »

Quite often on these forums we talk about which league in Europe is best or has the most interest, but what do people think about the domestic cups in Europe?
My knowledge of all cups isn't that great but I could hazard a guess. Also, what cups outside of Europe receive a lot of interest?

So to get things going, here is my top 10:

1/ England
2/ France
3/ Scotland
4/ Germany
5/ Spain
6/ Italy
7/ Netherlands
8/ Portugal
9/ Greece
10/ Russia

Have to admit, its a complete guess but I think it's a far more interesting debate than which is the best league!
Let me know your thoughts guys!
naeko

Post by naeko »

i didn´t see a lot of domestic cup games besides germany. but i would make my top 10 so:
1/ England
2/ Spain
3/ Germany
4/ Scotland
5/ Italy
6/ Netherlands
7/ Greece
8/ Portugal
9/ France
10/ Russia
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

I don't know what place I should put the portuguese cup in 6, 8 or 20th is the same to me.

What I know is that the portuguese cup games are usually much better than the league ones. I think that portuguese teams when facing elimination from competitions actually play to win, instead of the regular league games where most teams play to draw 0-0...

The best games I saw last year (2005) were Milan 3- 3 Liverpool and Benfica 3-3 Sporting. The 1st one everyone knows what happened, the 2nd one was a last 16 Round game of the portuguese Cup (played on 26th of January) and it was a thrill. In a way it was better than the champions cup because there wasn't a surprise, but there were 2 teams really wanting to win the game.

Benfica went up 1-0 but in 2 or 3 minutes Sporting turned the tide to 1-2 just to see it go before half-time back to a draw at 2-2. During the 2nd half there were no goals, but the best came from extra-time, sporting down a player (unfair!) had in it's LB Paíto the best goal of the year, this guy ran from his position on the back through the entire left corridor and after passing the ball between Luisão (benfica's defender) legs (I laughed so much because it was really funny how he passed him) he had enough strength to shot and score a great goal making it 2-3 at the time. With just 2 or 3 minutes to the end Benfica scored another good goal and made it 3-3. In penalties Benfica won 7-6 . But the truth is that goal of Paíto made the game to me. As a Sporting fan I still feel sad that we lost, but thanks to that Paíto goal whenever a Benfica fan says that Luisão is the best defender playing in Portugal, I just remember that play and say to myself NAH! No way, the way Paíto passed through him he deserves the WORSE defender award ;) .