4%
Swiss system (Uefa)
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 27

Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

krdel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 Cup is cup, knock-out all the way, one match or two matches irrelevant.
In Europe 2 legs is better, so fans can always get to see their team play. Since travelling to an away game is not always that easy for everybody in European matches.
Friesland

Post by Friesland »

I prefer the KO phase to be played over single legs. However, I'm OK with double legged ties in the current format.
In the new format that will be used starting in 2024, my strong opinion is that it can only work with KO ties being played over single legs. Both in terms of limiting the maximum number of match days and incentive for the teams to keep performing even if they've already qualified for the KO stage.
krdel

Post by krdel »

Forza AZ wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:36
krdel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 Cup is cup, knock-out all the way, one match or two matches irrelevant.
In Europe 2 legs is better, so fans can always get to see their team play. Since travelling to an away game is not always that easy for everybody in European matches.
That is true, but with neutral venue from the start on would also be interesting.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

krdel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 20:17 That is true, but with neutral venue from the start on would also be interesting.
With all matches on neutral venues, you will get most matches with a very small crowd since both teams will not take that many fans in most cases.
Todor

Post by Todor »

krdel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 20:17
That is true, but with neutral venue from the start on would also be interesting.
I don't think so. With only one match the teams are overcautious not to make an error and it results in many boring games.
When there is a result from the first leg, one of the teams always needs to score in the second, which guarantees a much more thrilling game, unless of course, the aggregate result is already too big, but still the European Cups provide much more exciting KO matches, than the national team competitions, which are played over one leg.
krdel

Post by krdel »

Maybe less excitment, but for me a goalless match with extra-time and possible penalties could also be very interesting. And there are also more surprises.

Cups with two legs have a lot of boring games, when the winner is already known after the first leg. So there are pros and cons. I said I am fine with both systems.
Last edited by krdel on Wed May 12, 2021 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Todor wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 08:29
krdel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 20:17
I don't think so. With only one match the teams are overcautious not to make an error and it results in many boring games.
When there is a result from the first leg, one of the teams always needs to score in the second, which guarantees a much more thrilling game, unless of course, the aggregate result is already too big, but still the European Cups provide much more exciting KO matches, than the national team competitions, which are played over one leg.
I agree with Tudor. Hardly the final is the best match of the competition, although I liked the last season format but I think it was good because it was an exception. There is little room for error. But I wouldn't trade the one leg final for a two leg. Final is the end and all people know that in the end there is one winner and one loser. Some will cry in happiness and some in sadness. So you can plan and create a good celebration, a real final. With two legs you can have all decided on first leg. Or having on team just playing with 1st leg result. That's the anti climax. We can do small adjustments but the hard core of competition works really good from start.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Delete
offside

Post by offside »

Todor wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 08:29
rpo.castro wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:10
Yep, I agree, there is not need to fix what isn't broken. :smile1:
offside

Post by offside »

However, I am glad to read also different opinions. :smile1: